• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's that time of the year...

Thanks, JPB! Just doing my part to waste not, want not. 9, I couldn't agree with you more! The humor on the Buff/Roch board is always good for a smile.

I was ignoring this thread simply because I find the annual barrage of Christmas music tedious, but you guys have sucked me in.

There's no way that Dave Universal surrenders All-Christmas to Star for a day - let alone weeks. His station has the least to lose, so I suspect that they'll go first on Wednesday, Nov. 5th. Star will have its Xmas hard drive plugged in an waiting, and will flip within an hour. Whether either station deviates from their typical mind-numbing short rotation of Christmas songs remains for other observers to determine because those two frequencies will be off my radar immediately. I'm simply not interested in listening to them ho-ho-ho themselves out.

102.5 and 96.1 have owned the all Christmas music franchise in Buffalo. Would WHTT also jump into the pool? The classic hits station in Pittsburgh played all Christmas last year and had very good ratings. It seems that every year more classic hits stations have done all Christmas music with much success. Could this happen in Buffalo?

As expected, MIX has flipped to XMAS on November 1.

Correction - for a while.
MIX was playing ALL XMAS music in the 9am hour and now have abruptly switched back to regular format.
Was this a technical glitch or conscious reversal?

Either way, it's unprofessional and embarrassing.
Radio blows big time...

Last edited:
Hmmm. Trying to prod Magic into flipping, or - as you suggested - a technical glitch? Shabby. I guess we know that they're going all Christmas, though.

Last edited:
As expected, MIX has flipped to XMAS on November 1.

Correction - for a while.
MIX was playing ALL XMAS music in the 9am hour and now have abruptly switched back to regular format.
Was this a technical glitch or conscious reversal?

Either way, it's unprofessional and embarrassing.
Radio blows big time...

Or maybe it was Dave U messing with the know-it-alls on this board. I don't think this was a "Mix-up." More than likely, DU is messing with Star, trying to bait them. People who worked with him tell me he likes to yank the competitions' chains. Did he ever work with Randy Michaels?

What's the point of flipping to XMAS for a couple hours and then
Switching back?
It just illustrates how lame his stations product is.
Nobody's ever going to care which station flipped first.

Big ego run amok...

I think he tried to get Star to flip. I expect that they'll both be jingling their bells in another week anyway. Thanksgiving is late this year. They'll want four weeks of Christmas music in the book.

Hubbard's Hot AC 100.3 in Chicago, programmed by legendary PD Marty Bender, flipped to Christmas using the positioning line "One from today and one from Santa's sleigh," every other song being a Christmas hit. A lot of decision makers in PPM and diary markets will be watching how this tactic performs against the All Christmas formats.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/new...50-holiday-music-with-perfect-christmas-blend

This poster wouldn't be surprised if 96 uses a similar approach and calls it "Buffalo's Best Christmas Mix" or "Buffalo's best holiday Mix."

If you've been to the mall this weekend, you no doubt heard Christmas music in the system. You probably saw the Salvation Army folks ringing the bells with their kettles. It all began last week.

Star appears to have flipped to All Christmas (Eagles and Andy Williams heard within the last 15 minutes) while Mix is at this moment, staying the course. Should be interesting to hear how this plays out because Universal has been through this before, knows the market and how the game is played.

Mix is running sweepers "You told us you didn't want to hear Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, and we listened." This is a bold move and indicates Mix is carefully positioning itself between Kiss and Star, picking up Women 25-34 from CHR Kiss who likely don't want to hear all Christmas music, and a pocket of Women 35-49 from Star who aren't ready for all Christmas at this time. When Mix does make a move, I suspect it will be every other song, "Buffalo's perfect Christmas Mix." We'll see the results in January. No wagering, please.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom