• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP Kix96 Savannah

Someone on here, I can't remember who, posted that they'd never change the Kix name because of the heritage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these people don't care about that. All they care about is the bottom line. K-Country in Albany is next.

Someone on here, I can't remember who, posted that they'd never change the Kix name because of the heritage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these people don't care about that. All they care about is the bottom line. K-Country in Albany is next.

Just as I expected, the KIX96 image was retired. Can't go around having a unique identity in radio these days: The stockholders, creditors and bankruptcy trustees won't have it! To show both my age and my SciFi tastes, Kix96 has been assimilated by the Borg-casters. I'm more sad than offended, but I am plenty offended.

Thanks musicislife. It may have been K-Country we were talking about. Either way, my point is history and heritage means nothing to the consolidators. I remember when Kix was "Kix 96 and a half" which I thought was a pretty neat way of expressing the dial position.

I don't want to jinx anything, but isn't this the only radio station other than WSOK which hasn't gone for a trendy call sign? WJCL FM is the original call sign. I remember listening to the station on their first day on the air.

Why??

I don't see why they would change it to Nash FM...... Kix 96 is a better name.....sure Nash is where country music is the county music captal but I grew. Up listening to Kix 96 the people have changed in the station I don't like that NASH FM CHANGE BACK TO KIX 96 IM SO ****ING PISSED 😡😡😡😡😡

Damn Nashville

They took out kix96 go **** yourself Nash FM and brings back kix 96 I know y'all dont care for the heritage of it but BRING THE THE ****ING STATION BACK I LISTEN TO IT WHEN INWAS GROWING UP JUST LIKE THE OTHER GUY 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

The original owner, J.C. Lewis, insisted on it being "KIX 96 1/2" despite our protests that "KIX 96" was catchier. He was convinced that listeners wouldn't figure out where it was on the dial if we didn't. This was before most people had digital displays, too!

"And a half" was dropped as soon as Cumulus bought the station. One of the few smart things they did there.

Sorry, fellows, but this is the era of the consolidators. This decision was taken with the corporate bottom line as the most important consideration. Very likely the final decision was taken with very little consideration being given to local radio at the street level. The consolidators ... well ... they buy up vast numbers of local stations, sell off assets and centralize operations. Station programming is based solely on whatever is the company game plan. As someone said above, NASH is a Cumulus brand; therefore, eventually NASH will replace programming on all Cumulus country stations. The only way any change will be made is if NASH tanks. These companies are going for an economy of scale and trying to get the most return on their investment in programming, which is good business practice.

I have always believed that radio broadcasting should be local. The consolidators think that radio broadcasting should be regional or national, with centralized programming being fed to individual stations in the chain, with little or no local talent or program origination. Right now, the consolidators control radio, and they think that their game plan is a winning one. Broadcasting has been in a slump generally for quite a few years. This is not necessarily the fault of the consolidators, but I do not believe their business philosophy is doing any good for what used to be a strong industry and a vital part of many communities.

Of course. With Al Jennings and eventually Joe Cox, a.k.a. Capn' Sandy.

Last edited:
The original owner, J.C. Lewis, insisted on it being "KIX 96 1/2" despite our protests that "KIX 96" was catchier. He was convinced that listeners wouldn't figure out where it was on the dial if we didn't. This was before most people had digital displays, too!

"And a half" was dropped as soon as Cumulus bought the station. One of the few smart things they did there.

Maybe so ... perhaps not. I always thought it made WJCL stand out from the crowd. It was different and made the station easy to remember.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom