• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ottawa's 106.9 The Bear shuts down

Just not enough male support in the BBM diaries.

But if you're new in town with only 2 sticks, I guess you gotta go with doing a Female 25-54 format for the advertisers on the big signal. Even Evanov knows they have to skew younger with their lone property at 98.5. What Corus is going to do with 99.7 and that less than stellar signal will be interesting. But knowing Corus, probably not. I have a feeling 99.7 will be like Rogers' 104.9 in Vancouver - nothing will work.

The bear had die hard long time listeners that were even willing to put up with AM just for the love of rock on 54 Rock.
If they can do that, I bet the bear would still do well on that crappy boom signal.
I also don't believe the bear was "sinking". Too many people upset on Facebook.

If 106.9 really does go after 105.3, and succeeds, perhaps 105.3 will go rock.
It makes some sense. It puts two rock stations in the hands.
They'd still have to tackle Live 88.5 though, so who really knows...

Not to derail this thread, but it seems that Roger's has come up with something constructive for CFUN 104.9 in Vancouver. The Top 40 thing seems to be producing decent numbers. Still not enough to beat out the competitors though (CFBT and CKZZ)

Not to derail this thread, but it seems that Roger's has come up with something constructive for CFUN 104.9 in Vancouver. The Top 40 thing seems to be producing decent numbers. Still not enough to beat out the competitors though (CFBT and CKZZ)

Which still leans back into this thread with the very idea that 105.3 may simply be waiting first to see what 106.9 actually does and how it shows up in the ratings.

One thing I do not understand: why have we yet to see a country music radio station transmitting from the Ryan Tower? (Wait.. did they tear it down?)

Back to my thought, though; I really am surprised that the only country music radio station in the National Capitol Region is a rim shot from Smithe Falls. A signal on the Ryan Tower could very well serve Ottawa, The Pontiac, Renfrew County, etc. Although it would seem unlikely, it would not completely surprise me if a radio station directly in Ottawa "went country". I think CKVR 96.7 Pembroke covers a huge footprint of territory north of Ottawa, but they can't serve everyone.

One thing I do not understand: why have we yet to see a country music radio station transmitting from the Ryan Tower? (Wait.. did they tear it down?)

Back to my thought, though; I really am surprised that the only country music radio station in the National Capitol Region is a rim shot from Smithe Falls. A signal on the Ryan Tower could very well serve Ottawa, The Pontiac, Renfrew County, etc. Although it would seem unlikely, it would not completely surprise me if a radio station directly in Ottawa "went country". I think CKVR 96.7 Pembroke covers a huge footprint of territory north of Ottawa, but they can't serve everyone.

They provide a large footprint WEST of the city...there is a local at 96.5 (French Classic rock). 105.3 was once country before they moved it to the rimshot. The funny thing is the ratings did not drop but appear to be better now than they ever were at 105.3. Country is popular, but the only fans seem to live right where 101.1 hits best.

it seems that Roger's has come up with something constructive for CFUN 104.9 in Vancouver. The Top 40 thing seems to be producing decent numbers.

No it isn't. They're grouped at the bottom of the pack in the money demos. The very expensive hire of Kid Carson didn't benefit the morning numbers as it is also at the bottom of the pack in that category as well. Beat's morning show has 3x the market share of Sonic's which is astonishing when one considers the Kid Carson hiring. Epic Rogers fail. They're only selling on Cume.

No it isn't. They're grouped at the bottom of the pack in the money demos. The very expensive hire of Kid Carson didn't benefit the morning numbers as it is also at the bottom of the pack in that category as well. Beat's morning show has 3x the market share of Sonic's which is astonishing when one considers the Kid Carson hiring. Epic Rogers fail. They're only selling on Cume.

Thanks for the information. I miss "Fun FM", but this new "Sonic" thing is probably the best they have done with this station so far.

Thanks for the information. I miss "Fun FM", but this new "Sonic" thing is probably the best they have done with this station so far.

Did the numbers for Jack FM go up after Sonic came to be?
Regardless of Sonic ratings, the MAIN purpose was to eliminate crossover between Fun FM and Jack.
If Sonic were to change format, they'd really have to study what else is missing in the market carefully, and secure that it's not a threat to Jack FM, along with the ability to perfom with better numbers than what Sonic currently brings in.

Did the numbers for Jack FM go up after Sonic came to be?
Regardless of Sonic ratings, the MAIN purpose was to eliminate crossover between Fun FM and Jack.
If Sonic were to change format, they'd really have to study what else is missing in the market carefully, and secure that it's not a threat to Jack FM, along with the ability to perform with better numbers than what Sonic currently brings in.

Jack FM is a strange station. I tune at times and they are playing a rock song from the 1980's, then they will play a CHR song immediately afterwards. I don't see how anyone could listen full time, as the music selection is so radical. I guess the switch to Sonic to avoid crossover was fruitless, and Jack underwent major changes as well.

Before the changes at Sonic, it was safe to say that there were too many signals in the area for classic rock/classic hits. However, CKLG(CFUN) was a pretty good station if you asked me.

Last edited:
Radio Insight is reporting that jumpottawa.com was transferred to the Corus servers and that the rumour mill in Ottawa is now 106.9 going CHR. Incidentally, the last song played on the Bear was Van Halen's Jump. I guess we'll know Monday at 11am Eastern.

First song was Martin Garrix's "Animals." And after having listened to the station, its sounds like they have more of Rhythmic/Dance lean.

It looks like CIHT (Hot 89.9) just picked up a serious competitor.

First song was Martin Garrix's "Animals." And after having listened to the station, its sounds like they have more of Rhythmic/Dance lean.

It looks like CIHT (Hot 89.9) just picked up a serious competitor.

I would be very surprised if CIHT took much of a hit from this new station in city of Ottawa. I say that because CIHT is a well established station that has been on air since 2003 (according to wikipedia). Its not like CIHT is a station that is constantly in transition (which listeners have to reset constantly). That being said, CIHT does not have nearly the same amount of power that CKQB has. Its a difference of 57 kilowatts in between the two stations. I am assuming that 106.9 comes in much better in some of the outlaying areas of the national capital region for that reason alone. Not to mention, CKQB has a repeater in Pembroke.

CIHT's signal is actually pretty damn close in terms of coverage to CKQB's. Both make it to the Montreal western suburbs. You are very right about them never having to retweak. Their ratings are hot...and have been for years now. They have a very loyal audience among both language groups. There already is Energie 104.1, which does well among it's intended franco audience, and even draws in some anglos. People who have been listenin to Hot 89.9 for the past 11 years are not too likely to switch permanently. Throw in Kiss 105.3 (who's not doing too badly lately) and it's a fierce battle. Hot always comes out on top and will be for a long time coming. I'm being kind here to all 3 stations because you couldn't pay me to listen to any of them. I've gone from alt and hard rock to classical and news talk in just a couple of years. I still think we'll see someone pick up the hard rock soon. That's a loyal audience...and one I wouldn't mess with.

I still think we'll see someone pick up the hard rock soon. That's a loyal audience...and one I wouldn't mess with.

Both Rogers and Newcap should keep that on mind. The advantage would be to have two rock stations with the same sales team instead of competing with another rock station. (Rogers would still have to compete with Live or Newcap would still have to compete with Chez, respectfully)
However, if Hot and Kiss Ottawa "ain't broke" they're not about to switch to a variety "rock fix" any time soon...

Both Rogers and Newcap should keep that on mind. The advantage would be to have two rock stations with the same sales team instead of competing with another rock station. (Rogers would still have to compete with Live or Newcap would still have to compete with Chez, respectfully)
However, if Hot and Kiss Ottawa "ain't broke" they're not about to switch to a variety "rock fix" any time soon...

What about a radio station that sticks to classic hits and classic rock without intruding on the CHEZ playlist?

Demographics. That might be why CHEZ is moving more into the 80's and 90's. My dad is the typical classic rock guy. He loves The Stones, Zeppelin, Steely Dan and all the prog rock of the late 60's through the 70's and even into the early 80's. He's 65. Not what agencies and advertisers want to target. That's a mistake though. The boomers who are retiring have disposable income. I'm pushing 40 now and the rock I grew up with is now classic rock, the hit music I grew up with is now considered oldies. Eventually Classic rock and oldies stations have to start putting newer music on the playlists. The 90's were 20 years ago..and I had to remind LIVE 88.5 of that on their facebook page a couple of years ago..as they played more 90's rock than new rock. The kids in their teens and early 20's are the kids of my peers, and they don't want to hear "dad rock" mixed in with their music...we sure didn't either when we were their age.

Demographics. That might be why CHEZ is moving more into the 80's and 90's. My dad is the typical classic rock guy. He loves The Stones, Zeppelin, Steely Dan and all the prog rock of the late 60's through the 70's and even into the early 80's. He's 65. Not what agencies and advertisers want to target. That's a mistake though. The boomers who are retiring have disposable income. I'm pushing 40 now and the rock I grew up with is now classic rock, the hit music I grew up with is now considered oldies. Eventually Classic rock and oldies stations have to start putting newer music on the playlists. The 90's were 20 years ago..and I had to remind LIVE 88.5 of that on their facebook page a couple of years ago..as they played more 90's rock than new rock. The kids in their teens and early 20's are the kids of my peers, and they don't want to hear "dad rock" mixed in with their music...we sure didn't either when we were their age.

When Q107 Toronto was "Pure Rock" I didn't mind the variety of rock, as long as current rock was not ignored.
I think the real problem with "classic" rock is that, when not programmed properly, it gets stuck in a rut of same songs over and over, rather than exploring an expanded playlist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom