• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPTY Sold

Is this a different John Walton from the person who ran stations in Fort Worth, Amarillo, and New Mexico using the KBUY call?

Wonder what format hole the new ownership will fill in B/PA?

KTWL is dominant at my Cy-Fair location, although KPTY will occasionally override it when tropo is strong from the east. The KPTY tower is easily seen on the south side of I-10 just east of Winnie.

Curious if Univision simply considered KPTY an expendable non-core asset, or is this sale part of a bigger plan?

... simply considered KPTY an expendable non-core asset, or is this sale part of a bigger plan?

Since the station essentially covers none of the Houston market with a useful signal, the answer would be obvious.

Is this a different John Walton from the person who ran stations in Fort Worth, Amarillo, and New Mexico using the KBUY call?

Wonder what format hole the new ownership will fill in B/PA?

KTWL is dominant at my Cy-Fair location, although KPTY will occasionally override it when tropo is strong from the east. The KPTY tower is easily seen on the south side of I-10 just east of Winnie.

Curious if Univision simply considered KPTY an expendable non-core asset, or is this sale part of a bigger plan?

This is the John Walton of "Walton and Johnson".....The KPTY tower is not easily seen off I-10 unless you have eyes of a hawk or look for the lights at night (There are other 500ft towers closer to I-10 than KPTY; you can see the 97.5 and 103.7 tower much easier on decent nights)....but it IS just south of Texas73 between Port Arthur and Winnie (next to another tower that was originally installed for the 216-220 IWCS network but that has been dismantled since noone was using it; the network and 220 gear, not the tower..it now supports cell gear and part of the Jefferson Co 800MHz system)

If Walton does a decent Classic Hits (like a retro Top40), he could do something in the Triangle (which lacks something decent....KCOL is a CC station, the music selection lacks and the audio drives me up the wall...not as bad as Sirius is on channels 6,7,8,9, etc... It sure does NOT need another country station...nor does it need another 12 yr old CHR....If done like the old Top40 formats like WLS did (and with jingles and REAL DJs and not iPOD style), it could run rings around anything in the area for the right demo...I don't know how much he bought it for and it cannot be upgraded toward Houston...toward Beaumont, there is a 105.3 north of Lake Charles (that was originally on 104.9 near Vinton and moved when the 104.9 moves were done in Houston to make room for one of them to upgrade to the current signal...the FCC still shows the ASR for the old tower site southeast of Vinton but its been long gone for almost two decades now) -.-. .-- :cool:

I'm interested to see what he dose with the station, it puts a hell of a signal over golden triangle and the price was defiantly right. Practically assets only.

Nice 50kw 4 bay.kpty.jpg

And STILL off the air....haven't checked to see if they filed a STA to stay silent or not.
The callsign has been changed to KXXF (X105.3?? Maybe?).I hope its not a talk format..we have enough of those and personally I had gotten tired of W&J yapping all the time anyway..another right wing voice on the radio, we do NOT need

Last edited:
Its not back on the air yet. I assume they'll have W&J in the mornings then classic rock, like we don't have that already.

The sale closed on March 7 of this year

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b13909

As noted the call letters were changed to KXXF On April 8, 2014 “KXXF ended stunting and launched a classic rock format branded as "Radio “Free Texas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPTY

Hopefully this is not just hype and the format is actually on the air!

What stunting??? I didnt hear any such until they went off the air...and NO Classic Rock has been on the air since it went off in March....hhmmmm

Independent radio seems to be making a comeback in these parts. Jim Pruett's venture in Cypress should hit the air in a few weeks. Now John Walton's doing it. I love it.

Big difference between the two...
1) Jim is on a LPFM (and he does not own it directly; only an organized "club" does) with a predicted 5 mile range..and its non commercial....105.3 is a normal FM and full power (for a C2 at 500ft) BUT....
2) 105.3 will not cover the Houston market (it does barely make it to Baytown). The BPT market is dying and money supply is short (last reports said new construction is down big time from last year and there have been several businesses close their doors or move out of the market) AND its still off the air, thus not making any money, yet the tower lights have to be lit, the insurance on the site and taxes must be paid..negative cash flow right off the bat...not a good thing when you have spent 250K on an investment.

101.7 in Cypress has plenty of things to do before it hits the air....get the antenna mounted, feedline hung, transmitter installed and tested, THEN a studio build and then a STL path either coordinated/licensed and gear purchased or some kind of IP or phone line circuit installed (and analog dry pairs are not cheap anymore!)...so it won't be a few weeks....it may take couple of months...but remember, its a LP.....and with the 101.5 3 miles SE, there will be reception issues...101.7 will be mono in the beginning but if 101.5 is stereo, it may slop over...also if it runs RDS or any subcarriers, that could be an issue. The 101.7 was issued after it decided to not try for 101.5...it got them a channel but the 101.5 will be more powerful...and power at low heights counts for signal penetration into buildings and homes. The laws of physics cannot be changed.

Big difference between the two...
.and with the 101.5 3 miles SE, there will be reception issues...

More like eight miles apart.

101.7 will be mono in the beginning but if 101.5 is stereo, it may slop over...also if it runs RDS or any subcarriers, that could be an issue.

I would think KOER would be in stereo. Looking over the Rhema Gospel Radio website it appears they are music intensive.

I haven't heard of any LPFM's running HD subchannels; anyone know?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom