syndicated jocks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: syndicated jocks

syndicated jocks

I heard Elvis Duran in am--drive on an FM station in central Pa, (WLAN FM---clear channel owned).,
    is it likely more stations willl opt
    for syndicated jocks & voicetracked jocks ?
    What happened to the theory that to survive ----radio had to become more local ?
    has that theory been discarded in favor of being cheap ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
    What happened to the theory that to survive ----radio had to become more local ?
    has that theory been discarded in favor of being cheap ?
    You heard one syndicated jock. He's on one station. In that town, there are probably over a dozen stations. Most of them have local jocks. May the best one win. It's competition. For ratings and money. The goal isn't just to save money, but to make money. Whatever makes the most money wins. My question to you is: Did you like Elvis? Was he good? Would you listen again? Those questions are more important to where he happens to be.

I don't like the idea of syndicated jocks & talk hosts
    putting local air talent out of work, Air talent that often must then
    sell cars or woirk for Walmart.

Do radio execs, PDs, etc. expect Rush, Savage, Elvis, Ryan, etc., etc., to live forever? When they DO retire/die/move on, are they going to feed repeats to affiliates for all eternity, or are they going to bite the bullet and start finding new talent to groom?

The ultimate sad part in all of this: there IS no farm team left to train the next in-lines. The overnight shift is non-existent on many stations, AM or FM, analog or HD, and

AM is dying in many areas, yes. Why? Aside from the increased noise floor from electronics....Subpar programming. There is wear on the talk. Pros like David Gleason (DavidEduardo) said that most people under 50 do not listen to AM. However, I believe he's ALSO made or agreed with the argument that if there's compelling programming on AM, people will search it out. More so in the age of FM translators for AM stations.

Why not create local/national news/talk programming aimed at the 25-34 demo and staff it as such? Ad agencies want 18-49 and that's dead center in the demo. Younger people defected to the web because there is no voice for them on air, liberal, conservative or anywhere in between, and with those eyes and ears go potential ad dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGuy2004 View Post
    The ultimate sad part in all of this: there IS no farm team left to train the next in-lines. The overnight shift is non-existent on many stations, AM or FM, analog or HD, and
    Part of this is radio's own fault. Many GMs are perfectionists, and expect(ed) everyone who works (or worked) for them to sound like superstars, yet only pay them minimum wage, if that. So jocks naturally got burned out, and quit. And radio replaced them with syndicators. I understand that some stations simply don't have the budgets to pay their jocks the big bucks, and if that is the case, then they should NOT pistol-whip those jocks, and expect them to sound like superstars. In other words, your demands of your staff, and what you are willing to pay for those demands, should line up. Otherwise, there will be high turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
    I don't like the idea of syndicated jocks & talk hosts
    putting local air talent out of work, Air talent that often must then
    sell cars or work for Walmart.
    I have been a "Wal-martyr," too, and I can tell you that that is no fun, either. Unfortunately, only a select few announcers ever become "superstars." I have been there, too, and I know what that is like, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGuy2004 View Post

The ultimate sad part in all of this: there IS no farm team left to train the next in-lines.
    Oh dear, the never ending myth of the "farm team."

The big companies have hundreds of local DJs still doing shifts just like the old days. They all have their own farm teams. But the fact is that even when you had local DJs working night shifts, few if any ever got promoted to better shifts. Once you get someone willing to work that shift, you're not going to move him. Much easier to hire someone else. Cumulus COULD have taken one of their local jocks and turned them into the syndicated hosts for NASH. Instead they hired Blair Garner and Shawn Parr. So even with a farm team, companies prefer to look outside. Heck, the Yankees have a great farm system, but instead trade away their prospects for veteran free agents every year. Why should radio be any different?

But the key thing is that hopefully what we'll see is a complete new approach to radio, similar to what happened in the 50s after the radio networks began fading away. New people in radio who understand that radio is more than just spinning stax of wax and talking up vocals.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 11-22-2013 at 04:24 PM.

I love Elvis. Great Singer

Howard Stern Proved that live and local is a joke!

As far as I'm concerned, Howard Sperm is a joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast