• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRCN to Flip to Local News/Talk, stunting with Christmas Music now

Ugh, another heritage rocker down the drain. Long Island could use it's own News/Talk station but I feel they should've killed 98.5 instead.
Of course 103.9 can only be heard in a portion of Suffolk Co. Would've preferred to see this format on 97.5 with a full service style with music on the weekends similar to NJ 101.5.
But that's Jersey of course where everything is better...:cool:

Ugh, another heritage rocker down the drain. Long Island could use it's own News/Talk station but I feel they should've killed 98.5 instead.
Of course 103.9 can only be heard in a portion of Suffolk Co. Would've preferred to see this format on 97.5 with a full service style with music on the weekends similar to NJ 101.5.
But that's Jersey of course where everything is better...:cool:
I really like listening to NJ101.5 for N/T and for the classic hits over the weekend (I am listening to it now). Anyways, I get WRCN and WFAS depending on my dipole antenna position on my XDR-S3HD, which is an amazing tuner. On a regular radio, in Brooklyn, 103.9 is part static and part WFAS.

By the way, I listened to "Christmas Radio 103.9" a few hours ago, and it's a regular playlist with liners telling people to listen to it, etc, every two or three songs. They have commercials, traffic and weather every half hour, and the TOH doesn't say their calls, only that they are a JVC station! You can listen online on their site.

It does not seem to make sense to have a news/talk format on a station that reaches a relatively small portion of the population of Long Island.
Perhaps 'RCN would have been better off with an alternative rock format, rather than the type of rock they had been playing.

Nassau-Suffolk is the largest market without a news talk station. I would imagine WCBS,WOR and WABC may have a little to do with that. A news/talk format has never worked on Long Island. WLIE at 540 tried it for a few years with local talent,but the station went way over budget and died. 540 today has Spanish religious programming and brokered shows. What a waste of a great signal. 103.9 only covers Suffolk County. It would be nice to have a news talker that covers all of Long island.

Benale commented: said:
It would be nice to have a news talker that covers all of Long island.

I see only two possibilities:

(1) A class "B" FM station with a tower smack dab in the middle of Long Island, or,

(2) One of New York's 50,000-watt AM blowtorches relocating it's transmitter to a shore area in Central Long Island and it's studios to somewhere on the Island.

Otherwise, you're going to need multiple transmitters simply because Long Island is about 100 miles in length from the East River to the Eastern tip in Mountauk.

Geographically, Long Island is that huge.

more stations around the USA are getting rid of Talk--------------not flipping to it.
but---
I guess 103.9 should be given some credit for trying something other than a bad
music format or alll sports.

I see only two possibilities:

(1) A class "B" FM station with a tower smack dab in the middle of Long Island, or,

(2) One of New York's 50,000-watt AM blowtorches relocating it's transmitter to a shore area in Central Long Island and it's studios to somewhere on the Island.

Otherwise, you're going to need multiple transmitters simply because Long Island is about 100 miles in length from the East River to the Eastern tip in Mountauk.

Geographically, Long Island is that huge.
Perhaps JVC could buy or lease 25,000 watt WNYH 740 AM to simulcast WRCN.
It covers most of western Long Island quite well. WNYH is currently one of several local AM stations carrying Spanish Christian Radio Cantico.
The big drawback is that WNYH is limited to about 40 watts at night.

Last edited:
I hear 740 & 540 from long island fairly well daytime here in lower manhattan.,
they must cover long island fairly well daytime.,

A simulcast of say, WNYH would be essential to cover Nassau and western Suffolk. 103.9 has interference from WFAS on Long Island's North shore. It's nice they will be local for most of the day. Of course you could pick up Hannity on WABC loud and clear on Eastern LI, soon on WOR, and I'm sure a few other stations in Connecticut. A local PM drive show would be a nice addition.

I hope this venture succeeds. I think of WLIE at 540 which tried live and local talk and failed. It's nice to have something different on Long Island. Too many AC and Rock stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom