• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ideas for New Channels

Here's ideas for two new channels...

1. Air Check Radio - Non-Stop airchecks from Boss Radio era... If they can have a channel of old-time radio shows, why not something a couple of decades newer.

2. Tech.TV - Audio from Leo Laporte's popular online channel... Would love to be able to listen to their great shows while driving, without having to download.

Thoughts?

1 no...I'd like it but I think it would only interest a very small audience.

2 yes, I'd like that and it might be of interest to a mass audience.

I'd like to propose a Middle of the Road music channel similar to the standards format that WSAI 1530 Cincinnati was doing before they went Oldies. Siuiusly Sinatra just doesn't do it for me. The selections are just too narrow and limited.

I'd like to propose a Middle of the Road music channel similar to the standards format that WSAI 1530 Cincinnati was doing before they went Oldies. Siuiusly Sinatra just doesn't do it for me. The selections are just too narrow and limited.

The content of most channels targeting any time in the past seem to fall into one of two categories. Those like Sinatra, Elvis Radio, Greatful Dead, etc. are extremely narrowly defined. Others try to target a vaguely defined wide audience and don't necessarily program to match their description - 50's on 5, or 60's on 6 are described by SiriusXM as "Pop Hits" channels, when they are really "rock hits" channels, with occasional light pop or folk selections. That's fine, but they seem to be afraid to call them 50's Rock or 60's Rock.

A broad middle-of-the-the-road channel of pop, folk, and instrumental hits of the 50's thru the 70's would have much wider appeal than Sinatra, Elvis, etc. It would also cover some of what was lost in the removal of channels like The Village, Cinemagic, etc.

Okay, how about a Ted channel (www.ted.com/)?

More programming targeted towards self-improvement... helping business owners...

Maybe even a religious channel with great sermons. There are lots of great pastors all over the country with podcasts of their sermons. Very inspirational stuff.

I would like a deep pop channel that plays all of the top 40 hits from 1965-1989, with all of the songs getting equal airtime.

superfan said:
I would like a deep pop channel that plays all of the top 40 hits from 1965-1989, with all of the songs getting equal airtime.

I would like that too, but the consultant wouldn't allow it ;D

luperm said:
Bring back Super Shuffle... ;D

Wow I remember that one, Sirius vacation was another good one too.

ROBGv1 said:
Combine Howard 100/101 with Opie and Anthony.

Howard would never let that happen. He hates them as well as I.

I don't own a satellite radio. However, I have had an opportunity to channel surf and listen to some of the different channels, as my mom has a satellite radio in her car.

The Pulse seems to have a bit of a rock lean. So, if I could add a new channel, I would either add a Rhythmic AC channel or a "1990's to now" pop channel that is louder than the Blend but doesn't have a rock lean.

Other ideas for new channels...

A shuffle/variety hits channel.

A channel for Mexican music could be added and available on all radios too, not just some.

A "vacation" channel that doesn't seem to play songs from just one artist every other song (Jimmy Buffett).

Like other answers before mine said... an oldies channel that doesn't emphasize rock music or only songs from one decade.

A channel for Christian rock and rap.

A multilingual world music type of channel.

A Rhythmic Top 40 channel, for songs that might be too mainstream or too R&B for BPM but not R&B/urban enough for the Heat. Some songs on the pop chart may fall into this category, and yet they don't have their own channel but must share a Hits channel with the rock songs that are also on the pop chart.

A power metal channel, for the epic sounding catchy melodic metal (Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, X Japan, etc).

That's all I got for now. After I submit this post and can't edit it any more, I'm sure I'll think of something even better (I've put some thought into this... always been interested in radio)!

Edit: As for talk programming... I'm not sure. I've always been more into music. I guess maybe some more international/foreign language programming. Maybe some more religious channels too... for people who are not Catholic or Evangelical/conservative Protestant.

How about real "Headline News". A short (5-15) minute newscast that repeats kind of like the traffic reports do on Sirius/XM. That way we don't have to put up with all the non-News programming on the "News" channels when all that is needed is the headlines.

I second the vote for a news headlines channel. Maybe even create a wheel like traditional all-news stations: sports at :15 after, business at :25 after, features at :10 and :40 after. Headline summary at :15 and :45 right before sports, etc.

Sadly, I think there is just about 0% chance of this happening.

To improve the audio quality they would have to remove channels. The reverse of this thread. But maybe that is a topic for another thread. But I agree that the sound quality needs to be improved !!!

I agree, XM needs a MOR pop music channel from 55-82.

others wrote: "...A broad middle-of-the-the-road channel of pop, folk, and instrumental hits of the 50's thru the 70's would have much wider appeal than Sinatra, Elvis, etc. It would also cover some of what was lost in the removal of channels like The Village, Cinemagic, etc. ..."

I second the vote for a news headlines channel. Maybe even create a wheel like traditional all-news stations: sports at :15 after, business at :25 after, features at :10 and :40 after. Headline summary at :15 and :45 right before sports, etc.

Sadly, I think there is just about 0% chance of this happening.

Clear Channel was going to program a half-dozen regional news channels on XM back before the Sirius buyout, but abandoned the project. Years ago, a channel like the one you suggest could have been provided by using the Associated Press audio feed. But AP doesn't do full-hour audio anymore, nor does any other American source, which is why we have television-on-radio simulcasts of the three slanted cable news channels, none of which do news anything close to 24/7.

I don't own a satellite radio. However, I have had an opportunity to channel surf and listen to some of the different channels, as my mom has a satellite radio in her car.

The Pulse seems to have a bit of a rock lean. So, if I could add a new channel, I would either add a Rhythmic AC channel or a "1990's to now" pop channel that is louder than the Blend but doesn't have a rock lean.

Other ideas for new channels...

A shuffle/variety hits channel.

A channel for Mexican music could be added and available on all radios too, not just some.

A "vacation" channel that doesn't seem to play songs from just one artist every other song (Jimmy Buffett).

Like other answers before mine said... an oldies channel that doesn't emphasize rock music or only songs from one decade.

A channel for Christian rock and rap.

A multilingual world music type of channel.

A Rhythmic Top 40 channel, for songs that might be too mainstream or too R&B for BPM but not R&B/urban enough for the Heat. Some songs on the pop chart may fall into this category, and yet they don't have their own channel but must share a Hits channel with the rock songs that are also on the pop chart.

A power metal channel, for the epic sounding catchy melodic metal (Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, X Japan, etc).

That's all I got for now. After I submit this post and can't edit it any more, I'm sure I'll think of something even better (I've put some thought into this... always been interested in radio)!

Edit: As for talk programming... I'm not sure. I've always been more into music. I guess maybe some more international/foreign language programming. Maybe some more religious channels too... for people who are not Catholic or Evangelical/conservative Protestant.

I have wanted a Christian rock channel for years and a news channel like u said

How about a christmas channel???

I have wanted a Christian rock channel for years and a news channel like u said

How about a christmas channel???

Sirius tried a Christian rock channel a few years ago called Revolution. I thought it was pretty good. They played allot of crossover songs from both Christian and secular artists. But is was only temporary and went away after about 6 months. As for Christmas, if you have their internet / smartphone service, Holly is running year round there.
And to reply an earlier thread, Sirius once had a "vacation" channel called Sirius Vacation, but that was dropped when Radio Margaritaville was added.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom