• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Western Electric 451A1-250 Watt Transmitter

K

kenglish

Some folks in Norway are looking for any specs, technical information, etc on an old Western Electric Transmitter, a 451A1, 250 watt model, which is in their museum:

http://bergenkringkaster.no/

Thought we might have found a source in Wyoming, but it didn't work out.
If you have anything you could scan, or even mail to them, hanging out someplace in the basement or garage/transmitter shack, contact them, via the link on that page.

Can you provide a photo and some more basic information? The model number, 451A1 might indicate that this transmitter was not designed for broadcast or any type of amplitude modulation. The A1 might be an indication that it was designed only to be 'keyed' ... Morse Code. An A3 designation would indicate voice (or other analog) amplitude modulation.

I'm just passing along the message that they posted to the WRTH FB page.

John at KSL Radio said he remembered one at a station in Wyoming, but no luck with their current engineer. John also said it "might" be similar to the old W-E 50 KW from KSL, except that one was modulated at a middle level (5 KW, IIRC).
Hate to think that info like that may have been trashed years ago. Hopefully, there's something still around.

I've joined up with the team refurbishing this 451A cabinet at Bergen Kringkaster (Broadcasting station).
The unit was used for AM broadcasting in a limited mountain area for years and after decommissioning moved to the museum.
It has been on the air for limited tests at times and it is the intention to bring it closer to normal operations.

The master oscillator is giving me a slight headache at the moment, the physical circuit bears little resemblance to that in the printed circuit diagram.
It should be a 702A module with a triode but I found an EF86 pentode wired as a strange form of Colpitts oscillator.
And the heating element in the oven has burnt out.

Does anyone one have any documentation of these venerable units??
I'll post some pix soon.

Last edited:
Attached are some pictures of, and from inside the cabinet.WE451A-1 cabinet_02035-front.jpg
WE451A-1 cabinet_02036-inside.jpg
HT meter multiplier resistor in situ_pix-02039.jpg
HT meter multiplier resistor in situ_pix-02039.jpgThe missing component(s)_02038.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Peter and the group at FBK

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom