• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ideas for New Channels

Here's ideas for two new channels...

1. Air Check Radio -

2. Tech.TV - Audio from Leo Laporte's popular online channel...

Two good suggestions!

(Although I would prefer not to have TV audio as a channel..maybe a home grown "The Tech Channel" channel?)

I'd like to propose a Middle of the Road music channel similar to the standards format that WSAI 1530 Cincinnati was doing before they went Oldies. Siuiusly Sinatra just doesn't do it for me. The selections are just too narrow and limited.
Agreed.

I don't recall whether WSAI did this, but I wouldn't want to include artists such as The Carpenters and Neil Diamond, since we really should have a channel that does true "standards". But a channel with the newer soft pop artists that aren't standards is certainly needed. "Movin' Easy" did this but for some odd reason Sirius thought this was "easy" when only XM's "Escape" is truly easy. After the merger there was an attempt to add Movin' Easy material but too many people protested. And with good reason.

If you wanted to do a standards channel that mixed the two approaches, someone really should look into the playlist of WAVO Charlotte, NC. There are a lot of songs I never heard of and even performances of well-known songs that aren't the familiar ones. Before the merger Sirius and XM took this approach but now they seem to only do what is safe.

Agreed.

I don't recall whether WSAI did this, but I wouldn't want to include artists such as The Carpenters and Neil Diamond, since we really should have a channel that does true "standards". But a channel with the newer soft pop artists that aren't standards is certainly needed. "Movin' Easy" did this but for some odd reason Sirius thought this was "easy" when only XM's "Escape" is truly easy. After the merger there was an attempt to add Movin' Easy material but too many people protested. And with good reason.

If you wanted to do a standards channel that mixed the two approaches, someone really should look into the playlist of WAVO Charlotte, NC. There are a lot of songs I never heard of and even performances of well-known songs that aren't the familiar ones. Before the merger Sirius and XM took this approach but now they seem to only do what is safe.

Lee Abrams -- perhaps attempting to atone for killing free-form rock radio with his Superstars format-in-a-can in the '70s -- took XM music programming in all sorts of weird directions before leaving for the newspaper business (and we know how that worked out). Deep playlists, people reading liners in foreign accents just because Lee found their voices "interesting," channels devoted to Latin jazz and novelty songs. Sirius was never that adventurous. It always seemed more like a large cluster of New York City stations (with voicetracking instead of live talent) than anything tailored to a bunch of niche audiences scattered across the country. It still does and its New York biases show in just about everything it does -- from Cousin Brucie's twice-weekly show to a permanent Springsteen channel to a Billy Joel takeover of '40s on 4, to the endless series of Town Halls. concerts and other events held in New York that listeners can win tickets for, but have to pay their own way to New York!

How about a channel devoted to farm/ag news and programming? I wonder if there is such a thing on Sirius/XM. Something similar to KFRM 550 in Salina, or KRVN 880 in Lexington NE. And in evenings/overnights, a mix of country and classic country. I think the farmers and mid-america residents would like this one.
Or how about a WSIX return? I remember WSIX was on XM for years.

-crainbebo

How about a channel devoted to farm/ag news and programming? I wonder if there is such a thing on Sirius/XM. Something similar to KFRM 550 in Salina, or KRVN 880 in Lexington NE. And in evenings/overnights, a mix of country and classic country. I think the farmers and mid-america residents would like this one.
Or how about a WSIX return? I remember WSIX was on XM for years.

-crainbebo

SXM replaced Book Radio (audio books) with Rural Radio a while back. It's totally outsourced, a production of the RFD-TV folks, and consists of farm news and talk plus live rodeo coverage and a bunch of weekend specialty shows. A lot of it is television-on-radio, which doesn't always sound great, and there's hardly any music offered. No channels mix current and classic country overnight the way AM stations used to back in the day. SXM's country channels are rigidly compartmentalized, so much so that if you like, say, Eddie Rabbitt, you have to listen to Willie's Roadhouse for his earlier hits and Prime Country for his later ones!

I think Sirius/XM should launch an MOR pop music channel similar to the music format 1170 KLOK in San Jose programmed in the 1970's. I would replace the KIIS-FM simulcast with any MOR music channel! I'd rather listen to KIIS via IHeart Radio and then listen to any new MOR channel if Sirius/XM decides to take that route.

Last edited:
I also think Sirius/XM should launch a true Classic Rock channel similar of that of 96.9 The Eagle in Sacramento and 104.1 The Hawk in Modesto.

Remove 2 classic rock channels a lot of them there playlist overlap

Combine E Street Radio And Underground Garage

Add another reggae channel

Remove The heat

Add a Urban Classic Rap Hiphop R&B Soul Funk Reggae channel playing stuff from 1975 to 2002

Only need 3 country channels maybe combine 2

Combine a few of the sports channels you do not need 50 10 to 20 would be enough

Increase the audio a lot of the classic rock tracks sound like they are in mono or 80kbs they should be 160kbps

I don't know why they continue to have a Pearl Jam channel. How about using that channel for the artists channel? It would have made more sense to put the Billy Joel channel there instead of 40s on 4.

Keep The Highway as new country
Move Prime Country from 80-90's to 70's-today with a heavy focus on 80's-90's
Keep Willie's Roadhouse Classic Country, but rebrand it.
Keep Bluegrass Junction
Eliminate Y2K Country
Eliminate Outlaw Country
Revive X-Country, the old Alternative-Country format on XM
Launch a new Indie Country channel, featuring all independent label and unsigned artist content.

I don't know why they continue to have a Pearl Jam channel. How about using that channel for the artists channel? It would have made more sense to put the Billy Joel channel there instead of 40s on 4.

I'm pretty sure all single-artist channels pay their way onto the satellites. Obviously, Pearl Jam and their label and management are willing to make a longterm deal with SXM that allows SXM to actually make money off a noncommercial channel, which is why niche channels are always the one that get dropped. It's difficult to monetize a channel that research shows is only being listened to by less than 7.500 subscribers at any one time. It doesn't matter whether ANYONE listens to Pearl Jam Radio; it's basically a Pearl Jam infomercial, pure profit for SXM.

A Christian rock channel was brought up in other posts and I would definitely agree with that. XM had The Torch at one time, but sacrificed it to create the Southern Gospel channel, and I think The Revolution on Sirius was dropped before the merger, along with all their other Christian channels.

It looks like with as many overlapping channels that were dropped after the merger that one of them could have been used to bring back Christian rock. As it stands there are 2 Catholic channels (EWTN and Catholic Talk), 3 Protestant channels (Southern Gospel, Black Gospel, and talk) all operated by Salem, and Joel Osteen's channel. (Does that still exist or was that just temporary?)

I can't help but wonder if Salem is being limited to the 3 channels they have or if they're intentionally keeping a Christian rock channel off of SiriusXM. It looks like SiriusXM could at least carry WAY-FM or Air 1, which would give them a larger presence nationwide, unless they have an exclusive deal with Salem.

A Christian rock channel was brought up in other posts and I would definitely agree with that. XM had The Torch at one time, but sacrificed it to create the Southern Gospel channel, and I think The Revolution on Sirius was dropped before the merger, along with all their other Christian channels.

It looks like with as many overlapping channels that were dropped after the merger that one of them could have been used to bring back Christian rock. As it stands there are 2 Catholic channels (EWTN and Catholic Talk), 3 Protestant channels (Southern Gospel, Black Gospel, and talk) all operated by Salem, and Joel Osteen's channel. (Does that still exist or was that just temporary?)

I can't help but wonder if Salem is being limited to the 3 channels they have or if they're intentionally keeping a Christian rock channel off of SiriusXM. It looks like SiriusXM could at least carry WAY-FM or Air 1, which would give them a larger presence nationwide, unless they have an exclusive deal with Salem.

I didn't know EnLighten was a Salem channel. It wasn't when it was added to the lineup. When did Salem take over?
As for Osteen, his channel hasn't started yet. There's still a loop running on the channel and the screen display reads "coming this fall."

There would be no advantage to adding Air 1 or K-Love to SiriusXM for EMF.

If people are already paying for the service, they won't feel they need to donate, which is where EMF's revenues come from (nicely tax exempt, and free from any localism requirements.)

If they have all those Christian channels, why not one with GOOD Christian music?

I recall Sirius or XM or both airing the programming of actual radio stations. WMUU isn't one any more, and the Christian music is limited to nights and Sundays, but they used to air full-time Christian music online. Now the former FM station is online with fewer commercials. Even that would be worthwhile, though it DOES come with preaching.

How about these ideas:

1. Cinderella brings you all the business news you need when you need it...will not be heard today!
2. A Celtic music channel
3. J-Pop and anime music!
4. 24 hours of world music from around the world

How about "K-LOVE" and "Air 1"? How about a "KAWZ CSN International" preaching channel or "American Family Radio"? No need for 400 translators!!

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom