• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 96.9 One Year On

What do you think of how they evolved? They seem to play more "Throwbacks" now than when they first signed on. They seem to be a pretty good station overall and I have caught radios in the area tuning into them vs. Jam'n 94.5.

I remember in August of 2013 when they had a full Urban throwback setup. It wasn't the largest, but it was a well-done set. They even did monthly updates to the throwback tracks to keep it from getting stale. But with it's current state, I would say it's a mixed bag. I think there was a big change in November of 2013 where they decided to put a lot of dance material of this decade in their to balance out the throwbacks, but I personally find them stale imo, and doesn't help that they play the same of those tracks more than twice a day. I wouldn't mind this if there was a big playlist.

The throwbacks in general have been very odd. Like, there will be very good throwbacks in the mix, but the number of tracks they can play are quite limited, so you won't be able to hear certain favorites too. It doesn't help that they now wait 2+ months to switch around their throwbacks. Here's an example, Aaliyah and Destiny's Child's music, a staple of this type of format have not been played on this station for a good 4 months now. There are tracks that they have played exactly one year ago, and haven't touched them a year later. Even worse, there are literally no 80's tracks in the mix at all, and focus more on the 2000's throwbacks, and while there are 90's music, there really should be a lot more than what their playing.

The currents while not bad seem to be a bit off, like, in January they added Right There, and Do What You Want on the playlist, which makes sense for the sound, but thing is, Right There has already flopped by the time they added it, so their not very good at keeping up with the hits.

I honestly think that a bigger playlist would solve all these issues and make station way less repetitive. The other stations Greater Media has owned, WBOS (Alternative) WMJX (AC), have huge playlists for a good reason because of this, so why can't this one? One thing this station does have that make it stand out from other RAC's are the street tracks they throw in. There not many but are a nice addition I would like to see expanded with the other genres. This type of station begs for a huge playlist, and would be a lot better for it.

I remember in August of 2013 when they had a full Urban throwback setup. It wasn't the largest, but it was a well-done set. They even did monthly updates to the throwback tracks to keep it from getting stale. But with it's current state, I would say it's a mixed bag. I think there was a big change in November of 2013 where they decided to put a lot of dance material of this decade in their to balance out the throwbacks, but I personally find them stale imo, and doesn't help that they play the same of those tracks more than twice a day. I wouldn't mind this if there was a big playlist.

The throwbacks in general have been very odd. Like, there will be very good throwbacks in the mix, but the number of tracks they can play are quite limited, so you won't be able to hear certain favorites too. It doesn't help that they now wait 2+ months to switch around their throwbacks. Here's an example, Aaliyah and Destiny's Child's music, a staple of this type of format have not been played on this station for a good 4 months now. There are tracks that they have played exactly one year ago, and haven't touched them a year later. Even worse, there are literally no 80's tracks in the mix at all, and focus more on the 2000's throwbacks, and while there are 90's music, there really should be a lot more than what their playing.

The currents while not bad seem to be a bit off, like, in January they added Right There, and Do What You Want on the playlist, which makes sense for the sound, but thing is, Right There has already flopped by the time they added it, so their not very good at keeping up with the hits.

I honestly think that a bigger playlist would solve all these issues and make station way less repetitive. The other stations Greater Media has owned, WBOS (Alternative) WMJX (AC), have huge playlists for a good reason because of this, so why can't this one? One thing this station does have that make it stand out from other RAC's are the street tracks they throw in. There not many but are a nice addition I would like to see expanded with the other genres. This type of station begs for a huge playlist, and would be a lot better for it.

What the hell is wrong with you people, all the time i respond or create a topic, you all pick on me. Bash and pick on someone else.

Lauro, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Almost EVERY post of yours seems to repeat the same things. Adult Urban Contemporary...and syndicated programs.

Continually suggesting firing local DJ's and replacing them with generic nationally fed shows is not going to make you popular with the radio pros in Boston.

WBQT Hot 96.9 has done so much in just little over a year. I hear it everywhere (in stores, construction sites, Mary Lou's coffee shop, etc) and most of my friends (24-33 age group or so) love the station, and think Jam'n is wack. I also have a diverse group of friends, caucasian, African American, Spanish, foreign etc. The mixshows are SOLID. Roy Barboza has improved quite a bit since the beginning last year. The main playlist is pretty good, could do without Lady Gaga though, heh. Otherwise they still have a strong urban lean and the mix sounds good. They have some great throwbacks like The Lox "Money Power and Respect" and 2Pac & Outlawz "Baby Don't Cry" in rotation. They recently added Chris Brown & Nicki Minaj "Love More" and Katy Perry & Juicy J "Dark Horse", which has done well on Rhythmic and Urban. Just listening to the midday mix. I just heard Nas & KRS-One. #1 on my presets. Jackson Blue was a GREAT addition, btw. They deserve the 4.0 rating they have. Imagine, the old talk format a year or two ago barely doing 1.8's.

Last edited:
More Trash Radio for Mindless Imbicles .

Peter Smyth is a sell out. But as an original Time Salesman who could expect more out of the CEO than looking after the Budweiser and acne cream accounts.

More Trash Radio for Mindless Imbicles .

Peter Smyth is a sell out. But as an original Time Salesman who could expect more out of the CEO than looking after the Budweiser and acne cream accounts.

I listen to the station, so does that mean I'm a "mindless imbecile?" And it's spelled "IMBECILE" not "imbicle" (how ironic). How could you blame the CEO when the numbers were in the effing toilet when they were doing talk. They were doing 1.7's. Now they're at a 4.0. Sounds like you're out of the demo, and your post should just say "get off my lawn."

I listen to the station, so does that mean I'm a "mindless imbecile?" And it's spelled "IMBECILE" not "imbicle" (how ironic). How could you blame the CEO when the numbers were in the effing toilet when they were doing talk. They were doing 1.7's. Now they're at a 4.0. Sounds like you're out of the demo, and your post should just say "get off my lawn."

Hey, at least he didn't call the listeners "subhuman mongrels," like Ted "Get Off My Lawn or I'll Shoot You Dead" Nugent!

WBQT Hot 96.9 has done so much in just little over a year. I hear it everywhere (in stores, construction sites, Mary Lou's coffee shop, etc) and most of my friends (24-33 age group or so) love the station, and think Jam'n is wack

I agree, I've noticed a number of radios turned into 96.9 also.

oh how i missed this sight hot 96.9 has come along way and I don't see them going anywhere so all you old crows get off my lawn lol

big city 101.3 is the best out there. Who else plays Maxi Priest new song? Tell me who? touch 106.1 is also great. They cater to the community.
Jill Strada ought to be ashamed of herself. She used to be an assistant boss at KISS 98.7. For someone who used to work at that station, and come here to boston, to put the same songs on that's on other stations. come on now

Maxi Priest hasn't released any new music in 7 years, and hasn't even charted on the R&B charts in over 18 years... doesn't that tell you that nobody's interested in Maxi Priest?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom