Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?

Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?

We now know that call-in political talk programs are a fraud in the sense that for the most part the callers are voice actors that are paid to read a script.

The US is supposed to be a free country that values liberty and open discussion on the issues. Instead we have an assortment of radio talk programs that are basically an advertisement for a political party. I just like you, believe that the media needs to honest with the public and if need be, they must be forced to be upfront.

The companies that produce infomercials that employ famous personalities wouldn't tell us that people like Alex Trebeck and the Fonz are paid employees of the company if they weren't required by law.

Using that same reasoning, Premiere Radio Networks needs to be forced by law to acknowledge that specific calls are paid callers. They can't deny it as they employ many paid callers.

The main national right and left wing talkers are well coordinated as a unit on a daily basis. The main ones regurgitate much of the same material. They’re getting paid millions to sell talking points. To be useful the call needs to be in agreement with the conservative talking point of the day. Abramoff emails had some references to coordinating radio when trying to influence politicians. Local right wing talkers often reinforce the national shows and coordinate with state and local GOP political needs -the same holds through with the left. Are they getting preferred topics lists and how are these coordinated with paid callers on a national scale?

What percentage of the calls that make it through to Limbaugh and Hannity during a day, reaching many millions of listeners, are from real callers? The real answer may be very embarrassing considering that so many conservatives believe in these guys as being honest.

Though the influence of national talk radio is diminishing, it's time that congress steps in and requires that the public be well informed as to what is going on behind the scenes regarding talk radio.

Your thoughts on this?

Re: Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?

I think congress would do well sticking to more important business. Like how this country and our freedoms are being eroded daily. Not that they will. They have not so far.

I don't listen to hate radio but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they are selling something and it isn't fair and balanced reporting.

If the paid voices were disclosed (and therefore presumably silenced) all it would take is a producer with a list of phone numbers to find another Joe Sixpack who would like 15 minutes of fame to rant and roar in the paid voice's place. There are more than enough media whores out there that it wouldn't even take as much effort as it is today.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."

Seems pretty clear to me.

No means no.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    No means no.
    Free speech: YES! Fraudulent Business Practices: maybe NO

Think back 50 years ago (My WORD! has it been THAT long ago?) to the Payola things of the late 50s and early 60s. To enter into a fraudulent business practice in which money exchanges hands to present broadcast material under false pretenses becomes and issue of crime and deception, not an issue of free speech.

But I am skeptical than Congress can become involved without sending a false message to the public that Congress CAN INDEED screw around with issues of free speech. Either the public has to get all bent out of shape and originate a "Occupy Broadcast Row" movement, or the advertising community has to get their panties in a wad over any non-circumspect programming content that is misleading.

And if advertisers began making noise.... even privately.... I would expect broadcasters to maybe fire back: "People who live in glass houses should not engage in rock throwing. Go clean up your own mess and then come back and talk to us."

Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Quote Originally Posted by josh

We now know that call-in political talk programs are a fraud in the sense that for the most part the callers are voice actors that are paid to read a script.

The US is supposed to be a free country that values liberty and open discussion on the issues. Instead we have an assortment of radio talk programs that are basically an advertisement for a political party. I just like you, believe that the media needs to honest with the public and if need be, they must be forced to be upfront.

The companies that produce infomercials that employ famous personalities wouldn't tell us that people like Alex Trebeck and the Fonz are paid employees of the company if they weren't required by law.

Using that same reasoning, Premiere Radio Networks needs to be forced by law to acknowledge that specific calls are paid callers. They can't deny it as they employ many paid callers.

The main national right and left wing talkers are well coordinated as a unit on a daily basis. The main ones regurgitate much of the same material. They’re getting paid millions to sell talking points. To be useful the call needs to be in agreement with the conservative talking point of the day. Abramoff emails had some references to coordinating radio when trying to influence politicians. Local right wing talkers often reinforce the national shows and coordinate with state and local GOP political needs -the same holds through with the left. Are they getting preferred topics lists and how are these coordinated with paid callers on a national scale?

What percentage of the calls that make it through to Limbaugh and Hannity during a day, reaching many millions of listeners, are from real callers? The real answer may be very embarrassing considering that so many conservatives believe in these guys as being honest.

Though the influence of national talk radio is diminishing, it's time that congress steps in and requires that the public be well informed as to what is going on behind the scenes regarding talk radio.

Your thoughts on this?
    You do realize this is the wrong place to post yet another "evil talk show" thread, right?

Hot Talk isn't the kind of show you're going after. Yet again.

And you still haven't provided a shred of proof that the shows you claim use paid callers actually do.

In an ironic twist, Hot Talk shows ARE the ones using those paid callers.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo Cowboy

But I am skeptical than Congress can become involved without sending a false message to the public that Congress CAN INDEED screw around with issues of free speech.
    It becomes a similar exercise to the Fairness Doctrine debate a couple years ago. You saw how that went. It all just becomes more partisan bickering.

Like one of the others said, I think Congress has more important issues to deal with -- the massive unemployment problem, for example, just to start with.

But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox
    Like one of the others said, I think Congress has more important issues to deal with -- the massive unemployment problem, for example, just to start with.

But that's just my opinion.
    Don't be silly. There is nothing more important in this world than bringing Rush Limbaugh down.

What a classic soup recipe this thread has developed.

Is there a law that requires that Alex Trebec make it clear he is not an employee of the company?

Should "artificial turf" content of talk programs be identified as something other than random spontaneous views from non-affiliated people?

While my wife was participating in a medical appointment, I once again had the great pleasure > of sitting in the waiting room and slogging through HGTV segments where they work with people trying to buy a house, and segments where they scratch their head over home renovations. It became obvious that the 'home flipper' buying a re-po home at an auction and then going through the discovery process of unseen problems in the renovation process was a "set up scene". Should they have been required to disclose that?

And this morning I awaken to messages that specify the give us the job description of our Congress. Since this is a mud-wrestle involving some folks who support Talk Radio as we know it, and Talk Radio as we know it is highly supportive of the idea that government is not capable of guiding the economy, is not tasked with guiding our economy, the free market is "god" in this area: We have a message proclaiming that Congress has something more important to do than worry about Talk Radio... they MUST solve unemployment?

Oh? I thought only the free enterprise system could or should do that.

We are a really diverse group arent we! (Sorry, I know that diversity is a dirty word in the Talk Radio world, but it just seemed to fit so well.) :

Life is too short to waste time dancing with ugly posts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast