• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

oldies 933 relaunched as 933 wodc

U

Unregistered

They have dropped the cool oldies feed and now are broadcasting the big hits 70's and 80's feed.

Were the ratings that poor that a change was needed? I hear 93.3 in a lot of establishments around town, and know a lot of people who listen.
Looks like WQTT is now just about the only place to hear 60s music.

Were the ratings that poor that a change was needed? I hear 93.3 in a lot of establishments around town, and know a lot of people who listen. Looks like WQTT is now just about the only place to hear 60s music.

It seems like CC is doing a similar transition at most of its oldies stations -- at least the sampling I checked. Even WMJI Cleveland, which has been at the top of the ratings heap for years (no doubt largely due to Lanigan, who will soon retire after "forever") segued to "Cleveland's Greatest Hits" and updated the music. Some CC "oldies" stations, such as KJR-FM Seattle and KQQL Minneapolis made the change several years ago and have been doing quite well. Considering 93.3 was ignoring at least 90% of the big hits that were central to evoking the "sound of the 60's," they were sounding really stale anyway.

I was surprised that 93.3 used the word "Oldies" in their positioning. I seem to remember reading a few years ago that more and more stations were dropping it because it was being identified by focus groups as being music from the 50's and early 60's rather than more contemporary oldies and that potential listeners were more open with sampling, liking and staying with a station playing "oldies" but not identifying themselves as such. It had become a dated positioning statement.

Memo from Michael McCoy to the staff
------------------------

…hello 93-3 WODC!

Same talent lineup, similar music (but a little younger)!

Why? Because the Oldies name/brand paints us into a corner and never allows the station to grow and progress.

When? Tonight @ midnight.

New logo, new website, new name, STRONG results!

Take a listen over the weekend and let me know what you think.

www.933WODC.com (will be active soon)

Attached is the new logo.

Here we go…. !!

No thanks

I really hate how there are so many general listening stations in Columbus and so few niche stations. I loved when this station played a lot of 60s and now I hear Billy Joel a million times a day. If I wanted to hear that I'd listen to Sunny 95 or The Brew. No thanks. At this point, bringing an iPod to work is the way to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom