• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Most Powerful Radio Station in Ohio?

JohnnyElectron

Leading Participant
On the AM side, I'd assume it's WLW with 50KW and omnidirectional, but what's the next 3 best (day & night) between dial position power, tower, and ground conductivity?
On the FM side, does Ohio have any grandfathered 'superpower' FM stations >50KW ERP?

On AM, 610 WTVN (News/Talk) and 1100 WTAM (also N/T) would probably be the most op\\powerful AM's.

A quick scan of the FCC data base (which should knows these things) shows that on AM we have WCKY and WHKW in Cleveland. 50 kW full time. Or maybe most Ohioans would like to forget about Cleveland. There are also a couple of 50 kW daytime power only. On the FM side there is WNKE licensed at 100 kW and a raft of 50 kW.

I believe 97.9 WNCI is the most powerful with 175K Watts

I don't know if you mean now or at one time. Forgive me if I get the Frequencys or calls wrong but this is what I reccolect for AMs:

WLW 700
WCKY 1530
WGAR 1220
WTAM 1100
WTVN 610 (ASSUMING THEY FOLLOWED THROUGH WITH A CP REQUEST SOME YEARS BACK

ON THE FM SIDE THERE USED TO BE SEVERAL 100KWS THAT NO LONGER EXSIST BECAUSE THEY MOVED SITES, CHANGED HEIGHT AND MADE A MAJOR CHANGE THAT DROPPED THEM DOWN:

used to be calls and powers:

WDBN 100K
WDOK 100K
107.7 at Dayton 100K Don't remember calls
107.9 at Cleveland 80K was WNOB at one time later WELW
WNCI 175K

TVN never built the 50 kw site. They forgot to get zoning approval from the township, never got off the ground.

DBN was, as I recall, 80 kw but only 300' AHAAT, it's now WQMX at a more conventional 16 kw @ 880' AHAAT.

Don't recall DOK being that high power. 107.7 Dayton was WDAO, but don't think it was high power, just a good antenna location.
WNOB, like DBN, was something like 88 kw, big multi-bay antenna, but low AHAAT. They were close to 107.3, Elyria, so they were pretty far east of Cleveland.
In Columbus, you had WSNY when it was on a short tower at 70 kw, I believe, they went on the community antenna on the WBNS TV tower. NCI is still 175, on-top of the Nationwide building downtown.
The old WPAY, Portsmouth, was a full class C, 100 KW, with the tower in Kentucky. An ice storm took that tower down, FAA wouldn't let them rebuild, so they dropped to a C0, still 100 KW.
WQXK (once WSOM), Salem, is still 88 kw at 450' ahaat.

WDAO/WWSN/WMMX 107.7 was never 100kW. No Dayton station was, though WHKO had a grandfathered taller-than-usually-allowed tower height.

On AM, it's a no-brainer. WLW first, followed by WTVN and WTAM (not necessarily in that order). WTVN has a great signal across almost the entire state daytime (except for the far northeast), then goes quite directional north at night.
WCKY groundwave is pathetic. WDOK's coverage is awful to the west and southwest of Cleveland because it's so directional.

You have apparently all forgotten WKNR 850 with 50000 watts daytime. It's signal is better to the North Northwest than WTAM, even though it's a minor lobe, due to the low frequency. The major lobe to the South Southeast is awesome, but I imagine it gets attenuated in the hills to the South more than M-3 would suggest. It's limited to the North by CJBC 860, which under treaty cannot overlap the 0.5 mV/m contours on Canadian (CJBC) or US (WKNR) land.

Since many AM stations with less than 50 kW have DA major lobes in excess of the equivalent 50 kW inverse field, I think you are making too much of the power level. Even some stations with 5 kW have major lobe maxima in excess of Class B minimum efficiency 50 kW inverse field equivalent. WTVN is close to that at night, based on 282 mV/m @ 1 km at 1 kW Class B minimum efficiency at 5 degrees true. In fact, Carl Smith's original plans shown in a late 1940s NAB Engineering Handbook showed it exceeding the 50 kW Class III inverse field equivalent.

Last edited:
WNCI is the most powerful FM signal in Ohio @ 175 kW. In terms of which FM signal has the greatest signal range, I think that could be a toss-up between WNCI, WHKO, and WMJI.

For AM, WLW, WTAM, and WKNR although WTAM doesn't seem to have quite the punch it used to. When I was in Columbus recently, WTAM seemed weaker during the day than what I remember back in the late 90s as a student at OSU.

I did forget about WKNR, but with that said, that signal is a powerhouse in some directions and pedestrian in others because of the directional constraints. Where it's good, it's right up there with WTVN and better than WTAM.
It's almost a local in Columbus but when that sunset pattern change hits ... BAM. It's gone without a trace. I am not sure how close to Cleveland on 71 you must be at night to hear it.
Re. WTAM, I read once that there's a fault line around Mansfield that takes some of the punch out of 1100's signal in this direction. I'd believe it. Not that it'd ever sound as strong as WLW here in Columbus, but the dropoff on 1100 once you clear the Mansfield area is noticeable. WTAM still sounds pretty good in Toledo daytime and up the Lake Erie shoreline. Cancellation zone starts around Conneaut, with an overall decent signal nighttime affected by occasional flutter.
As far as FM signals, WNCI has that big wattage but their coverage area is underwhelming. IMO, WNCI is outclassed by several stations in Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo and Cleveland as far as terrain covered.

Technically speaking, the strongest station in Ohio is the former WPAY-FM 104.1 (now WNKE). It's a Class C0 station, and it's the highest class station in Ohio by virtue of its tower being in Kentucky.

I live in between Marysville and Bellefontaine, and used to work in a machine shop nearby. In the summertime, I would randomly pick up 104.1 WPAY inside of the all steel building. At times, I had difficulty picking up 104.3 which has it's tower planted just north of Marysville, about 6 miles from the shop. When 104.1 was coming in loud and clear, it would murder 104.3, completely overriding it like it wasn't even there. I spent a lot of time in Portsmouth in my earlier years, and 104.1 would come up on random frequencies throughout the FM dial. This was even after the original tower fell. Which brings up a question, where did they temporarily set up shop when the tower fell? The new tower wasn't build until about 3 years after the fact. I assumed it was on the WPBO TV-42 tower just to the west of Portsmouth when one night I watched lightning strike the tower and sent WPAY silent for about 5 minutes. Any ideas?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom