• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

wnjo 1550 seaside park

What ever happened with this station, did it ever get on the air, I know around 1990 they built a 10kw-D, 3.5kw-N Directional Stereo site on route 37 a few miles east of the Lakehurst circle so I was told. I never heard them on the air but I do know the calls went to 94.5 when they went Oldies.

1550 as WNJO never materalized ..
Sandpiper Broadcasting originally held the license, until it was eventually handed over to the owners of WJRZ in 1991 ..
I didn't know a site was built on Rt. 37, but when WJRZ held the license, the proposed transmitter site was downtown, off of Water St ..
WJRZ even built an AM studio, next to their sales office, also on Water St, and went as far as "advertising" the station at promotional events, but they too, never got the station off the ground ..
I was told at one time that they DID actually do some on-air testing, but I never heard it first-hand ..
They also had a CP to "move" the station to 1620, but that fell through also ..
The FCC cancelled the CP in 1995 ..

Last edited:
Very Interesting, from what I was told the transmitter site was right behind the Silverwoods retirement development on Route 37, dont recall how many towers they had erected.

I found this when looking at one of my old broadcasting yearbooks from 1986, this is when they first applied, notice it was set at 1kw full time.0227040832.jpg

1550 WNJO/WJRZ was never built. Due to zoning (NIMBY) problems the construction kept getting delayed. Eventually they gave up on 1550 kHz and applied for an Expanded Band license, and the FCC allocated them for 1620 kHz, but that never got built either. The PirateJim site says, "With financial difficulties and zoning problems with their antenna system continuing, the station's CP was cancelled on September 14, 1995."

I think the owners also gave up trying because they knew they were a decade too late for a new AM station to be successful. In 1984 when they first got the 1550 kHz allocation maybe it could work, but not in 1994.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom