• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Political Talk Dying - Will conversational talk prevail in syndication?

joshzz

Star Participant
It appears throughout the country, nationally syndicated political talk is dying. One of the big problems is that there is a lack of real conversation regarding the issues. The host such as Limbaugh goes through his rant and is followed by callers that just happen to always agree with him. Ed McMahon types as it were.

The ratings don't lie. Philadelphia is dropping Limbaugh and Hannity altogether.

NJ 101.5 FM (New Jersey) offers more upbeat conversational talk about issues that matter to everyone. The hosts are generally not hard-headed and if you disagree with them, you certainly can voice your opinion without having the host go ballistic on you, Hannity Style. They may discuss politics but it's only a very small part of their topic list. They also have far better ratings and much better demographics than syndicated political talkers.

My question is why doesn't Premiere Radio Networks offer such a program and abandon the Mean Ole People talk format?

Josh: Do you get out and mix with people. Not just your close little click... but various gatherings of people.

Have you tried to have conversation today with real live people who are not you usual friends. Have you tried to have intelligent conversation beyond sports?

I don't know whether Talk Radio as we have known it now for 25 years has shaped and bent our society.... or if our society has made it loud and clear to radio: If you're gonna talk, and if we're gonna listen, you've got to get down-and-dirty, rowdy, name-calling, insulting, make me feel good about my weird political beliefs, make me feel better than all those other dumb clucks to adhere to the trashy side of the political spectrum.

I'm a "congenital conversationalist". (One of my children once proclaimed: "My Dad will have a conversation with a fireplug if he can find one that can talk." ) But it is getting hard to walk into a convenience store, pour a cup of coffee, and try to have conversation with the person behind the counter. Within two sentences they will ask you to affirm their bent-up political prejudices. In days gone buy we would sit in Sunday morning Bible classes and in addition to reading and learning the content, have a discussion about change in behavior to attach ourselves to the teaching we were studying. That is getting hard to do because you end up with a political riot on your hands before the class time is over. You can go to a wake or a funeral these days and end up in a political shouting match.

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

There is probably nothing I would rather do next Monday morning that to walk into a radio studio somewhere, crack the mic, and open up the room and the phone lines for good old-fashioned conversation and observations. But I can't do that. I don't own any asbestos underwear.

So I get syndicated, and I don't open up the phones. I just monologue.... but I don't skin-and-take-the-hide off of anyone? Will anyone listen?

josh said:
It appears throughout the country, nationally syndicated political talk is dying.

If you say this long enough, maybe one day it will be true. The NJ101 format has been tried elsewhere. It fails almost every single time. The only successful offshoot is Delaware 105.9.

There's plenty of room for Hot Talk along with traditional talk radio. If Hot Talk makes a resurgence, WHICH I HOPE IT DOES, it'll be at the expense of music stations on FM.

The NJ101.5 style format requires investment and development of local talent - and the patience to see it grow.

I don't think stations like NJ 101.5 would be launched in today's climate. It's a product of its time and circumstance, and while I'm glad they stayed with the format, expecting a new launch in that style wouldn't fit the priorities of most of today's companies. And I say that as someone who'd love to see more diverse, localized talk product developed.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
Josh: Do you get out and mix with people. Not just your close little click... but various gatherings of people.

I think you mean "clique." Pronounced "kleek."

FredLeonard said:

That may be the case for you sophisticated folks in the larger cities.

Out here in the hollows and hills of Appalachia, it's a word we learned from Baptist preachers who time and time again told us he didn't want people forming little clicks within the church. I assume Episcopalians and maybe some UCC churches would have cliques. ::)

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
FredLeonard said:

Out here in the hollows and hills of Appalachia, it's a word we learned from Baptist preachers who time and time again told us he didn't want people forming little clicks within the church. I assume Episcopalians and maybe some UCC churches would have cliques. ::)

Catholic churches also have clicks during the mass, so people know when to sit, stand or kneel.

FredLeonard said:
Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
FredLeonard said:

Catholic churches also have clicks during the mass, so people know when to sit, stand or kneel.

So, do right wing churches use dog-whistles for a similar purpose.... which brings us back to Talk Radio, the copyright holder for political dog-whistle phrases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom