• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Alternative Format

acheron1982

Star Participant
Alright folks - Alternative is taken off like a rocket over the last 5 months and ironically, this board has died. This time last year, it was hard to find a modern rock station that was alternative vs active and now the pieces have reversed and it's active rock that is dwindling.

Thoughts?

Alternative is thriving because popsular sites like the Pitchfork's, Sterogum's, Consequence of Sound's, and Spin's of the world champion it and promote it meanwhile what does active rock have in comparison ? Loudwire lol ? Its dying because no one is championing it because its seen as a bastard genre that doesnt get critical acceptance.

Hear my thoughts on this - I wanted to hear others before I give my own thoughts.

Go to bilboard and look back at the alternative charts in the early and mid 90s. This would have been when alt was POPular and many artist were on top 40 stations. The music was more poppier with an edge and less rock.

Then skip over to the early 2ks. You had bands like Unwritten Law, Chevelle, Taking Back Sunday; You had these clean cut skater boys playing post grunge and post punk music. It was very "rocky" shall we say. During this time, we also had active rock stations that were playing the same thing plus more. These bands don't make it to top 40 radio. Alternative lost.

Then skip over to 2012 and you had Fun, Gotye, Imagine Dragons - These were yet again more poppier styles (similar to early 90s) and they made it to top 40 radio due to their POPularity. This got the brand of alternative out - hints the explosion of alternative.

Now when and where will alternative head?

Many of you know clear channel uses premium choice satellite feeds for many stations. I'm keeping the name anonymous but I spoke with someone over there who said that this time last year, most alt stations (that they had) were on prem choice except radio 104.5. Now it's all the active rock stations that are on prem choice.

I will also say this - Phones are ringing off the hook at alternative stations because their music has gotten too poppy for many even alternative fans. It's almost as if radio is forcing a more pop sound to alternative.

Its pathetic how alternative wont play new punk/punk rooted/punk influenced bands. Punk was like the backbone of the alternative sound from the very beginning and now they have just cast it aside.

Hear my thoughts on this - I wanted to hear others before I give my own thoughts.

Go to bilboard and look back at the alternative charts in the early and mid 90s. This would have been when alt was POPular and many artist were on top 40 stations. The music was more poppier with an edge and less rock.

Then skip over to the early 2ks. You had bands like Unwritten Law, Chevelle, Taking Back Sunday; You had these clean cut skater boys playing post grunge and post punk music. It was very "rocky" shall we say. During this time, we also had active rock stations that were playing the same thing plus more. These bands don't make it to top 40 radio. Alternative lost.

Then skip over to 2012 and you had Fun, Gotye, Imagine Dragons - These were yet again more poppier styles (similar to early 90s) and they made it to top 40 radio due to their POPularity. This got the brand of alternative out - hints the explosion of alternative.

Now when and where will alternative head?

Many of you know clear channel uses premium choice satellite feeds for many stations. I'm keeping the name anonymous but I spoke with someone over there who said that this time last year, most alt stations (that they had) were on prem choice except radio 104.5. Now it's all the active rock stations that are on prem choice.

I will also say this - Phones are ringing off the hook at alternative stations because their music has gotten too poppy for many even alternative fans. It's almost as if radio is forcing a more pop sound to alternative.

Pretty good take on the current Alt scene. Fact is: If we didn't have the artists that you mentioned... There isn't much else right now to fill a decent modern playlist.

Not to worry! All things have an ebb and flow. I've seen a few wimpy Alt seasons and many firm Alt comebacks. The music will pick up in due time. A strong feature about Alt is it's ability for quick regeneration! Keep the faith!

-

Check out bands like Balance and Composure and Daylight. They are not poppy and are the kinds of bands alternative should be playing. Not saying they should replace the pop stuff but they should me mixed in to bring some variety to the table. They arent on major labels which probably hurts them and the major labels still control the charts and playlists unfortunately.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom