• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Johnstown DJ Says She Was Fired For the Acts of Her Ex

The petition to get Ms. Lane her job back now has nearly 20,000 signatures - not that the deaf dumbos at Forever Broadcastibng have indicated that they care.

The article below, concerning the upcoming trial of her abusive and apparently mentally unstable ex husband, alludes to what may be the details of his actions alluded to in the dismissal letter.

Apparently the ex husband went onto Forever Broadcasting property and vandalized several vehicles. He is now in jail on those charges and about twenty other.

So what is the rationale for firing his ex wife because he is a jerk? I can't think of any other than wimpiness and fear.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/x1669978425/Accused-stalker-heading-to-trial

This guy has a nasty history. He was out on probation when this happened. Why was he walking the streets? The legal system has failed her miserably.

Quite true. But what about her employer? By choosing to fire her over the actions of a third party they've failed her as well. An ongoing torch of adverse publicity (and perhaps a lawsuit) needs to be applied here until Forever Broadcasting changes its position or offers a rationale beyond what has been doe to date..

I hate to see bad things (like bad owners) happen to once-great radio stations. I had the opportunity to work for some of the best after I left Altoona near the end of the Bixler-Birdsall days and I can still say truthfully that WVAM was the second-best station I ever worked for. Let's just say I've heard stories about Forever Broadcasting. It's a shame.

Well, I tried to call the station for comment (Lynn Deppen 814-941-9800 according to their website) and was given a number for Mr. Deppen in Pittsburgh (412/221-1629). I have a request for a return call from their controller at the first number (he was still out to lunch at what would have been 2:30 their local time). I suggest that others should follow my example and report back any results.

This entire case has become a “cause celebre” over on the ethics alarms website

http://ethicsalarms.com/2014/02/11/...ethical-course/comment-page-1/#comment-169404

Sample comments:

Pro Forever Broadcasting:

We all have an obligation to keep our private life from adversely affecting our work. Forever Broadcasting’s ethical duty is not to risk its business, the health and safety of its employees, and expensive lawsuits for the benefit of one employee in crisis; its duty is, in fact, the exact opposite. The duty is to eliminate the potential workplace disruption and danger, and to get on with its mission. This decision is necessarily cruel and unfair from Nancy’s point of view, but that is what zero sum ethics is. For the company to meet its primary obligations requires it to leave Nancy to her own resources. It would be irresponsible for Forever Broadcasting to do anything else. Nancy Lane has no right or justification to demand that the company shift its priorities from broadcasting to helping the victims of domestic abuse.

We pay for our mistakes. She married a violent nut job, and, unfortunately, she’s the one who will pay the price for the mistake. The rule isn’t “do your best to keep your private life from interfering with you job.” The rule is: if it happens, and there isn’t a law forcing the business to accommodate you, then you are in trouble. Strict liability.

Anti-Forever broadcasting:

It seems to me that a quite proper mission of a company can be to include its employees as stakeholders on par with others. We are getting past the narrow minded view that a corporation only obligation is to shareholders, so this is not a radical proposition. In addition, and I am influenced by currently reading a biography of Marvin Bauer, you can make a pretty good case I’m purely business terms that the devotion to the welfare of employees as individual human beings, extending past the W-2 form relationship, is a remarkably powerful business strategy. McKinsey is Exhibit A, but there are others.

We must also ask ourselves, would this same decision be made if the CEO of Forever Broadcasting was the subject to identical harassment? Would the consequences be the same? If not, then the termination is unethical.

I understand the reasons but am not in complete agreement that the radio host should have been terminated for the actions of her ex-husband. The idea that we protect the group by sacrificing the weak to the predator works fine in the jungle but human predators can only be stopped when met with uncompromising power; and we are not animals without the ability to reason. The predator always separates the prey from the pack. That is the modus operandi of the predator. If we took a lesson from the African water buffalo that puts the weak inside the herd and faces the predator head on, maybe the harassment would stop.

Forever Broadcasting operates in 5 different markets with over twenty stations. It seems to me that she could have been provided an opportunity to work in an alternate capacity in one of the other markets. This would help her find employment in an area unknown to the ex- husband. Granted she would have to take steps to protect the identity of her location but if the perpetrator is jailed it will be far more difficult for him to track her down. Such options should be considered first and termination should be the last resort.

See the link above for further back and forth on this fascinating dilemma – thus far no response from Forever Broadcasting management
For further comments see the petition page – now over 20,000 signatories strong

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/502/...ncy-who-was-fired-over-her-ex-husbands-abuse/

I don't know how many RD site readers follow the Altoona/Johnstown page but perhaps those who do may find tghis link useful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom