• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should Congress launch Talk Show investigation?

joshzz

Star Participant
We now know that call-in political talk programs are a fraud in the sense that for the most part the callers are voice actors that are paid to read a script.

The US is supposed to be a free country that values liberty and open discussion on the issues. Instead we have an assortment of radio talk programs that are basically an advertisement for a political party. I just like you, believe that the media needs to honest with the public and if need be, they must be forced to be upfront.

The companies that produce infomercials that employ famous personalities wouldn't tell us that people like Alex Trebeck and the Fonz are paid employees of the company if they weren't required by law.

Using that same reasoning, Premiere Radio Networks needs to be forced by law to acknowledge that specific calls are paid callers. They can't deny it as they employ many paid callers.

The main national right and left wing talkers are well coordinated as a unit on a daily basis. The main ones regurgitate much of the same material. They’re getting paid millions to sell talking points. To be useful the call needs to be in agreement with the conservative talking point of the day. Abramoff emails had some references to coordinating radio when trying to influence politicians. Local right wing talkers often reinforce the national shows and coordinate with state and local GOP political needs -the same holds through with the left. Are they getting preferred topics lists and how are these coordinated with paid callers on a national scale?

What percentage of the calls that make it through to Limbaugh and Hannity during a day, reaching many millions of listeners, are from real callers? The real answer may be very embarrassing considering that so many conservatives believe in these guys as being honest.

Though the influence of national talk radio is diminishing, it's time that congress steps in and requires that the public be well informed as to what is going on behind the scenes regarding talk radio.

Your thoughts on this?

I think congress would do well sticking to more important business. Like how this country and our freedoms are being eroded daily. Not that they will. They have not so far.

I don't listen to hate radio but it doesn't take a genius to figure out they are selling something and it isn't fair and balanced reporting.

If the paid voices were disclosed (and therefore presumably silenced) all it would take is a producer with a list of phone numbers to find another Joe Sixpack who would like 15 minutes of fame to rant and roar in the paid voice's place. There are more than enough media whores out there that it wouldn't even take as much effort as it is today.

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."

Seems pretty clear to me.

No means no.

TheBigA said:
"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."
Seems pretty clear to me.
No means no.

Free speech: YES! Fraudulent Business Practices: maybe NO

Think back 50 years ago (My WORD! has it been THAT long ago?) to the Payola things of the late 50s and early 60s. To enter into a fraudulent business practice in which money exchanges hands to present broadcast material under false pretenses becomes and issue of crime and deception, not an issue of free speech.

But I am skeptical than Congress can become involved without sending a false message to the public that Congress CAN INDEED screw around with issues of free speech. Either the public has to get all bent out of shape and originate a "Occupy Broadcast Row" movement, or the advertising community has to get their panties in a wad over any non-circumspect programming content that is misleading.

And if advertisers began making noise.... even privately.... I would expect broadcasters to maybe fire back: "People who live in glass houses should not engage in rock throwing. Go clean up your own mess and then come back and talk to us."

josh said:
We now know that call-in political talk programs are a fraud in the sense that for the most part the callers are voice actors that are paid to read a script.

The US is supposed to be a free country that values liberty and open discussion on the issues. Instead we have an assortment of radio talk programs that are basically an advertisement for a political party. I just like you, believe that the media needs to honest with the public and if need be, they must be forced to be upfront.

The companies that produce infomercials that employ famous personalities wouldn't tell us that people like Alex Trebeck and the Fonz are paid employees of the company if they weren't required by law.

Using that same reasoning, Premiere Radio Networks needs to be forced by law to acknowledge that specific calls are paid callers. They can't deny it as they employ many paid callers.

The main national right and left wing talkers are well coordinated as a unit on a daily basis. The main ones regurgitate much of the same material. They’re getting paid millions to sell talking points. To be useful the call needs to be in agreement with the conservative talking point of the day. Abramoff emails had some references to coordinating radio when trying to influence politicians. Local right wing talkers often reinforce the national shows and coordinate with state and local GOP political needs -the same holds through with the left. Are they getting preferred topics lists and how are these coordinated with paid callers on a national scale?

What percentage of the calls that make it through to Limbaugh and Hannity during a day, reaching many millions of listeners, are from real callers? The real answer may be very embarrassing considering that so many conservatives believe in these guys as being honest.

Though the influence of national talk radio is diminishing, it's time that congress steps in and requires that the public be well informed as to what is going on behind the scenes regarding talk radio.

Your thoughts on this?

You do realize this is the wrong place to post yet another "evil talk show" thread, right?

Hot Talk isn't the kind of show you're going after. Yet again.

And you still haven't provided a shred of proof that the shows you claim use paid callers actually do.

In an ironic twist, Hot Talk shows ARE the ones using those paid callers.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
But I am skeptical than Congress can become involved without sending a false message to the public that Congress CAN INDEED screw around with issues of free speech.

It becomes a similar exercise to the Fairness Doctrine debate a couple years ago. You saw how that went. It all just becomes more partisan bickering.

Like one of the others said, I think Congress has more important issues to deal with -- the massive unemployment problem, for example, just to start with.

But that's just my opinion.

boombox said:
Like one of the others said, I think Congress has more important issues to deal with -- the massive unemployment problem, for example, just to start with.

But that's just my opinion.

Don't be silly. There is nothing more important in this world than bringing Rush Limbaugh down.

What a classic soup recipe this thread has developed.

Is there a law that requires that Alex Trebec make it clear he is not an employee of the company?

Should "artificial turf" content of talk programs be identified as something other than random spontaneous views from non-affiliated people?

While my wife was participating in a medical appointment, I once again had the great pleasure :mad: of sitting in the waiting room and slogging through HGTV segments where they work with people trying to buy a house, and segments where they scratch their head over home renovations. It became obvious that the 'home flipper' buying a re-po home at an auction and then going through the discovery process of unseen problems in the renovation process was a "set up scene". Should they have been required to disclose that?

And this morning I awaken to messages that specify the give us the job description of our Congress. Since this is a mud-wrestle involving some folks who support Talk Radio as we know it, and Talk Radio as we know it is highly supportive of the idea that government is not capable of guiding the economy, is not tasked with guiding our economy, the free market is "god" in this area: We have a message proclaiming that Congress has something more important to do than worry about Talk Radio... they MUST solve unemployment?

Oh? I thought only the free enterprise system could or should do that.

We are a really diverse group arent we! (Sorry, I know that diversity is a dirty word in the Talk Radio world, but it just seemed to fit so well.) ::)

What a classic soup recipe this thread has developed.
And this morning I awaken to messages that specify the give us the job description of our Congress. Since this is a mud-wrestle involving some folks who support Talk Radio as we know it, and Talk Radio as we know it is highly supportive of the idea that government is not capable of guiding the economy, is not tasked with guiding our economy, the free market is "god" in this area: We have a message proclaiming that Congress has something more important to do than worry about Talk Radio... they MUST solve unemployment?

Oh? I thought only the free enterprise system could or should do that.

We are a really diverse group arent we! (Sorry, I know that diversity is a dirty word in the Talk Radio world, but it just seemed to fit so well.) ::)

Federal income tax policies and Federal regulations (both set into law by Congress) affect free enterprise -- consequently, they also affect employment. Federal income taxation and regulation can promote or hinder private enterprise. I think most people from both sides of the political spectrum agree on that premise, including many conservative talk hosts.

The difference, of course, is which Federal tax and regulatory policies are to be used, and how they are used. Regardless, I think that with the amount of problems this country is presently facing -- economically and otherwise -- having Congress investigate Rush Limbaugh over his three or four daily callers possibly being paid actors would take up time that would be better used for other things.

As one who has actually called a talk show in the past and has gotten on the air, to whom do I complain about not getting that alleged pay, and can I get it with a few years worth of interest?

Ah, but the First Amendment lets us know you are there.

As one who has actually called a talk show in the past and has gotten on the air, to whom do I complain about not getting that alleged pay, and can I get it with a few years worth of interest?

Silkie, If you are interested in becoming a paid caller then apply for the job. If your audition satisfies Premiere Radio Network you will be paid to call Premiere programs including Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and company. You can apply here.

Apply here>>

http://www.premiereradio.com/shows/view/premiere_on_call.html

If hired, please remember your friend who steered you in the right direction. Joshzz :)

The pay these guys claim the callers are making is more than some hosts make. Including me.

And still not a shred of proof. Not a single example of a fake caller has been presented.

The pay these guys claim the callers are making is more than some hosts make. Including me.

And still not a shred of proof. Not a single example of a fake caller has been presented.

Small Market Guy, Not a shred of proof? Premiere Radio Network is hiring people to call talk shows. It's on their website.

This is plainly reality. The ad says they are looking for people to be paid for calling in talk shows. If you can't believe that when it's right on their website there's a disconnect.

Josh: I guess SMG thinks Premiere recruits paid callers but never uses them. Makes no sense but even so, it wouldn't be the first time.

It's said when somebody so slavishly swallows the industry line.

Alex Trebeck is labeled a "Compensated Endorser" in those insurance commercials. But even so, some sort of truth in labeling regulations are needed for any kind of celebrity testimonial - including local jocks who read spots which imply the jock uses and likes the product.

Heck, I'd like to see all broadcast rules and regs rolled back 30 years - back to when people actually listened and stations actually made money, back before Bain bean counters took over.

Hmmm...roll back regulation 30 years? That takes us to 1983, the year the FCC issued Docket 80-90, and over-licensed the FM spectrum.

The fact is you can't roll back time. And if you only changed broadcast regulation, it wouldn't change the circumstances and environment that existed at the time. Reagan was in the White House, de-regulation was hitting other businesses besides broadcasting, and music was becoming more portable and available directly without radio. I'm pretty sure radio would have ended up exactly where we are now regardless of federal regulations.

Small Market Guy, Not a shred of proof? Premiere Radio Network is hiring people to call talk shows. It's on their website.

This is plainly reality. The ad says they are looking for people to be paid for calling in talk shows. If you can't believe that when it's right on their website there's a disconnect.

They hire comics and actors to call morning shows. That's how Larry the Cable Guy got started. This is well known to anyone who actually knows something about radio. If political talk shows are using these callers, SHOW ME ONE EXAMPLE OF SUCH A CALL.

It's time you and your little racist troll friend step up and prove what you're claiming.

Hmmm...roll back regulation 30 years? That takes us to 1983, the year the FCC issued Docket 80-90, and over-licensed the FM spectrum.

The fact is you can't roll back time. And if you only changed broadcast regulation, it wouldn't change the circumstances and environment that existed at the time. Reagan was in the White House, de-regulation was hitting other businesses besides broadcasting, and music was becoming more portable and available directly without radio. I'm pretty sure radio would have ended up exactly where we are now regardless of federal regulations.

Take me back to the late sixties and early seventies. I was a young lad then but radio was king. Even during the early eighties it was exciting. Most stations had local morning shows and Jerry Wells was the king of all in Philadelphia even beating out the local WMMR favorite. We were recently honored to have Jerry emcee a concert on behalf of our radio station network. We're looking forward to giving him more opportunity to grow with the LIFT FM Radio Network.

Regarding professional callers to talk shows: Sometime ago we started a new entity within LIFT FM to compete with Premiere Radio Networks, called AZ Professional Callers.

This is an subsidiary of LIFT FM.

Our promotion: Our professional voice actors are trained to generate excitement and spark interest from potential sponsors and listeners. The bottom line is, more sponsors, more callers, and more listeners means more revenue.

No more dead air! No more waiting on ill-prepared callers!

We say Think Big! Give a giant boost to your weekly show and to your financial future!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom