• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lydon back to WBUR

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...ear-absence/jLC042johF7aRALtnvWlNK/story.html

"Twelve years after parting company with WBUR-FM after a rancorous contract dispute, Christopher Lydon — former host of “The Connection,” a daily talk show that once aired on 75 National Public Radio affiliates — is returning to the station. Starting in January, Lydon, 73, will host an hourlong program titled “Open Source with Christopher Lydon,” to be broadcast live on WBUR 90.9 every Thursday from 9 to 10 p.m."

Why?

isn't his 15 minutes up yet?

lets not forget his attempt to take WUML/WJUL Lowell away from the students and the attempt to start a communications program at what is primarily an engineering/business school.

How much money did that fiasco cost the taxpayers?

Documented proof that "he" was trying to take away the station from the students and start a communications program. It seems like that was happening before Lydon came around. Just what is your problem with him?

I am by no means impartial, since WLTI/WJUL was my first radio gig, and I still have a connection to the place, but this is from Wikipedia and pretty much sums up my opinion, Lydon cut himself a deal to partake from the government teet, and screw the taxpayers and the people who worked to keep WUML student/alumni run

"A secondary plan to boost community interest was launched by the university in late May 2005. Professional radio host Christopher Lydon was hired to create a new show called Open Source, to air on WUML and be syndicated to some 700 radio stations through Public Radio International. As part of the deal with Mr. Lydon, the The University of Massachusetts Lowell was also expected to build a new radio broadcasting facility so his Open Source program could broadcast from Lowell, MA and it was anticipated that a communications program would be added to the curriculum of the U Mass Lowell, in which Lydon would have been an instructor. Massachusetts State Senator Steven Panagiotakos, a Lowell Democrat, recently noted in an October 16, 2006 Lowell Sun article entitled UML drops Lydon that "I don't think we accomplished either one of those. Without those, the benefit on campus is very limited." Failure of the show to capture an audience with the proper size and demographics necessary for it to be considered successful, resulted in pre-recorded Open Source shows being aired on WUML the day after their original broadcast on PRI so that the more popular student and community broadcast offerings could remain on schedule. On October 16, 2006, it was announced that Chris Lydon's contract would not be renewed in December 2006 and the show would permanently be taken off the airwaves of WUML.

General Manager Nate Osit was also quoted in the October 16, 2006 Lowell Sun article entitled UML drops Lydon as saying "No tears will be shed by students or the community for Chris Lydon."

(used under "fair use" for discussion purposes, sourced from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUML )

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_4498148

again, fair use of copyrighted material, for discussion purposes, from the Lowell Sun

"No tears will be shed by students or the community for Chris Lydon,"

"Lydon, a renowned former host of The Connection, on National Public Radio, and a former print journalist for The Boston Globe and The New York Times, was making about $12,500 per month under the deal, in exchange for his production of Open Source, an hour long talk show."

"In addition to the cost of paying Lydon himself, MacKenzie said the university was footing the bill for four people who work with Lydon, among them his longtime producer, Mary McGrath."

Why?

isn't his 15 minutes up yet?

I hope not...he's very talented and has a lot to offer radio.

Why?

lets not forget his attempt to take WUML/WJUL Lowell away from the students and the attempt to start a communications program at what is primarily an engineering/business school.

He
attemped to do that?

I don't think so.

Why?

How much money did that fiasco cost the taxpayers?

Ummm...Nothing?

I don't blame him for any money that he was paid. (Rather I say "good for him"!) ]

If you are looking for someone to blame for decision made at UMass Lowell...then look to the board there.

And besides, the "Lowell Sunrise" program that started the whole fight at the station pre-dated Lydon by several months. Even though the station was offering a service to the community during hours where college radio stations generally have little or no listeners (the audience is sleeping after playing in clubs or smoking dope all night). But public service isn't as important as dead air, miscued Rotting Scabs and Festering Boils records and chronic mumbling on the air.

the Lowell Sunrise fiasco was nothing more than handing The Lowell Sun a NON COMMERCIAL station for commercial use.

I am not thrilled with the state of WUML, I will admit it, there are just not enough students who are willing and able to fill the slots, back when I was there on air and as C.E., outside of "The Sunshine Hour" a program for the elderly held over from the C.E.T.A. days, we managed to be on almost 24/7 with student, alumni, and university sports programming. Everyone wanted to be on the radio, everybody wanted to be the next Charles Laquidara. Had "Chuck" in one night for an interview one night before a personal appearance at the school, the very young Nancy Quill who was probably 19 at the time interviewed him. I have talked to Charles about this interview when he visited WATD, and he said he remembers very little of it as he was in an altered state. God I'd kill to have that reel of tape !
We had some future radio folks there in that era.. Rich Buono who went on to WLYN FM , and to WXKS, Joyce Apostolos, AKA Joyce Patterson who was on WCGY for a number of years, now up in Northern NH, Jack "Jackson" Baldwin, he's been around the dial, currently at WCAP, Nancy Quill, WCGY overnights, then one of the first hires at WMJX where she has been for 30 years, Dean Deramo, did WDLW and some time at WBOS back in the late 70's IIRC, ""Rockin Bob" McCann, morning news/sports guy WCCM Radio 8, went on to be the a sportscaster in Atlanta I am told, Joanne Doody, WHAV, WFNX, WXRV, now out of the business, and of course ME!

I was against the Lowell Sunrise ( sounds like Lowell Sun huh) venture as it was IMHO ILLEGAL, and I was against taking the "student run" out of student run radio and turning it into a way for Lydon and a few other people to line their pockets with cushy jobs.

But as much as I would like more student involvement in WUML, and for it to be a place to learn how to do great radio, it could be worse, it could just be another repeater for WUMB

Of Lydon

The last thing WGBH needs in its current evolutionary footing is a dose of pomposity, but with Lydon it will fairly reek of pomposity.

I know his buddies are trying to remake and spin the ULowell experience, but the fact is he sold a bill of goods to the school centering on how his awesome intellect would bring hordes of listeners to ULowell radio and to an assortment of 10-1000 watt flamethrowers syndicated around the country. Lowell already had very well-regarded audio engineering program, the thought process went that by adding the programming genius and unmistakable star appeal of the pompous Lydon, the seeds would be in place for a new program.

As for Lowell Sunrise, it was launched around the time the Sun was moving from afternoon to morning publication, which it started by publishing an edition for the city and close suburbs for morning distribution which was a bit too late to be an am and much too early to be a pm

I was against the Lowell Sunrise ( sounds like Lowell Sun huh) venture as it was IMHO ILLEGAL

OK...I let this go for a day or so...but now I am going to ask.

How is this illegal? If the Globe provided some programming for WGBH, would that be illegal?

If Bay Windows provided some programming to WERS would that be illegal?

I know his buddies are trying to remake and spin the ULowell experience, but the fact is he sold a bill of goods to the school centering on how his awesome intellect would bring hordes of listeners to ULowell radio

U Lowell somehow got it in their craw that WUML was a vastly underutilized resource. (Personally I think they thought it could fill the role as the "WBUR" of the University.)

They were already advertising for a professional (i.e..paid) General Manager. They got the idea of "Lowell Sunrise" in their head. (This seem to happen when Marty Meehan arrived.)

Chris Leydon fit into those plans. He was available to teach, he was available to offer some content to the radio station, he could bring some visibility to the plan, etc. He could create a lecture series, etc.

I don't think he "sold them a bill of goods", rather he entered into a what was thought to be a mutually-beneficial relationship with them. (As we all do when we go to work for an employer.)

Was this a wise move on behalf of the board of U Lowell? Probably not. My employer makes a lot of bonehead moves too. I hope I am not responsible for them, and I hope no one thinks the fact that I am getting paid by them means I am responsible for every move they make.

(BTW...I don't know Chris, never met him, nor am I a friend of his.)

Last edited:

How is this illegal? If the Globe provided some programming for WGBH, would that be illegal?

http://www.wuml.org/new/new/suninfo.php

It is not illegal to provide content, but there is a FINE line between providing content, and turning a non comm FM into a partner with a local newspaper, that would provide the morning show 5 days a week.

Now if they did it without ever mentioning the name "Lowell Sun", or referencing it other than in passing, that is fine, but from what I remember at the time, that was not the case.

What they did went way beyond "underwriting" in my opinion, and at the time I did a lot of digging into the legalities of the deal, including talking with law firms down in DC, and I stand by my opinion it was illegal and in violation of the license, and had it gone on to renewal time some of us were prepared to challenge the license renewal.

What would your opinion be of say..... Boston Herald Radio being aired on WGBH-FM?

I would suggest reading 47 U.S.C. S 399b and Section 503(d) of the Rules, 47 C.F.R. S 73.503(d).

Also this FCC determination against the University of New Mexico http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2013/DA-13-1432A1.html

there are a few more here: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/broadcast/enhund.html

Note the section 399B is pretty specific " advertisements are defined as program material broadcast "in
exchange for any remuneration" and intended to "promote any service,
facility, or product" of for-profit entities."

Now how can a program that has a name that is a play on words of the newspaper, with significant content provided by the paper, staffed by the paper, etc etc etc not be considered promoting the for profit entity?

With the FM spectrum in this area packed why would you risk a challenge to your license or the wrath of the FCC by pulling such a stunt?

It is not illegal to provide content, but there is a FINE line between providing content, and turning a non comm FM into a partner with a local newspaper, that would provide the morning show 5 days a week.

Now if they did it without ever mentioning the name "Lowell Sun", or referencing it other than in passing, that is fine, but from what I remember at the time, that was not the case.

What they did went way beyond "underwriting" in my opinion, and at the time I did a lot of digging into the legalities of the deal, including talking with law firms down in DC, and I stand by my opinion it was illegal and in violation of the license, and had it gone on to renewal time some of us were prepared to challenge the license renewal.

What would your opinion be of say..... Boston Herald Radio being aired on WGBH-FM?

I would suggest reading 47 U.S.C. S 399b and Section 503(d) of the Rules, 47 C.F.R. S 73.503(d).

Also this FCC determination against the University of New Mexico http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2013/DA-13-1432A1.html

there are a few more here: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/broadcast/enhund.html

Note the section 399B is pretty specific " advertisements are defined as program material broadcast "in
exchange for any remuneration" and intended to "promote any service,
facility, or product" of for-profit entities."

Now how can a program that has a name that is a play on words of the newspaper, with significant content provided by the paper, staffed by the paper, etc etc etc not be considered promoting the for profit entity?

With the FM spectrum in this area packed why would you risk a challenge to your license or the wrath of the FCC by pulling such a stunt?

Well, isn't that why a "line" exists? To help determine that you are on this side and not that side.

http://www.wuml.org/new/new/suninfo.php With the FM spectrum in this area packed why would you risk a challenge to your license or the wrath of the FCC by pulling such a stunt?

The whole plan was flawed from the start. Badly thought out...and badly executed. WUML would never become the a force in the model of WBUR or many great college stations....with it's limited signal reach, centered over an immigrant city.

But let's face it, the only people really perturbed about it are the on-air student staff that were being restricted form their own personal entertainment and amusement.

However, the idea that Chris Leydon "sold them a bill of goods" of that Chris Leydon was behind the takeowver of the student run station is not true.

stand by my opinion it was illegal and in violation of the license,

You non-legal opinion is duly noted.

and had it gone on to renewal time some of us were prepared to challenge the license renewal.

Right up until the time people had to come up with a retainer for the lawyers.

BTW....You don't think Marty Meehan still has friends in DC?

What I recall is an ownership dispute...these two Tappet brothers had some kind of car advice show in Our Fair City and got ownership and merch rights and Christo didn't want Lydon and McGrath to get the same perque. But I guess they never did meet.

Don't drive like MY brother.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0217-02.htm
>> A number of observers say that ever since the nationally syndicated ''Car Talk'' wrested ownership of the program from WBUR in 1992, Christo has been determined to not let that situation recur. ''They have the rights and ownership,'' she said. ''`The Connection' is a news show. It's not the same at all.''

Last edited:
WLTI/WJUL/WUML never wanted to be WBUR

There were people on the board and in administration that saw WUML as an underutilized resource. They saw college affilliated stations (including WBUR) become a great outreach for the school and another way to put a "face" on the University...rather than having it as just a "student activity", run for student enjoyment and entertainment.

While they may have a point, they were naive and came up with a bad plan, badly executed.

A non-commercial stations first job is to serve the public....and one could make a point that Lowell Sunrise served the public better than a bunch of students playing their favorite songs.

Gotta say that I got the opportunity to meet Chris Lydon when he was doing some production with the late Bill Marlowe at WRCA (in their "Showbiz Radio" days). I found him to be pleasant and personable, not pompous or "full of himself" at all! He never protested at any directions when he was doing the promos. He'd say "Whatever you need, boss!" :) The session produced some great promos that day!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom