• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Savage takes Hannity's Cumulus time slot

No argument about Huckabee. Don't know when you last listened to Savage -- he's not doing much of the predictable political play by play lately. That's about all Huckabee does, but what do you want -- he's a politician. Yawn.

It's official:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media...take-hannity-time-slot-on-cumulus-173533.html

IMO, Savage is clearly the more talented host. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

Couldn't agree more.

While I think some of his positions are ridiculous, I am often entertained by him. He's not stupid and is often quite funny.

Hannity, OTOH, is about as boring and unfunny as they come. God only knows how this guy got anywhere. Goes to show how much demand there actually is for ideological pablum.

I've listened to a few TV hosts on the radio, from O'Reilly to Hannity to Cramer to King, and they always seem more entertaining on TV. Just MHO. Maybe they feel they have to scale it back on the radio. The biggest disappointment may have been Cramer, who is funny on CNBC, and dull as a college professor on the radio. Then again, they have more time to fill on radio. Maybe it's like running a marathon vs. a sprint. But it makes for bad radio. I don't know what Imus' excuse is. He's dull in both places.

Jim Cramer isn't a clown but he plays one on TV. On his radio show he didn't just fire off his stock picks which, BTW, are wrong as often as they are right, but he took the time to explain his reasoning. He was still quite a few notches above many hosts in terms of energy and pace but he more closely resembled a normal human being than he does on TV. Again, just MHO.

Same with O'Reilly -- his radio show was more about ideas and less about showing pictures of bikini clad young women on spring break (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Again, I liked him better on radio.

Jim Cramer isn't a clown but he plays one on TV. On his radio show he didn't just fire off his stock picks which, BTW, are wrong as often as they are right, but he took the time to explain his reasoning. He was still quite a few notches above many hosts in terms of energy and pace but he more closely resembled a normal human being than he does on TV. Again, just MHO.

Same with O'Reilly -- his radio show was more about ideas and less about showing pictures of bikini clad young women on spring break (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Again, I liked him better on radio.

I liked O'Reilly on radio, and listened to both hours daily. I only watch the 3 minute video clips on Roku of his TV show.

Hannity is more a moderator than an entertainer or content provider. His show is based on guests. I thought the giving out of the capital phone number last week was a real show killer. I look at the shows for their quality, not the politics. Someone droning on like "democracy" now does is a real dial flipper. Savage at least can entertain.

I am a programmer and a radio host, and I have not ran in to one person who is responsible for a radio station in anyway that would willingly trade Sean Hannity for Savage.

Now my corporate overlords are forcing it on me, after forcing other horrible programming choices like Geraldo and Mike Huckabee.

I am a programmer and a radio host, and I have not ran in to one person who is responsible for a radio station in anyway that would willingly trade Sean Hannity for Savage.

I understand what you're saying. We all know there are tiers in talk. The top tier has historically been Rush and Hannity. Lower tiers might be Dennis Miller or Laura Ingraham. Then there's Geraldo. I get it. It's tough when your decisions are forced on you. But being a programmer is playing the cards you're dealt. I say that every day. You don't always get four aces. Some days you gotta play the 7-deuce. That's your situation. It means you'll have a smaller budget to do some of the things you'd want to do. But that's where creativity comes in. My most creative time was when I worked for a non-commercial station with zero-based budget. It forced me to think without money. At a music station, the job of the programmer is often what goes between the songs, especially when the songs are being chosen for you. At a talk station, the job of the programmer is what goes in between the talk. The promotions, the news, the community interaction, etc. I look around the country and see if anyone is winning with Geraldo and Huckabee, and the answer is no. But you gotta play the cards you're dealt.

The bigger problem I see is that the top tier in talk is pretty small. Talk as a format is limited, and needs to reinvent itself. That is the challenge facing talk as a format, because all of these guys are aging, their demo is aging, and there are no good choices. The reality was that keeping Hannity wasn't a solution, it was delaying the inevitable. Like keeping Imus.

Nor would I if I were in your shoes. Savage is downright LAZY. His show is nothing but canned interviews and rambling monologues on the 3 days a week he can be bothered to show up. Anyone who is in the know can tell you that whether you like Hannity's style or not, he is GREAT to work with on the business side of the ledger.

Nor would I if I were in your shoes. Savage is downright LAZY. His show is nothing but canned interviews and rambling monologues on the 3 days a week he can be bothered to show up. Anyone who is in the know can tell you that whether you like Hannity's style or not, he is GREAT to work with on the business side of the ledger.

Even though I am not a conservative, I think Savage is far more interesting and entertaining than Hannity. Savage is at least provocative. Hannity is a bore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom