• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at KLUV? Hope so.

The rumors of 98.7 K-Luv playing Christmas music has been confirmed on a TV ad shown on KTVT CBS 11, stating that Christmas music has found a new home online and on the dial. Nothing has been said yet about a potential format change beyond Christmas day, even looked it up online. Also, I edited the last bit on Wikipedia about KLUV becoming "Amp Radio 98.7 on December 26, 2013", stating that they're rumors and that no official announcements have been given at this time.

Last edited:
If KLUV really goes away after christmas there is no doubt another broadcaster is going to immediatly pick it up. Maybe 97.1, 102.1... Heck maybe the new owners of 1700. But there is no way Dallas would be without a classic hitter for very long.

If KLUV really goes away after christmas there is no doubt another broadcaster is going to immediatly pick it up. Maybe 97.1, 102.1... Heck maybe the new owners of 1700. But there is no way Dallas would be without a classic hitter for very long.

Exactly. It would be STUPID to discard the only classic hits station in the metroplex.

Why? Houston has been without one for 4 years. And nobody say the Eagle is. That is bovine excretion. They are 80's and 90's leaning classic rock, not classic hits.

Id say because KLUV is doing better than certain stations here, and those stations would benefit from the ratings boost.
I was briefly confused by you talking about the Eagle. I totally forgot Houston had an eagle and I thought you meant 97.1! lol

Id say because KLUV is doing better than certain stations here, and those stations would benefit from the ratings boost.
I was briefly confused by you talking about the Eagle. I totally forgot Houston had an eagle and I thought you meant 97.1! lol

I remember KEGL - great station! We could get it in Houston before a stupid classic country station covered it up.

I remember KEGL - great station! We could get it in Houston before a stupid classic country station covered it up.
No we couldn't get KEGL in Houston unless tropo was kicking up, or you used a good yagi antenna with a sensitive receiver. We were just as likely to get the 97.1 in New Orleans as we were KEGL. I am very well familiar with FM DX and reception over 50 years of listening, and your assertion is pure hyperbole. Yes, we can sometimes get DFW FM here in Houston, but it is the domain of radio geeks, not the average listener.

And the local 97.1 in Houston had SEVEN different formats before settling on Country Legends, which I wouldn't call a "stupid" format.

a question for mister carter...

I remember KEGL - great station!
We could get it in Houston before a stupid classic country station covered it up.

==================================================

mister carter,

I have observed over the years of reading your posts, you think not much
of many formats that are on the air these days.

In your opinion, what formats are not a "waste of a frequency"
and SHOULD be on the air?

You are now the owner of seven FM radio stations in a top ten market.

With no regard to what your competitors are doing (they are irrelevant to this model),

what format(s) do you put on each station and why?

==================================================

Last edited:
No we couldn't get KEGL in Houston unless tropo was kicking up, or you used a good yagi antenna with a sensitive receiver. We were just as likely to get the 97.1 in New Orleans as we were KEGL. I am very well familiar with FM DX and reception over 50 years of listening, and your assertion is pure hyperbole. Yes, we can sometimes get DFW FM here in Houston, but it is the domain of radio geeks, not the average listener.

And the local 97.1 in Houston had SEVEN different formats before settling on Country Legends, which I wouldn't call a "stupid" format.

I did have a yagi pointed towards Dallas, and had no problems with KEGL 24/7. Reception location - near Gessner and 59. When KFMK went off the air for a week, I had no problems at all with KZEW driving into downtown on 59 for that week. That was in the mornings so there was a bit of atmospheric help. But then - it was also a Pioneer Supertuner with a whip antenna.

I agree Sgt. Schultz. Mr. Carter downgrades listeners of formats he does not listen to or care about. You can talk bad about a particular station Mr. Carter, but it is very unchristian like to talk about those who listen to a format. You are judging them because they like sports talk, talk, gospel or any other format you find "unbecoming" of your ears. I may not like KLTY, but I can't make generalizations about those who do.

Additional thoughts - I wasn't calling the format "stupid" - I was calling the allocation stupid because it covered up a station I could previously listen to. Similar to the situation in Dallas when a 93.7 came on the air, covering up KLBJ. KLBJ, by the way, was very receivable on my car radio from my location in Plano under most conditions. It was, of course, subject to severe dropouts, but its format is so good I put up with the dropouts.

Which gets me to my second point - are you absolutely sure your own equipment hasn't been damaged by our frequent lightning storms? A strike even a mile away can take out a sensitive front end transistor if you are hooked up to an antenna. You might not even be aware damage has occurred because the unit is still functional and all locals and rim shots still come through. You might go for days, weeks, or even months just thinking propagation conditions are too poor for DX, when in reality your tuner's sensitivity has gone down an order of magnitude. I have had this happen to me on several occasions - when I lived in Florida in particular. I had a particularly nasty lightning storm a year ago August which took out the front ends of most of my tuners, even those indoors that were only hooked to dipoles. It has been very annoying to dig into the front ends of multiple tuners to change out transistors, but absolutely necessary. I even lost the RF transistor in a portable radio, and it destroyed my car radio.

About the only way to detect that the damage has happened is to have a test station - the weakest fringe station in the area that is not affected by atmospherics, at least not in the afternoon. I find Bob FM 103.5 to be an excellent test - on a normal car radio (with a whip antenna) on the NW side of town it should be receivable under all atmospheric conditions. If it is not - the input transistor is highly suspect. I tend to use KLTY and KLUV as a test for my home tuners, hooked to my antenna they should be receivable under all atmospheric conditions. If not, the tuner is damaged and the front end needs repair. This applies to just about all of my home tuners and receivers from the relatively modest three gang Kenwood KR-5010 to the Sony tuner so highly touted on DX boards.

I started removing the antenna from the tuner input except when I am using it while I lived in Florida with even worse lightning conditions - I have a supply of quick disconnect coax connectors and just yank the antenna connection off the antenna input when I am not using it. Except for last August, that has been enough to protect my tuners for a couple of decades.

I agree Sgt. Schultz. Mr. Carter downgrades listeners of formats he does not listen to or care about. You can talk bad about a particular station Mr. Carter, but it is very unchristian like to talk about those who listen to a format. You are judging them because they like sports talk, talk, gospel or any other format you find "unbecoming" of your ears. I may not like KLTY, but I can't make generalizations about those who do.

I freely confess I have the interpersonal skills of the present incarnation of Sherlock Holmes. I either do not respond to criticism, or will not respond in a way you will find kind. So I will abstain. I have my opinion of formats, so does everybody else on these boards. I just choose to more vocally express my distaste for particular formats more than some posters do. Particularly when they come on the air at the expense of formats I enjoy. So a particular Spanish language station on 93.7 incurs my wrath, because KLBJ had a format I enjoy much more. Same situation in Houston when KEGL was easily receivable at one time, and somebody put a 97.1 on the air that effectively jammed it. Unless the closer station also has a format I enjoy, I will not be very kind in my assessment of the station or its format. Houston lost its heritage rock station, the ability to receive KEGL again would be very nice.

I freely confess I have the interpersonal skills of the present incarnation of Sherlock Holmes. I either do not respond to criticism, or will not respond in a way you will find kind. So I will abstain. I have my opinion of formats, so does everybody else on these boards. I just choose to more vocally express my distaste for particular formats more than some posters do. Particularly when they come on the air at the expense of formats I enjoy. So a particular Spanish language station on 93.7 incurs my wrath, because KLBJ had a format I enjoy much more. Same situation in Houston when KEGL was easily receivable at one time, and somebody put a 97.1 on the air that effectively jammed it. Unless the closer station also has a format I enjoy, I will not be very kind in my assessment of the station or its format. Houston lost its heritage rock station, the ability to receive KEGL again would be very nice.

We all have opinions about this profession, but you take it to far when you call listeners of formats you don't like stupid or dumb. Again, I don't like CCM music, but someone does. I am not going to talk bad about those who like it and/or listen to it. That is their personal preference. That's my beef with you hoss. You don't like sports/gospel/ccm/talk/classic hip hop/neo-soul...okay we got it. But to call me stupid or dumb because I do is over the line.

salemjedi54:

You've always conducted yourself as gentleman here. There have been times when we've varied in opinion on the sometimes hot topic of radio but you've never made it personal.

I feel sorry for the folks who have to play Christmas music for two months. I'd be ready for a straight jacket after a week of it.

Christmas Now Belongs To KLUV In Dallas

KLUV-FM will now be CBS's Dallas Christmas station. Previously, KVIL would flip to holiday music but Director of Music Programming for CBS in Dallas Ron Harrell says, "We're passing the torch from KVIL to KLUV. Christmas music is a natural fit with KLUV's classic hits format, and our listeners will embrace it." Holiday-related promotions and community events which were previously associated with KVIL, such as the Children's Medical Center Radiothon, will transition to 98.7 KLUV as well. KLUV morning drive host Jody Dean will be at the forefront of these efforts.

More...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom