• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How was Modern English's Melt With you not a top 40 hit

I have the same experience as jwk1979. I'm also from the Knoxville/East TN area, and I remember most all of these very well from the radio. Our local AOR station at the time (WIMZ "Rock 104" & later "104 -'IMZ") was one of those "Rock of the 80s" formatted stations that mixed tons of new wave music with traditional AOR songs. They gave tons of airplay to artists like The Romantics, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, ABC, Missing Persons, etc. Basically, all the stuff we were watching on MTV. They would mix these new wave/synth bands in with traditional rock classics like ZZ Top, Skynard, etc. I was in high school at the time & 'IMZ was the station all my friends listened to. As a result of their mix, (which even included Madonna, Prince & M Jackson), I think our local CHR (WOKI) was also forced to add lots of these new wave artist tracks to compete. Anyway, im guessing it varied widely from market to market, but in Knoxville, we were much more likely to hear these new wave/alt tracks than we were to hear urban leaning artists like Midnight Starr, New Edition, The Jets, etc., which got little play here.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom