• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at KLUV? Hope so.

From Tom Taylor Now-

Out of Dallas, NOW hears that CBS won’t be doing all-Christmas on AC-programmed KVIL (103.7), as usual. Instead, the Christmas catalog may be transferred to sister classic hits KLUV (98.7) – and wouldn’t it be something, if CBS changed format on KLUV, after the holidays? Specifically, how about another “Amp”-style station, to challenge (as CBS does in so many other large markets) the dominant Clear Channel CHR? For Dallas, that’s CC’s “Kiss 106” KHKS – which no longer has Kidd Kraddick available for mornings. Stay tuned for holiday cheer – and battles.

Thoughts?

Those 9 minute commercial breaks suck no matter what kind of music KLUV plays.

Oops. My bad. Eight minutes.

Last edited:
KLUV Switch?

Naw. You don't change formats on a station that's currently and historically been comfortably in the top 10. CBS has much bigger problems to worry about.

From Tom Taylor Now-

Out of Dallas, NOW hears that CBS won’t be doing all-Christmas on AC-programmed KVIL (103.7), as usual. Instead, the Christmas catalog may be transferred to sister classic hits KLUV (98.7) – and wouldn’t it be something, if CBS changed format on KLUV, after the holidays? Specifically, how about another “Amp”-style station, to challenge (as CBS does in so many other large markets) the dominant Clear Channel CHR? For Dallas, that’s CC’s “Kiss 106” KHKS – which no longer has Kidd Kraddick available for mornings. Stay tuned for holiday cheer – and battles.

Thoughts?

Other major groups have changed up which of their stations do the Christmas music before w/o a flip.

Tom, why do you hope KLUV will flip?

Eye, what bigger problems does CBS have? It appears that they are off the radar for a sale to Cumulus.

Last edited:
My problem with KVIL's annual switch to "holiday music" (I make a distinction between Christmas music and generic "holiday" music) is that it comes before Black Friday.

I would very much not like to see us lose an entire format (oldies) in favor of another Top 40 station. If CBS were to do this, I'd prefer it to be 107.5 as we have plenty of Spanish language formats (cue an objection from David Eduardo in 3...2...1).

With all seriousness, I would like to see the major station groups competing with one another again in each others formats.

someone who knows this market as well as anyone told me they wondered what would happen if CBS took KLUV Country,,,,,the only two country stations with strong signals in the market are two of the top billers

Last year B98.5 in Atlanta did not do christmas music and they did very well

the days of Ac stations doing christmas music are coming to an end thank god

Naw. You don't change formats on a station that's currently and historically been comfortably in the top 10. CBS has much bigger problems to worry about.

You do if your demographics skew old.

Look how many adult standards and beautiful music stations switched to other formats and were not the least be disappointed that their rating went from 8.0 to 0.8.

CBS Classic Hits stations do well in the 25-54 demo in NYC, LA and Phoenix. Why not Dallas?

Demographics is one reason. I'm curious if the billing is up or down at KLUV.

Also, according to the blog from Allaccess.com, KLUV doesn't appear to be in the Top 10 as someone previously posted.

From Allaccess.com

KHKS is on a two-book surge and just landed its best 25-54 share in over a year to maintain its three-share lead over #2 KLTY, which had its best book since APRIL. KDMX was off for the second straight month yet managed to move up one spot to #3. This certainly turned out to be KKDA’s month as the station scored another killer book to take a giant leap from #10 to #4. In the past year the station has never ranked higher than #9. KPLX was up enough to break out of a tie at #5 and take the position all to itself while KZPS, which was also up but not as much, slid from that #5 tie to #6. UNIVISION Regional Mexican KLNO (LA QUE BUENA) took another tumble to fall from a tie at #2 to #7. Only two months ago the station was tied at #1 25-54.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...r-inc-presents-exclusive-sept-ppm-?ref=search

Last edited:
Not sure what it's like now, but it wasn't too long ago that K-Luv was top-5 6+ but not even top-15 25-54. If that hasn't changed, that would probably be enough to kill it. It doesn't really sound much, if any, different from other CBS stations doing classic hits. So, I'm not sure why it's doing so much worse.

Then again, I always thought K-Luv should've died more than 20 years ago. The old KODZ "Oldies 94.9" seemed to be on everywhere, but I suppose either appearances are deceiving or people thought they were listening to K-Luv just because it was oldies. I may have mentioned it before, but I always heard Oldies 94.9 had a good final book and was in striking distance of K-Luv. Unfortunately, Evergreen LMA'ed the station to Alliance and Young Country 105.3 after the book wrapped up but before it was released. So, the format was gone before anyone knew it had a chance of catching on.

Seeing as we have no alternative, it would be a damn shame to lose KLUV. Though I've always enjoyed the other oldies stations more. (92.1, 94.9, 96.7 at the end)
There is 1400, but it barely covers Collin County.

Today's weekly shows KLUV at #10. Just FYI, don't become too attached to the oldies on KGVL/Greenville...

Actually, the weeklies which are not released to the press, shows them higher than 10th in 25-54. However, the book (for "October") did show them 10th in the main sales demo.

However, when you move to 18-49, the station is 18th. And, as 18-49 is THE demo for much other media, like TV, it has been becoming more sought in radio too. Not a good sign for KLUV.

Today's weekly shows KLUV at #10. Just FYI, don't become too attached to the oldies on KGVL/Greenville...

=================================================================

Mr, Summers...

Might your information about KGVL be from Jaan McCoy or Hubert Beavers
or maybe BOTH???

=================================================================

Neither, although I am well aquainted with both of those fine gentlemen. Also, FYI, 25-54 is the important sales demo for classic hits stations. we're just not set up to do well 18-49.

Neither, although I am well aquainted with both of those fine gentlemen. Also, FYI, 25-54 is the important sales demo for classic hits stations. we're just not set up to do well 18-49.

Coming in loud and clear in NW Houston - very consistent with a good yagi and Sony XFR-HD1 tuner. I get HD a fair amount of the time. Sure hope you guys keep going - I noted that KRTH gave up out in LA.

That's pretty amazing, Bruce. BTW, K-EARTH is still 'Classic Hits', but I believe they have shifted their music a bit. Tempus fugit, my friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom