• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Zac Brown To Luke Bryan: Your Song Sucks!

Feel free to show me where I said that. I didn't.

OK Here's what you said:

Everyone knows that radio caters to certain highly-prized "demographics," and it is my guess that those who like "hick-hop" are in that highly-coveted "demo." As for the rest of us? We are just SOL!

The logic being IF radio caters to a demo, and radio plays hick hop, therefore fans of hick hop make up that demo.

Not necessarily, since radio plays a wide range of music, covering a broad demographic, and while fans of that music might be included, they're not the only group being addressed. I'm sure at least some of what you'd like to hear is being played. Unless your taste is strictly from the 1940s.

OK Here's what you said:
The logic being IF radio caters to a demo, and radio plays hick hop, therefore fans of hick hop make up that demo.
Again, you are reading something into what I said that I did not actually say. You are trying to tell me that fans of hick-hop are NOT in that demo? Where is that "bridge to nowhere" that you are trying to sell me? If hick-hop fans were not in that demo, radio would not play them. Where did I say that they make up the entirety of that demo? It is well-known that radio caters to the lowest common denominator, and hick-hop fans do indeed make up a lot of that demo right now. No, not all of it, but certainly a lot of it.

Again, you are reading something into what I said that I did not actually say. You are trying to tell me that fans of hick-hop are NOT in that demo?

No I didn't say that. I'll repeat: They make up a PART of that demo. Just as the pop country fans make up a PART of that demo. And the traditional fans make up a PART of that demo. And no, I don't think it's a large part of it. I think the fans of Luke Bryan make up a large part of it. Luke can do just about anything now, and it'll get positive reaction. The artist singing the song plays a big part in the response. So you have a combination of factors, with listeners reacting positively to anything an artist does, and are also not unfamiliar with the effects being used in this song. Put that together and you get a hit.

The thing about Garth is that once he became popular, he was attacked endlessly as being a pop star, and critics made a big deal about it when he appeared on a Kiss tribute album, and included them among his influences. Yet to hear his music today, it's far countrier than most of today's hits. He continued to be battered continually by "holier than thou" critics, especially when he released his Chris Gaines album, which was never intended to be an album, but rather a soundtrack for a movie. Ultimately the endless attacks led to him retiring from performing. As one who watched it play out, it reminded me of the Biblical tale of those who were unable to recognize their savior as he walked in their midst. There are many similar tales of great stars who were ultimately destroyed by endless attacks and criticism.
Garth was credited with starting the "new country" sound of the 90s. And yet most of what I hear him to do is real, traditional country. He is played on the classic country station I listen to. I never thought of "The Dance" as country but I guess it could be. I sincerely hope I never hear "The Thunder Rolls" because that one's just too harsh. Same for "Shameless", though that one might not be as bad as I remember. There was steel guitar in that.

Cumulus and Clear Channel deserve a lot of blame, but I can take this all the way back to the late 90's when TNN was gradually dismantled from within once the parent company of CMT took over.

It is disingenuous to claim that radio plays no role at all in this. Everyone knows that radio caters to certain highly-prized "demographics," and it is my guess that those who like "hick-hop" are in that highly-coveted "demo." As for the rest of us? We are just SOL!

Article in the Tennessean last weekend about "hick-hop." It was the above-the-fold cover story last weekend. I never really liked "traditional" country. It just wasn't my thing. But I definitely would not like "hick-hop." This just makes me glad that I don't listen to whatever passes for "contemporary" country music these days.

This is why I don't listen to mainstream broadcast radio anymore. The country music genre lost me around 2005 or so when radio stations started playing music that didn't sound like country to me at all. Then we all know what happened when Taylor Swift hit the scene a couple years later. She makes me want to vomit!

This is why I listen to mainly bluegrass and southern Gospel music. I used to be a bluegrass DJ in college in the early 90's, and a vast majority of the bluegrass music being released today sounds pretty much the same as what I used to play on the air in college. Most artists are staying true to the sound of bluegrass.

And it's gotten worse. With F-G-L adding rap to their "This is How We Roll" song, and pretty much every song targeting a 22-year-old girl, and how every songwriter is targeting the same love story in songs, it's not worth it anymore to listen to today's country music.

-crainbebo

it's not worth it anymore to listen to today's country music.

-crainbebo
Remember in the old movies how the bad guys would always torture the good guys by making them listen to loud opera music? Yeah, that's what it feels like to flip on the country station.

Thats NOT my kinda night ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom