• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WQSV gets another go at it?

I recall visiting the station in the 1990s or early 2000s on a visit to see my parents in Nashville. I walk in the building and turn right into the studio expecting to find the jock. Not finding anyone in the studio I stayed in the lobby area waiting to be noticed, assuming the only person there might be in the restroom. In the studio one of the southern gospel CDs is tracking song after song. At about the 15 minute mark, my coffee from earlier had me exploring the station for the restroom. It was then I figured I was the only human in the building. About 5 minutes later Corky strolls in, says hello, goes in the studio and plays a stack of carts, about 8 thirties in a row and joins network news in progress. It seems that he frequently would dash out while a CD played to visit clients along the square, always on foot and leaving the station door unlocked.

This is not the first time the station has been sold for the note. Before Corky's long run at the station I remember it being oldies back, I think, in 1989. The calls were WAJN and from hours of listening I only heard the same advertisers: Ashland City Floor Covering with maybe a 10 second weather sponsorship at about 5 past the hour, every hour and every time they did the time it was "Brown's Concrete and Block time". No long after I think the bank took it and I think it was Corky that took it over.

I call WQSV a suburban Nashville station,, too close to have much impact with listeners and too close to Nashville to reel in the income needed. Such stations are always close to the edge: WPFD Fairview, WQSE in White Bluff, etc. I sort of liked the WQSE set up with the house built connected to the original studios on Hall Lane in the shadow of the towers.

I would say that you are right. Ashland City is only about 20 miles from downtown Nashville, making it probably the closest neighboring county seat to Nashville. And Cheatham County is also the (geographically) smallest county bordering Nashville-Davidson County. It is only about six miles (east to west) across the southern end of the county. Add to that that the northern end of the county is sandwiched between Nashville and Clarksville, while we here in the southern end are positioned between Nashville and Dickson. Quite a bit of programming that is still relevant to us available from neighboring counties.

In the wake of the 2010 floods, I got far better flood coverage from WAKM in Franklin than from anything that WQSV was doing.

This probably should not come as any surprise to anyone, but any further development of the radio station in Ashland City is on hold right now, on account of the government shutdown.

For what it is worth, and not that anyone other than me would still care about it, but WQSV returned to the air earlier this month, with Corky (not so) Albright at the mic again. Apparently the deal to sell to the Springfield stations fell through. So now we are once again stuck with the same great programming that you have come to expect from WQSV, like automation butchering song endings, double audio, songs overlapping each other, songs overlapping commercials, commercials overlapping each other, and just plain old dead air.

Right now, the website that they still promote on-air, www.wqsvam790.com is not even active, and you must search WJNA (the call letters that the "new" station was to have) on radio-locator to find out anything about them. A search on radio-locator for "WQSV" pulls up an LPFM station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom