• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNSX Format

Has anyone else noticed subtle programming changes with the format on WNSX @ 97.7? Over the last several weeks the addition of songs is noticeable. Hello 80s, 90s, and early to mid 2000s. Here's what's missing: Bread, Dr. Hook, Seals & Croft, Janis Joplin, Carly Simon, The Band, Jim Croce and more. I haven't heard any of these smooth staple artists in weeks, but I have heard: Coldplay, Train, John Mayer, Alanis Morissette The B-52s, Seal, Lenny Kravitz, Maroon 5, The Cure and more. Where songs from Blues Traveler, Gin Blossoms and Melissa Etheridge got airplay before, the rotation focuses on these more regularly. Hearing less 60s, early 70s and more 80s and beyond, perhaps (but rarely) as late as 2008 or 2009. They seem to be programming between the other two stations that serve this market and I'm wondering what folks think. I was surprised to see no one else discussing it.

They seem to be programming between the other two stations that serve this market and I'm wondering what folks think. I was surprised to see no one else discussing it.

What are the other 2 stations serving the market? Hancock County has a bunch of stations licensed to it. WNSX can be considered a Bangor station, at least to the east of the market. I can see why they're moving the format in the direction they are: There's no AC in the Bangor market. You have a bunch of stations that play parts of the Ac format, but no "at work, best variety of the 70s, 80s, 90s & today" type AC. The softer stuff is on 93.7, the older stuff is on WGUY, the hotter stuff is on Kiss.

No ones talking about it because the further north you get in radio, the less the message boards seem to cover.

Since WRMO went soft ac/started playing currents and BIG 104 began its tripecast on 107.7, WNSX as now taken its "smooth rock 'n roll" format into a different direction. The key difference of course is that 97.7 does not play currents and really only plays rock based ac, along with playing songs from artists that are not considered part of the ac family. They seem to be programming a cross between what WRMO plays and what WBKA (BIG 104 at 107.7) plays. The combination of songs heard on both those stations, mixed with the addition of 90s and early 2000's rock/pop hits, may help drive more listeners. 90's music is a good thing to tap into, because it's the next logical step in classic hits. I don't consider WNSX part of the Bangor market though, as they bill themselves a Down East station serving Hancock and Washington counties. Yes, depending on where you are in the Bangor area the signal does pick up, but its reception is often spotty.

Don't forget "Hancock County's original radio station AM1370 WDEA" Oldies/Standards/Soft AC mix from Dial Global. Definitely not at all like, or trying to compete with WNSX; but I switch back and forth between WDEA WNSX and WRMO. I just wish they would bring back CBS News.

Star 97-7 (formerly branded WNSX @ 97.7) continues its "Smooth Rock 'n Roll" format. Since the last update, the playlist has become even tighter. Prior to 2012 the station had more variety and would play lesser known songs not often heard on radio anymore. Some artists now have only one song in rotation instead of multiple songs. After the playlist update, many songs that made the core station sound left forever. Not only did many songs leave, but entire artists, including to this day: Bob Dylan, The Byrds, Joe Cocker, Carly Simon, The Band, Beard, K.D. Lang, Seals & Crofts, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell and more. Many musicians survived the playlist overhaul and have helped transition the stations overall sound. These artists include: Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Bob Seger, Eagles, The Beatles and more. If the additional songs stayed with the ones removed, it would have been so much better. What about hearing random songs from Al Stewart, Phish, or Ric Ocasek. Maybe something local. The station doesn't seem to have a real good sense of itself like it did before. While the music side of things could use some TLC, several things remain unchanged. Their committed to local and regional news. They are great with community involvement and keeping the public informed of happenings throughout Downeast Maine. They also utilize social media very well. The station provides wonderful spots for local area businesses and has built trusting relationships with the communities they serve. Finally, the station has incredible local on-air talent.

Star 97-7 recently updated their website. Perhaps within the last 6 weeks or so. Looks sort of similar to 2014's winner of first place best website award. Screen shot 2015-04-20 at 6.12.43 PM.jpgScreen shot 2015-04-20 at 6.12.55 PM.jpg

Star's playlist was updated again around April of 2016. This change purged almost all 90s and what few early 2000s songs they started playing back in August 2013. Songs from Coldplay, Maroon 5, Gin Blossoms, Hootie & The Blowfish, Alanis Morissette, Jesus Jones, The Cranberries, John Mayer, Train, Barenaked Ladies, The Wallflowers, Blues Traveler, Matchbox 20, Dishwalla, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Collective Soul, Red Hot Chili Peppers and more are gone. Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan has returned, along with Me and Bobby McGee from Janis Joplin. Both Dylan and Joplin were in rotation prior late summer 2013, but had been missing until April 2016. Star is mainly back to playing 70s and 80s rock-based songs. Some artists who were already on the playlist had more songs added, along with artists not previously played at all. They include: Five Man Electrical Band, The Who, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Billy Idol, Rod Stewart, The Zombies, The Clash, Mott The Hoople, Dobie Gray, Pat Benatar and more. They're now airing Rock & Rolls Greatest Hits with Dick Bartley on Saturday's from 7 to 10 pm. It's a national call in requests show, but it's interesting to note, WNSX is a non-request station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom