• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNEW to 95.5; PGC to 99.1

According to dcrtv http://www.dcrtv.com :

"High Level" CBS Execs Focus On PGC's Slump - 8/19 - DCRTV hears from a reliable local radio source that CBS Radio is having "high level execs meeting to decide the future of heritage signal," urban contemporary WPGC, 95.5 FM. The station, once a regular "top 5" performer, has difficulty making the DC radio "top 10" these days, and often ranks much lower.

Would it make sense to move WNEW to 95.5 to compete with WTOP, and as the 99.1 signal covers Baltimore better it would be a perfect fit for WPGC as CBS don't own any station with a similar format in Baltimore.

WPGC http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WPGC&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

Any thoughts?

WNEW http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WNEW&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

I don't know how much a better signal could really help out WNEW. And putting PGC on 99.1 could hurt it even more, I think they might have to look at a format change for WNEW. I don't see them finding success considering the top two stations in the market are News/Talk. Not to mention Cumulus has one. There's not a market for a forth.

There is a on going problem with WPGC if you want to call it a problem and that is that it makes a lot of money every year and that it does well in the 18-34 demo even with its current overall ratings state. So that is the catch 22 with any flip of PGC the likely flip target is Fresh-Fm which bills less but has a strong signal like 955 does. Baltimore has lost two major FM Urban stations from CBS Radio in the past two decades so PGC going to 99.1 is not happening. You would lose millions in Ad revenue with a WPGC move or flip its not going to happen but you never know. Its highly unlikely.

He**, the lack of proper programming management has resulted in this "slump" in overall 6+ ratings for the past 5 years. The chasing of the "suburban demographic" is PGC's problem. The station's advertisements say "urban contemporary", but its overall assessment of musical programming says "we want to be accepted by the low attention span audience of the DMV". Their problem is they lost the audience that kept them on top that why there is a void in the urban radio market in DC.

They ought to take a note from their highly competitive sister station, V-103 in Atlanta and battle the other urbans in the market head on. DC's larger than average and educated black population is being ignored. The cash flow isn't weak, so what's the real problem in Parliament Place?

He**, the lack of proper programming management has resulted in this "slump" in overall 6+ ratings for the past 5 years. The chasing of the "suburban demographic" is PGC's problem. The station's advertisements say "urban contemporary", but its overall assessment of musical programming says "we want to be accepted by the low attention span audience of the DMV". Their problem is they lost the audience that kept them on top that why there is a void in the urban radio market in DC.

They ought to take a note from their highly competitive sister station, V-103 in Atlanta and battle the other urbans in the market head on. DC's larger than average and educated black population is being ignored. The cash flow isn't weak, so what's the real problem in Parliament Place?

I agree they should have went the V-103 direction 5 years ago. Full Service Urban a cross between WKYS and WHUR.

Let's not post "WNEW to 95.5, PGC to 99.1" if it's just an idea or speculation. At least put a question mark at the end, if it's not proven fact.

WNEW's problems are due to the signal. The product is good. CBS made a big investment. But they put it on a suburban signal, licensed to Bowie and stuck at 99.1 between two Washington-based stations at 98.7 and 99.5. Anyone could tell you, on a small desktop radio in a Washington office building, you won't get a clear signal, with WMZQ and WIHT overpowering it from each side.

As for WPGC, despite its overall ratings drop, it's still #3 in the 18-34 ratings, with WIHT #1 and WKYS #2. So it's still making good money. WIAD is the weaker station. It has a full Washington signal but doesn't make the top 5 in either 18-49 or 25-54. That's where CBS should have put the All-News format if they really wanted to compete with WTOP. WIAD's Hot AC format could have gone on 99.1 since it's aimed at suburban listeners anyway.

WIAD will never go to 99.1 because it would pull listeners away from Mix 106.5 in Maryland.

I do agree that putting All News on 99.1 was a terrible move. Frankly, 107.9's format ought to go back to 99.1, and 107.9 should be flipped to a format that targets Baltimore and the areas east of D.C.

I think flipping 107.9 to Country & pairing it with the new 106.1 translator might be a decent move. CBS should've never bought that signal, frankly.

WIAD will never go to 99.1 because it would pull listeners away from Mix 106.5 in Maryland.

I do agree that putting All News on 99.1 was a terrible move. Frankly, 107.9's format ought to go back to 99.1, and 107.9 should be flipped to a format that targets Baltimore and the areas east of D.C.

I think flipping 107.9 to Country & pairing it with the new 106.1 translator might be a decent move. CBS should've never bought that signal, frankly.

I guess WNEW-FM will be staying at 99.1 for now. In fact, CBS announced that they're setting up a Baltimore bureau and assigning reporters to it, so WNEW-FM can cover both cities. And with the station on 99.1, licensed to Bowie, with its tower north of DC, they're hitting Baltimore better than WTOP can.

Of course, with Washington being Market #7 and Baltimore being #21, and WTOP being the station with the highest revenue in the country, WNEW-FM will continue to make DC its primary focus. But if they can pick up some listeners and advertisers in Baltimore, more the better.

WFED ..Federal News Radio A highly niched format that targets government employees. I do enjoy DXing at night and listening to all news stations. WTOP and WNEW are both on FM. I wish Hubbard would simulcast WTOP on 1500. What a reach that signal has at night!

A Gospel format would've been great on either 99.1 or 107.9 and I think a golden opportunity was missed by either Radio One or another broadcaster. With either signal, you could reach both Baltimore and Washington and 'killed two birds with one stone'. IF Radio One would've acquired either property, they could've unloaded as many as three under-performing properties.

Now regarding WPGC, It's a shame that either they (or someone else) won't try a rhythmic/AC/Dance format (a la WKTU). I think that format could work her if done right.

It's a shame that either they (or someone else) won't try a rhythmic/AC/Dance format (a la WKTU). I think that format could work her if done right.

So what exactly is 97.5 supposed to be going to soon?
And why isn't there any rhythmic radio out here, other than WiLD 96.7, which cannot be picked up in seemingly most areas, and seems to have no mix dj's?
And why is DC / Baltimore section so dead?
Lastly, seems like I hear Baltimore Club Music more often while in Phoenix than I have since I came out here to Maryland. Ironic.

Nevermind - There is definitely a lot more Baltimore Club Music going on out here than there is in Arizona; I notice that 92Q WERQ plays some Baltimore Club Music in certain mix shows at least five out of seven days of the week, and 95.5 WPGC also plays some house music during their (old school) noon mix.

I also noticed the addition of Ne-yo ft Pitbull "time of our lives" on WPGC. Seems like WPGC kind of shows their rhythmic side a bit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom