• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gilligan Island on ME TV

I watched Gilligans Island last night on ME. They showed the pilot & first episode. I know the first season was filmed in B &W but I thought those episodes were "colorized". I was surprised they don't have the rights to the colorized episodes. I doubt anyone would complain about the "colorization" of gilligan Island.

I didn't get to see last night's airings of Gilligan's, but I could remember the colorized episodes of the first season when they ran on TBS (and later TNT) and local syndication in the '90s. By the early '90s, Turner assumed the show's distribution, hence why the first season was colorized...when the Warners took control of Turner, the black and white episodes were put back in syndication, although I believe that networks/stations had still an option of airing the black & white or colorized versions.

Personal opinion, I didn't care for the colorized version of season one...everything looked very washed-out. I could very easily live with the B&W version.

It was great to see Gilligan's Island again Haven't seen it in awhile. Some channel used to have a marathon around Thanksgiving, and IIRC it was (W)TBS. But I forget which channel. Anyone remember?

-crainbebo

I've seen every episode of Gilligan's Island dozens of times, or so I thought. The second episode that aired on ME-TV last night (they were building huts) did not look familiar. I don't recall seeing that one before. Maybe it was not shown very much in syndication or maybe I just happened to miss it every time it aired. Oh well. It's nice to see Gilligan again. It's been quite a while.

Last edited:
Thanks to Me-TV, Antenna TV, RTN, and Cozi TV, all sorts of classic shows have found new life in the digital era.

Nice to see Gilligan and the gang joining the party.

I haven't seen Gilligan since the late 80s when I used to watch it on TBS. Was all set to watch it last night only to discover that our Memphis MeTV affiliate is pre-empting the 7-9pm block with back to back episodes of L&O: SVU. Like we can't see THAT anywhere else...

I caught the two episodes on Tuesday, after missing the 'debut' on Labor Day. It was nice seeing the show again; it virtually disappeared when TBS dropped it about 10-15 years ago. 'Dogdaze' may have a point about the first season episodes getting less airplay in syndication; I'd forgotten about some of the details from early in the series(how they actually had more provisions and supplies, which Gilligan accidentally destroyed; last night, he took out their supply of emergency flares in one episode, and the radio transmitter in the other). Overall, though, the best episodes featured guest stars; tonight's(9/4) showings include Hans Conreid as 'Wrong Way Feldman', the first 'outsider' to meet the seven castaways.

I did like the guest appearances by various people, like with Phil Silvers, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and a young Kurt Russell. However, I liked the dream sequence episodes more (and were personal favorites of various cast members as well).

TV Land and the Hallmark Channel used to broadcast "Gilligan's Island" on a regular basis after the Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) stopped doing so in 2002 (TV Land stopped in 2004; the Hallmark Channel stopped in 2005). The last time it was broadcast nationally was in 2005 as part of TV Land's celebration of the 20th anniversary of Nick at Nite (Nick at Nite used to broadcast the program regularly until 2001).

Personal opinion, I didn't care for the colorized version of season one...everything looked very washed-out. I could very easily live with the B&W version.

I didn't care for the colorized season one eps either. Probably because I had seen all three seasons several times through on Philly stations (WKBS-48 [COL Burlington, NJ], then WTAF-29 [now WTXF Fox 29]) in the '70s.

ixnay

I love the pilot, it was filmed on one of my favorite beaches on Kauai. Moloa'a Bay, one of those nice places that the tourists don't know about...

OK, I know that they frequently clipped out parts of shows, but I am absolutely sure that there was an episode where they got radio active food in a crate, and at the end, Gillligan picked up a big thing from the crate, said "I wonder what this is?" and threw it into the lagoon, and there was a file footage clip of an atomic bomb test. Tell me I'm not nuts...

Everything I've read about the show says they filmed all three seasons in the same 'lagoon', which was really just on the Studio City lot. But the first season locale looked very different from the rather bland backdrop of the other two. So, where did they do the first season?

For the pilot, they went to Hawaii. The scenes of the ship leaving harbor were filmed in Honolulu, the beach was Moloa'a Bay. Then it was studio..

Natalie Schaeffer said that the only reason she did the show was for the free trip to Hawaii for the pilot, she never expected it to be picked up.

OK, I know that they frequently clipped out parts of shows, but I am absolutely sure that there was an episode where they got radio active food in a crate, and at the end, Gillligan picked up a big thing from the crate, said "I wonder what this is?" and threw it into the lagoon, and there was a file footage clip of an atomic bomb test. Tell me I'm not nuts...

Not the episode where the castaways find the radioactive food. Could be the episode where Gilligan takes the World War II mine attached to a raft and the mine explodes in the middle of the ocean and rains fish on the castaways or the episode where they find the volcano and it explodes just seconds after Gilligan and Ginger escape from inside the volcano.

That was most likely the episode called "Forward March" from season 2 in which a gorilla was throwing bombs into the lagoon.

I wonder if Memorable Entertainment Television had audio problems with their presentation of the episode "Goodbye Island" today (the audio for the episode was muted for less than one second at certain points)? If not, the problems were probably related to either the station that was broadcasting the episode to my area or the provider of my cable TV service.

Last edited:
It must be a problem with ME-TV, the dropouts were also on the San Francisco affiliate. This also happens occasionally with 'MASH', although it affects the commercials more ofthen than the episode.

Thanks to Me-TV, Antenna TV, RTN, and Cozi TV, all sorts of classic shows have found new life in the digital era.
- Yeah too bad RTN and Cozi sucks... Antenna TV is headed that way too.

The opening segment where the Minnow is leaving the harbor was actually filmed at Newport Beach CA. The shot of them stranded on the beach was shot there, too. That small beach and the exit of the harbor look pretty much the same today. The beach is almost directly across from the amusement park where some scenes of Arrested Development were filmed. But yes, some scenes were filmed in Hawaii.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom