• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Time Warner Cable to drop New England Cable News

rjoc

Frequent Participant
According to a Public Notice in the Classified Ads in last Wednesday's (Nov. 20) Bangor Daily News, Time Warner Cable advises they will be dropping NECN effective Dec. 31. It doesn't say which systems around Maine will be effected; but I would presume, since it was in the Bangor Daily News, it will be the Bangor System which serves Eastern Maine.
Needless to say I am not pleased, and will be firing off some letters/emails to appropriate personnel. I'm curious as to just how many viewers NECN has here in DownEast Maine. I find their weather very informative, as most of our weather comes from Southern New England; although WLBZ and WABI provide excellent local weather coverage.
It just annoys me that they would be dropping a valuable news outlet, instead of some of the other lesser-watched channels.

According to a Public Notice in the Classified Ads in last Wednesday's (Nov. 20) Bangor Daily News, Time Warner Cable advises they will be dropping NECN effective Dec. 31. It doesn't say which systems around Maine will be effected; but I would presume, since it was in the Bangor Daily News, it will be the Bangor System which serves Eastern Maine.
Needless to say I am not pleased, and will be firing off some letters/emails to appropriate personnel. I'm curious as to just how many viewers NECN has here in DownEast Maine. I find their weather very informative, as most of our weather comes from Southern New England; although WLBZ and WABI provide excellent local weather coverage.
It just annoys me that they would be dropping a valuable news outlet, instead of some of the other lesser-watched channels.

This is just part of the negotiating process between Time Warner and NECN. Most muncipalities require a minimum 30 days notice and it often has to be posted as a public notice in the newspaper. You likely will not lose NECN.

I live in Downeast Maine and would love to receive NECN. I often watch it when I'm visiting family in Massachusetts. Unless we get online or listen to WBZ, we Downeasters don't have much access to what's going on in the rest of New England . . . gotta wait for tomorrow's Bangor Daily.

I don't know why anyone in Maine would be interested in NECN, they are far too Boston centric for a station where the name indicates the should cover a six-state area?

Do any of the COX systems in Rhode Island carry them? I think we only get NECN here in New Britain, CT because Comcast owns them.

NECN has Maine-centric content

Amy Sinclair and Marnie MacLean (both Portland TV veterans) report Maine news for NECN. Their coverage also appears on WLBZ and WCSH, and they do occasional live shots for the stations; there seems to be a tight integration of Sinclair and MacLean with Gannett's operation even though they are ostensibly employed by Comcast. That integration did not exist with WABI and WMTW back when Hearst was part-owner of NECN. This shift may have formed part of the rationale for TWC dropping the channel.

Actually...WMTW did utilize the NECN crew as much if not more at times then WCSH does....WABI was not partners with NECN so that is why they did not air any of their stuff. For those that don't know the NECN crew actually works out of CSH like they did before out of MTW

Oh no

That probably means they'll be off in northern NH as well (since we get the Maine Car King etc). That leaves us with Vermont and Plattsburg. WMUR has never looked so good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom