• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Me-TV To Debut on Channel 3.1 in NYC Market in Spring

Will Cable-vision in Bronx and Brooklyn be required to carry them soon?

They have on their Facebook Page to call your local provider and ask for ME-TV 3 WJLP, but there's going to be no Cable/Satellite deals until Early 2015. I believe that's how it was when their sister station in Philly Channel 2 signed on last year. I believe is was only available OTA on Channel 2.1 when it initially signed on in the late Fall of 2013 and didn't get on cable/satellite until early 2014.

I noticed that on Saturday night at 7pm, KJWP, Wilmington's channel 2 [ME TV affiliate] now airs a half hour The Delaware Way program, hosted by Larry Mendte [former WCAU-TV Philly news a number of years ago]. This past week's show had an interview with the head of Del DOT and Delaware's infrastructure [bridges, etc]. At 7:30pm Mendte hosts a second show called, And Another Thing, that focuses on some larger national topic. It appeared that KJWP aired make good spots [that probably aired during Batman which is preempted for this hour of home grown programming].

To answer someone's comment earlier, Wilmington DE now has three TV stations with Wilmington as COL, channel 2 KJWP ME-TV, channel 12 WHYY-TV PBS [most of their operations are in Philly with a small Wilmington studio for their weekly Delaware news magazine] and channel 61 WPPX-TV ION-TV which airs no local programming. In Seaford Delaware channel 12 is simulcast on channel 64.

http://kjwp2.com/

Hell, they should use Channel 1.1.....that would fix it.....I hate virtuals.....confusing as hell.....to everyone...

A local LD signed on RF 6 after the analog 6 moved to RF 25.....they were using 6.1 as well for their PSIP.....but a lot of TVs showed it at 6.10 or 6.11........and how confusing can it be where a Full Power 6 moved to a new DTV channel and a LP may have moved to 6......(Dont think that has happen but still............)

I would like to see the virtuals go away after the next repacking and have the actual RF number used...its time....

I would like to see the virtuals go away after the next repacking and have the actual RF number used...its time....

That is never going to happen. There is far too much long-term branding with the virtual channels. Can you imagine if "NBC 4" in New York had to re-brand to "NBC 28" to account for their RF channel number? That would be very confusing to viewers. Practically ever station in the US would have to rebrand.

Hell, they should use Channel 1.1.....that would fix it.....I hate virtuals.....confusing as hell.....to everyone...

"Everyone"?

Does that include the vast majority of people who get their television via cable, and therefore never even really knew anything was going on in 2009, because their stations are still on the same channels after the transition as they were before?

Does it include those who have DirecTV or Dish who, like cable customers, saw no actual change from the transition?

Oh, it must include off-the-air viewers ... oh, wait, they either got new sets or digital-to-analog converters which -- with the handful of exceptions you alluded to -- auto-tune to the correct broadcast channel for the channel number the viewer punched in with their remote.

PSIP was deliberately put in the ATSC standards so that viewers would not be confused. As ansky points out, without PSIP the vast majority of stations would have to rebrand, and viewers would be lost. The average viewer doesn't care what channel is used to transmit, they just want to punch in the channel number they are accustomed to and having the station associated with that channel appear on the screen.

You do realize, of course, that the repacking will result in shared transmitters. Removing the PSIP virtual channels opens up an entirely new can of worms. Let's say that a "channel 2" station on RF 43 enters into a shared agreement with "channel 5" on DT 31. Neither one is on their original pre-digital RF channel, so who gets to call themselves 31? And what does the former 43 identify with? And how much more confused will this make the over-the-air viewers?

The only "everyone" here are those who are apparently purists in terms of the display of originating channel information. Tell you what: As long as that's the case, I insist that your e-mail display the numeric IP address of your ISP's mail server, rather than whatever domain name that aliases to. After all, it's "confusing" for me to not know the precise origination of your e-mails.

As of this morning Verizon Fios is now carrying WJLP on it's NJ systems too. Channel 3 (SD) and channel 503 (HD). Out of curiosity, have any other cable/satellite companies added it yet?

As of this morning Verizon Fios is now carrying WJLP on it's NJ systems too. Channel 3 (SD) and channel 503 (HD). Out of curiosity, have any other cable/satellite companies added it yet?

Nothing on Cablevision yet, but where I am we have WZME/Bridgeport, CT which carries the same ME-TV programming.

The FCC has put a hold on the cable/Satellite distribution of WJLP until the filing by WFSB about WJLP PSIP assignment is decided. Their argument the don't wan't displace another station currently on channel 3 (i.e. WPXN on Cablevision and KYW on Service Electric) only to later decide in WFSB favor and assigning it channel 33 thereby taking away WJLP ability to request channel 3.

WJLP to cease broadcasting tonight

They have an FCC ultimatum to change channels or leave the air. They chose the latter. Their emergency motion is posted on their website: pmcmtv.com

The only "everyone" here are those who are apparently purists in terms of the display of originating channel information. Tell you what: As long as that's the case, I insist that your e-mail display the numeric IP address of your ISP's mail server, rather than whatever domain name that aliases to. After all, it's "confusing" for me to not know the precise origination of your e-mails.

I would not care if the mail server got posted..you can of course look at the headers and find that (cmon KM that was a poor choice...YOURS is 97.74.135.218 ;) ).I just find from personal exp. that the virtuals have caused more problems than they were supposed to fix..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom