Alternative College Radio in your city???

Thread: Alternative College Radio in your city???

Alternative College Radio in your city???

How is college radio in your location? In the Albany, NY area....there are three well programmed...and live free form college stations....including big signaled 91.5-WRPI...which in its early days...functioned as the album rock station for the market...as well as much lower powered 90.9-WCDB...and 91.1-WSPN to the North in Saratoga Springs...

It's great here in Champaign, IL! I work with a student-run station that is fully commercial (programmed, sold, etc. by students) and unaffiliated from the nearby University. "Champaign's Alternative, WPGU 107.1." We play the more mainstream alternative stuff, as we are commercial and ratings actually matter. We're actually the top rated rock station in town, which is cool considering a bunch of hungover college kids are beating out the clusters in town wpgu.com.

There's also a traditional college station run by the students of the local community college, WPCD, that is totally freeform. So the best of both worlds!
    Shaun<br />Champaign&#039;s Alternative - WPGU 107.1<br />[size=6pt]The opinions expressed in my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employers.[/size]

atrainradio
    Here in Philly, its 91.7 WKDU Drexel University's Free Format non- comm station. 800 Watts and serves about 20 miles from the transmitter. Plays a great mix of cool indie/college, reggae (which has won it multiple awards), early punk and jazz. To me, it is the greatest station in Philly. It has turned me on to many great different artists (Doug Gillard, Zero 7, Neutral Milk Hotel). It's a breath of fresh air from all the big corporate stations that dominate Philly.

Here in central Connecticut, WWUH (University of Hartford) and WHUS (University of Connecticut) play a wide variety of music with a minimum of gab. WESU (Wesleyan University) mixes its music -- mostly jazz, reggae or Latino genres, with some rock -- with a generous helping of liberal, sometimes radical, talk. WNHU (New Haven) is mostly rock, with specialty shows on weekends, including a long-running Irish music show hosted by older folks from the community rather than students. There are other stations owned by colleges, but they don't put students on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
    How is college radio in your location? In the Albany, NY area....there are three well programmed...and live free form college stations....including big signaled 91.5-WRPI...which in its early days...functioned as the album rock station for the market...as well as much lower powered 90.9-WCDB...and 91.1-WSPN to the North in Saratoga Springs...
    What's the story with Siena University's station, WVCR? Every time I'm up that way I hear college kids playing burnt-out classic rock tunes -- their dads' or granddads' records, basically. It seems an odd format for a college station. Do they ever play anything less than 30 years old and/or unfamiliar?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    What's the story with Siena University's station, WVCR? Every time I'm up that way I hear college kids playing burnt-out classic rock tunes -- their dads' or granddads' records, basically. It seems an odd format for a college station. Do they ever play anything less than 30 years old and/or unfamiliar?
    They are running a voice tracked "Jack" type of variety hits formats....with lots of "underwriting" types of announcements too...I don't get it. With that signal they could be an Alternative powerhouse. I wish that WCDB had that facility.....

Quote Originally Posted by atrainradio View Post
    Here in Philly, its 91.7 WKDU Drexel University's Free Format non- comm station. 800 Watts and serves about 20 miles from the transmitter. Plays a great mix of cool indie/college, reggae (which has won it multiple awards), early punk and jazz. To me, it is the greatest station in Philly. It has turned me on to many great different artists (Doug Gillard, Zero 7, Neutral Milk Hotel). It's a breath of fresh air from all the big corporate stations that dominate Philly.
    I heard WKDU when passing through Philly last year! Agreed!!! Definitely a great station!!!

atrainradio
    Time Travler, glad you agree with me! My band debuted on there!

WVUM Coral Gables
    WRGP West Miami
    WBRY & WBUJ North Miami
    WKPX Fort Lauderdale
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!