• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

97.7 Cross City

Nostalgia

Leading Participant
Now that we're back and a lot of the old crowd are stumbling back onboard. let me bring up an old subject. What has anybody heard about the CP for 97.7 Cross City WURB? When William Johnson bought the CP from Alex Media it seemed like every media outlet on the internet repeated his press release that the station should be on the air by Dec 1. 2013. Tick Tock, now coming up on March 1, 2014. Anything????

It might be a funding issue.

On another note, did you apply to move your translator to a different channel?

The CP would not expire until July 21,2014. Voluntary Assignment of CP from Alex Media to Urban One Broadcasting Network,LLC. (12/26/2012) on the consent to assignment it clearly states...The construction permit will be subject to automatic forfeiture unless construction is complete and an application for license to cover is filed prior to the expiration. Interesting.

It might be a funding issue.

On another note, did you apply to move your translator to a different channel?

Yes, I'm sure its a funding issue! And JPlainJohn thanks for that info. I didnt know there was such a short fuse on getting the thing built!
Kyle, no we left it alone since the LPFM window was upon us. Wanted to see if anyone applied for anything in our area. Looks like you have been busy in the translator arena! Good for you!

All construction permits except LPFM, expire automatically after 36 months. That is standard language. There are very few exceptions to the automatic expiration. One is if some situation beyond all control of the licensee occurs that prevents timely construction. An example might be that the local zoning authorities block all attempts at construction. A natural disaster like a broken dam, volcano or hurricane could also be grounds to ask for a temporary extension. Sometimes, a late sale within 180 days of the end can gain a short extension if the FCC is asked for such a waiver in a timely manner. In the case of WURB, the clock is ticking and it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it. I have my hunch, but I'm not saying....

Regarding the Chiefland translator, I don't think there was any reason to wait. The application to change channels would have had priority over LPFMs by its earlier filing date. Clearly, 93.3 is a fairly busy channel. If it were my translator, I'd be pretty hot to get off of that channel. Has the local response to it been good?

I noticed WURB just filed a request with the FCC to downgrade from C3 to A and put up a tower in Cross City. Definitely no chance of reaching Gainesville now.

I noticed WURB just filed a request with the FCC to downgrade from C3 to A and put up a tower in Cross City. Definitely no chance of reaching Gainesville now.
I plugged the coordinates into GPS Visualizer and they come out to the right of way along the Nature Coast Trail, right beside US19 in front of the old GP plant. AND just off the end of runway 31 at the Cross City airport. Now THAT should be interesting even at 37 meters (121'). Tick Tock, the clock is ticking.

I see that Mr. Johnson has proposed to build a new structure on the site, but there is no FAA determination of "no hazard" attached to the application. Although the tower is very short at just over 100', the FCC will not likely grant a CP for any structure so close to an airport without FAA approval. This is not a particularly positive looking development for WURB. They have until 7-21 to get approval and get it on the air. Time is VERY short.

According to a story on the Gainesville Sun website they plan to be on the air by mid-July and then immediately apply for change in city of license from Cross City to Fort White.

According to a story on the Gainesville Sun website they plan to be on the air by mid-July and then immediately apply for change in city of license from Cross City to Fort White.

Such a move is theoretically possible. However, it would require a directional antenna with a null towards Gainesville or reduced coverage. I am not sure what is to be gained by such a maneouver unless the operator wishes to earn a living in the area near Ft White. Because WURB has to protect adjacent station WSKY, it's really never going to be an effective Gainesville signal no matter what city it is licensed to. Of course, this idea will be moot if something isn't built out before the original CP expires next month. 29 days remain.

Last edited:
If I remember the story, the purpose of the move to Fort White is to provide better of Gainesville. It sounds like they would be better going for Lake City. Maybe they are going back to the original C3 from the tower near Bell.

If I remember the story, the purpose of the move to Fort White is to provide better of Gainesville. It sounds like they would be better going for Lake City. Maybe they are going back to the original C3 from the tower near Bell.

Lake city is excluded due to 2nd adjacent WQHL in Live Oak. They could go to Perry, as if Perry needs another radio station. The difference in 2nd adjacent protection rings for a Class A vs a class C3 is only 1km, so being a class A doesn't buy very much. The closest approach to Gainesville that can be achieved as a class A (using directional rules) is about 21 miles. To do that, the station would have to reduce power in the direction of Gainesville. Coverage would be abysmal. As a C3 from the original tower, they would have put around a 51dBu over Gainesville and it looks to me like that's about the best that can be achieved. That's roughly comparable to the signal that WNFB (94.3) has here. While such a signal can be received in a car, this is not adequate to compete in Gainesville, though there would be good coverage of High Springs and Newberry. Not enough people or businesses in those towns to make a living, I suspect. Also, the target population of the format lives mainly in the south and eastern parts of the city. Since the tower is on the WNW quadrant, the signal over the target population would be the weakest. Sometimes, a station just cannot be made into something more than it was intended to be.

Last edited:
Gainesville, FL listeners have some new options to tune in to. One new station went on the air in the first week of June, and another is coming around the middle of July. RNA Media’s WGMW-FM Gold FM 99.5 mHz La Crosse/Gainesville took over the frequency previously occupied by WBXY Party 99.5 earlier this month.

Read More Here

Well folks, the WURB construction permit expires after today. They have the rest of today to get the station built to the terms of the original CP. It could be the end for this station. Stay tuned...

Is there any news on WURB? Did Mr. Johnson meet the deadline and get 97.7 on the air?

Doubtful. No signal was heard in Gainesville, so far. I imagine that a look at the authorized tower would show that no antenna or feedline has been installed. Technically, he has until the 31st to file the 302, certifying that he is ready to broadcast, but unless he had installed the transmitter and antenna by the 21st, he cannot file the 302. My guess is that he'll now seek reconsideration at the FCC, but such an attempt is doomed because he hasn't got a valid reason why he couldn't complete the CP. Funding, or lack of it, is not a valid reason. An example of a valid reason would be that the tower was removed or destroyed or otherwise unavailable.

He tried, rather late in the game, to downgrade but made some miscalculations and basic mis-steps by doing his own engineering. These flaws meant that the FCC could not grant his application for downgrade in time - and still cannot. This could very easily have been avoided by paying a qualified engineer to create the engineering section. The problems were minor, but every attempt he made to fix the problems actually made things worse. As a result, the only permit he had was for the C3 which does not seem to have been built. This should serve as a warning to always seek qualified help in situations like this, especially when time is short - or be prepared to build what you bought.

So, assuming the CP is now lost, what will the FCC do with the allocation? There was no second bidder in the original auction. Will it go back to auction again or will they delete the allocation?

Last edited:
The allocation will not be deleted, but rather it will go back to auction provided the current CP is cancelled. Of course Mr. Johnson will have a second opportunity to bid for the frequency once it becomes available for auction a second time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom