• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Good to have Radio Discussions (and the historical posts) back!

woodyrr

Frequent Participant
Looking forward to reading the forum and seeing familiar usernames again!

I'm glad to see the historical is back. With that being said, there have been entirely too many changes, suspensions, and outages to ever recover the "audience" this board had in the past. Game over, I'm afraid, for any new meaningful contributions....

It's about like an AM station that keeps going off the air, more off time than staying on. They used to have a decent audience, but being off the air for months at a time, messing with things, and goofing with programming, etc. At some point the audience simply vanishes, never to return. That's R-I/ RD, I'm afraid...

Is it that, or are cheap data and cellphones supporting Pandora or other services where listeners are going?

OTA Television is threatened by cable and satellite like never before, even with high rates.

That said, I have seen stations that were off-air and sold to others that have made a grand re-opening and make a comeback to become the dominant station in their format.
AM, not so much... but certain markets can support a returning AM if they serve the people that listen.

This forum only has a shadow of the activity it once did before it went offline. It surprises me the old audience hasn't rediscovered it by now.

There are some corny old sayings in our American culture that probably fit into this conversation.

How long are you going to keep beating that dead horse?

The daily floggings will continue until morale improves to an acceptable level.

There are more.

Culture changes. Many of us had been considering just walking away from discussion boards BEFORE this one closed up for awhile. Some of us come here because we used to work in an industry called broadcasting. The one we knew doesn't exist any more. Why would we come here and try to participate in discussions about the new things in radio and the new things in society. If I want politics... there are better boards for that. If I want religion... there are better boards for that. If I want to pig-out with music 24/7, there are better boards for that.

I look at the average age of the people I miss the most around here and realize that they, like me, are saying: Why would I go to a discussion group about an industry that has changed until I hardly recognize it any more.

My pastor wrote a weekly letter today about serving as "Principal for a day" at an elementary school in his neighborhood. He reminded us how different schools are today from what they were a few years ago.

I'm trying to be the webmaster for the site of a local political group. I ask myself why. I don't recognize either political party as being what I remember them being 25 years ago.

I can't go to the store and buy blue-jeans made the way I want any more. Today's jeans are different and the stores don't know how to deal with those of us who ask why.

I bought a nice new car 4 years ago and I am still discovering features (and limitations) that are new to me.

It makes no sense to keep beating a horse after it quits breathing. I don't envy the folks behind the scenes trying to make this board function. They are aiming at a rapidly moving target. Part of the world wants Forums to work just like they did when we used DOS computers and modems, and part of the world wants everything to be "Facebook Junior for Broadcasting". I'm sitting here sucking my thumb while I try to decide which group I like the best.

There are some corny old sayings in our American culture that probably fit into this conversation.

How long are you going to keep beating that dead horse?

The daily floggings will continue until morale improves to an acceptable level.

There are more.

Culture changes. Many of us had been considering just walking away from discussion boards BEFORE this one closed up for awhile. Some of us come here because we used to work in an industry called broadcasting. The one we knew doesn't exist any more. Why would we come here and try to participate in discussions about the new things in radio and the new things in society. If I want politics... there are better boards for that. If I want religion... there are better boards for that. If I want to pig-out with music 24/7, there are better boards for that.

I look at the average age of the people I miss the most around here and realize that they, like me, are saying: Why would I go to a discussion group about an industry that has changed until I hardly recognize it any more.

My pastor wrote a weekly letter today about serving as "Principal for a day" at an elementary school in his neighborhood. He reminded us how different schools are today from what they were a few years ago.

I'm trying to be the webmaster for the site of a local political group. I ask myself why. I don't recognize either political party as being what I remember them being 25 years ago.

I can't go to the store and buy blue-jeans made the way I want any more. Today's jeans are different and the stores don't know how to deal with those of us who ask why.

I bought a nice new car 4 years ago and I am still discovering features (and limitations) that are new to me.

It makes no sense to keep beating a horse after it quits breathing. I don't envy the folks behind the scenes trying to make this board function. They are aiming at a rapidly moving target. Part of the world wants Forums to work just like they did when we used DOS computers and modems, and part of the world wants everything to be "Facebook Junior for Broadcasting". I'm sitting here sucking my thumb while I try to decide which group I like the best.

I think this was something everybody needed to hear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom