• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Vermont Association of Broadcasters = Insider Club

It was the big announcement for the VAB....the Hall of Fame recipients and Broadcaster of the Year. All three seem to be questionable.

Hall of Fame recipient #1 is Dan Dubonnet of Hall. I am sure he is a wonderful fellow and has spent quite a bit of time on the board..problem is that two Hall employees who work for him are on the board...and they vote for the hall of fame.

Hall of Fame recipient #2 is Louie Manno of...well.....he doesn't work in media. He was the morning guy at WQCR for awhile starting in 1985 then worked mornings on WKDR partnered with Jim Condon for a few years where he also owned some of the station. That sold and he opened a deli. Hasn't done much in media since. Problem is...his good friend and on-air partner Jim Condon is Executive Director of the VAB an...you guessed it...votes for the Hall of Fame.

Broadcaster of the Year is a high honor and one kept for someone who has usually spent years in the state and been a superior broadcaster. This year Jeff Shapiro of Great Eastern Radio wins that honor for taking bankrupt stations and making them live and local again. I don't know him at all but he purchased the stations in question, Frank-Froggy & WSNO LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. They were part of Nassau that did go bankrupt but they were a going concern. It seems they have the same amount of local programming they did under Nassau. He also got Newport and Rutland stations int he deal which he sold off. So less than a year in the state and Broadcaster of the Year? Again...his Barre General Manager Wally Caswell is on the VAB Board and...yep....votes for the award.

VAB....many of these choices seem self-serving and very insider. You folks need to take a look at the way things are done. I know many of these choices had people questioning the way things are being run at the VAB. All these tied to the board. Me think the fish smells rotten.

A: Why so bitter?

B: Seem like deserving folks to me.

C: It's the VAB and Vermont broadcasting. Not really worth enough to get so worked up about.

Well.... Duh! What is the purpose of a state broadcasters association? Aren't they by definition "an insiders club" by definition and purpose! I once participated in organizing a state association of service station operators. Guess what? We were "an insiders club". We were organized around the idea solving problems that affected people who owned and operated service stations. I took on the role of wandering down to the state capitol and making sure the legislature understood what we, the insiders of the service station business thought was important in the area of government.

The broadcasters association in any state has no interest in giving an award for outstanding performance to someone working at a station that does not pay dues and support the association with their blood, sweat and tears.

State broadcasters associations are just like a state association of hardware stores or a state association of Realtors, or a state association of florists.... they are designed to help their members make more money.... AND provide for a big annual social event where the members can have a big weekend party with their spouses and the whole thing is tax deductible.

It's the American way, dude.

Now, in all fairness... all of the organizations I have mention tend to have their altruistic side also. They tend to give financial support to some charitable activity. Business owners who are not all wrapped up in church work and charity often turn to their trade associations for that part of life.

I understand all of the above but think it's very odd that out of all the people in the state working in radio-TV...the only three people chosen were all co-workers of people on the Board of Directors who decide what people will be chosen.

Dear Vermonster,

Actually, i do NOT nominate people or vote for our Hall of Fame inductees or other awards. I collect the nominations that people make for our various awards...and nominations may be made by anyone. I hope you and others who may read this will make some nominations for next year's awards. That said, I'm glad two old friends of mine are going in the HOF.

Vermonster:

I don't mean to be a dick about it but you kind of glossed over my game changing career - I can say that because I worked very hard, took many chances, formed deep connections, got results, innovated and worked for a better community. I left a good impression because I'm a kind and generous, funny guy... And I made money for advertisers and sales colleges.

BTW -I have been working in national media for years-but I'm not here to tout my business---just to set the record straight. Do I deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? The VAB board thought so and I humbly accepted the honor. Follow a path that makes you worthy and perhaps you'll get there as well. - Good luck!

Manno

Last edited:
I can only speak for NH but it is our policy that our Broadcaster of the Year award is by nomination only. We take great care not to meddle. Sometimes it's difficult to get more than one or two nominations each year and you work with what you're given. As Jim, who is a very well respected Association Executive said, I hope you and all the other interested parties take the time to nominate someone next year.

Love fest

Maybe Jim Condon could explain this. In the past, people had been told that active radio people could not be elected into the VAB hall of fame but Dan Dubonnet, who is still active, is now a member. It is well deserved but once again, he is active when in the past several candidates had been told they could not get in until they retire from Radio?

Dear "guest,"

I just saw your post, so sorry for the late response. You do not have to be retired from broadcasting to be eligible for the VAB Hall of Fame. On the contrary, many folks who got in years ago are still working. Ernie Farrar, Joel Najman (who nominated Louie, btw), Don Mullally, Eric Michaels, George Commo are all still in the business, among others. Nominations for the Hall of Fame and other VAB awards for 2014 are being accepted through September 19. Just go to the VAB website and click the nomination link.

Best Regards,

Jim Condon
VAB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom