+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CKKY 830 Wainwright, AB flips to 101.9 with new format

CKKY 830 Wainwright, AB flips to 101.9 with new format

Newcap's CKKY 830 in Wainwright, Alberta made the flip to 101.9 yesterday. Instead of carrying on with the "KEY" Country format on FM as everyone had expected the new CKKY at 101.9 is now K-ROCK with an Active Rock/Classic Rock format.

K-ROCK 101.9 WEBSITE:
    http://www.krock1019.com/

A darn shame! I used to hear "Key 83" quite a bit during the evening and overnight hours here in WA, sometimes with CCI thanks to WCCO or KNCO.

-crainbebo
    664 AM's in the log, 389 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 94.5 KHTQ-ID, KRXY-WA, CFBT-BC 9/27/14 (KATS off briefly)
    Last New AM Log: 1620 WTAW TX 12/04/14

A real sign of the times. On the plus side, it'll be an interesting experience for some people hearing active rock on AM. There must be something serious about the differences in commercial viability of AM music formats in Canada versus the United States. Country music isn't really my thing, but do you think it would ever be possible for Canada to have an equivalent of WSM also on AM even out in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Alberta after the 1990s? I don't think so.

Actually Newcap shut down 830 as soon as the flip to 101.9 occurred.....so no Active Rock on AM for the standard 3 month authorized simulcast period this time.

The closest thing to an equivalent of WSM on the Canadian Prairies might be CFCW 790 in Camrose-Edmonton. A long time established Country format that still pulls in pretty decent numbers in the Edmonton PPM's.

I'm having trouble getting sound for the new station. I left the website and visited New Cap's website to try other stations
    ( http://www.ncc.ca/stations.asp ) Other listening choices seem to be fine.
    I guess it's just a temporary glitch?
    If you never say no, how much is your yes worth?

Quote Originally Posted by FreewayGeek View Post
    Actually Newcap shut down 830 as soon as the flip to 101.9 occurred.....so no Active Rock on AM for the standard 3 month authorized simulcast period this time.

The closest thing to an equivalent of WSM on the Canadian Prairies might be CFCW 790 in Camrose-Edmonton. A long time established Country format that still pulls in pretty decent numbers in the Edmonton PPM's.
    CFCW didnt compare to CKMX 1060 when they were a Classic Country station. Fantastic selection!

+ Reply to Thread