Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GRcowboy View Post
    What a classic soup recipe this thread has developed.
    And this morning I awaken to messages that specify the give us the job description of our Congress. Since this is a mud-wrestle involving some folks who support Talk Radio as we know it, and Talk Radio as we know it is highly supportive of the idea that government is not capable of guiding the economy, is not tasked with guiding our economy, the free market is "god" in this area: We have a message proclaiming that Congress has something more important to do than worry about Talk Radio... they MUST solve unemployment?

    Oh? I thought only the free enterprise system could or should do that.

    We are a really diverse group arent we! (Sorry, I know that diversity is a dirty word in the Talk Radio world, but it just seemed to fit so well.) :
    Federal income tax policies and Federal regulations (both set into law by Congress) affect free enterprise -- consequently, they also affect employment. Federal income taxation and regulation can promote or hinder private enterprise. I think most people from both sides of the political spectrum agree on that premise, including many conservative talk hosts.

    The difference, of course, is which Federal tax and regulatory policies are to be used, and how they are used. Regardless, I think that with the amount of problems this country is presently facing -- economically and otherwise -- having Congress investigate Rush Limbaugh over his three or four daily callers possibly being paid actors would take up time that would be better used for other things.

  2. #12
    As one who has actually called a talk show in the past and has gotten on the air, to whom do I complain about not getting that alleged pay, and can I get it with a few years worth of interest?

    Ah, but the First Amendment lets us know you are there.
    No irony there.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie View Post
    As one who has actually called a talk show in the past and has gotten on the air, to whom do I complain about not getting that alleged pay, and can I get it with a few years worth of interest?

    Ah, but the First Amendment lets us know you are there.

    Silkie, If you are interested in becoming a paid caller then apply for the job. If your audition satisfies Premiere Radio Network you will be paid to call Premiere programs including Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and company. You can apply here.

    Apply here>>

    http://www.premiereradio.com/shows/v...e_on_call.html


    If hired, please remember your friend who steered you in the right direction. Joshzz

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkie View Post
    As one who has actually called a talk show in the past and has gotten on the air, to whom do I complain about not getting that alleged pay, and can I get it with a few years worth of interest?

    Ah, but the First Amendment lets us know you are there.
    The pay these guys claim the callers are making is more than some hosts make. Including me.

    And still not a shred of proof. Not a single example of a fake caller has been presented.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Small Market Guy View Post
    The pay these guys claim the callers are making is more than some hosts make. Including me.

    And still not a shred of proof. Not a single example of a fake caller has been presented.


    Small Market Guy, Not a shred of proof? Premiere Radio Network is hiring people to call talk shows. It's on their website.

    This is plainly reality. The ad says they are looking for people to be paid for calling in talk shows. If you can't believe that when it's right on their website there's a disconnect.

  6. #16
    FredLeonard
    Guest
    Josh: I guess SMG thinks Premiere recruits paid callers but never uses them. Makes no sense but even so, it wouldn't be the first time.

    It's said when somebody so slavishly swallows the industry line.

    Alex Trebeck is labeled a "Compensated Endorser" in those insurance commercials. But even so, some sort of truth in labeling regulations are needed for any kind of celebrity testimonial - including local jocks who read spots which imply the jock uses and likes the product.

    Heck, I'd like to see all broadcast rules and regs rolled back 30 years - back to when people actually listened and stations actually made money, back before Bain bean counters took over.

  7. #17
    Hmmm...roll back regulation 30 years? That takes us to 1983, the year the FCC issued Docket 80-90, and over-licensed the FM spectrum.

    The fact is you can't roll back time. And if you only changed broadcast regulation, it wouldn't change the circumstances and environment that existed at the time. Reagan was in the White House, de-regulation was hitting other businesses besides broadcasting, and music was becoming more portable and available directly without radio. I'm pretty sure radio would have ended up exactly where we are now regardless of federal regulations.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by joshzz View Post
    Small Market Guy, Not a shred of proof? Premiere Radio Network is hiring people to call talk shows. It's on their website.

    This is plainly reality. The ad says they are looking for people to be paid for calling in talk shows. If you can't believe that when it's right on their website there's a disconnect.
    They hire comics and actors to call morning shows. That's how Larry the Cable Guy got started. This is well known to anyone who actually knows something about radio. If political talk shows are using these callers, SHOW ME ONE EXAMPLE OF SUCH A CALL.

    It's time you and your little racist troll friend step up and prove what you're claiming.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Hmmm...roll back regulation 30 years? That takes us to 1983, the year the FCC issued Docket 80-90, and over-licensed the FM spectrum.

    The fact is you can't roll back time. And if you only changed broadcast regulation, it wouldn't change the circumstances and environment that existed at the time. Reagan was in the White House, de-regulation was hitting other businesses besides broadcasting, and music was becoming more portable and available directly without radio. I'm pretty sure radio would have ended up exactly where we are now regardless of federal regulations.

    Take me back to the late sixties and early seventies. I was a young lad then but radio was king. Even during the early eighties it was exciting. Most stations had local morning shows and Jerry Wells was the king of all in Philadelphia even beating out the local WMMR favorite. We were recently honored to have Jerry emcee a concert on behalf of our radio station network. We're looking forward to giving him more opportunity to grow with the LIFT FM Radio Network.

    Regarding professional callers to talk shows: Sometime ago we started a new entity within LIFT FM to compete with Premiere Radio Networks, called AZ Professional Callers.

    This is an subsidiary of LIFT FM.

    Our promotion: Our professional voice actors are trained to generate excitement and spark interest from potential sponsors and listeners. The bottom line is, more sponsors, more callers, and more listeners means more revenue.

    No more dead air! No more waiting on ill-prepared callers!

    We say Think Big! Give a giant boost to your weekly show and to your financial future!

  10. #20
    Still waiting for that example.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us