• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Charlotte HD Radio Signals

One week since 95.1 HD Radio installation and it is still down. So I assume they are still waiting on more technical upgrades etc. I was told from a source they had installed an ERI signal combiner for the HD a week ago, but the local engineer still has more techical work to do to be fully operational.

I got the impression that the HD Transmission was a ''test run'' since it was so brief and since the signal didn't make it out as far as it normally does. Sounds like what you heard would back that theory up. Steve.

One week since 95.1 HD Radio installation and it is still down. So I assume they are still waiting on more technical upgrades etc. I was told from a source they had installed an ERI signal combiner for the HD a week ago, but the local engineer still has more techical work to do to be fully operational.

WSOC-FM 103.7 began broadcasting an HD Radio signal this afternoon. Don't know if it is temporary or still working on it. But so far I cannot get a lock at my location in Greenville, SC, probably due to distance. And I do have a good Winegard 6000 FM antenna in the attic. But perhaps they are not at full power yet. However, I do get a lock on the Gaston County HD signals with rabbit ears, as they are closer in distance to my location. Hopefully they will also get the 95.1 HD working again and increase to full power. Meanwhile, I may try adding a distribution amp in the line and see if that helps. But that is more tricky with digital radio, as the signal/noise ratio must be properly balanced or it will make things worse.

Yes, I can pick it up here. I moved my Tuner and Antenna into a different bedroom which should favor the Triad and not GSP. My Tuner has locked onto WTQR-HD1 for the past 2 days now. They have Classic Country on HD2. I was also able to lock onto 98.9 WSPA-HD in the back room. Found Newstalk (WORD) on 98.9-HD2. This one surprised me. I noticed the tinny audio isn't present on this station now, so this could have something to do with my setup at the other end of the house. With regards to WSOC-HD, I can lock onto HD1. They don't have any other sub-carriers (channels) at the moment and I'm not sure what they have planned or if this is just a ''test-run'' for WSOC. Glad to hear they are upgrading though. PS: Just lost the feed to 104.1 HD2. Only getting 2 bars this evening so a better antenna might still be in order. Steve.

The Winegard 6000 is a good FM antenna for the attic. Not too large, but the elements do extend a bit. And I think Antennas Direct and MCM sell even more compact versions of FM antennas. I connected my FM antenna with my TV antenna and Kitztech 100 preamp, using a UHF/VHF signal joiner from Radioshack. It works great, but the coax length for the FM antenna is 15ft before the amp. Otherwise it overloads certain FM signals and the HD Radio signals are blocked out. I get all of the Dallas area HD signals with a solid lock, but so far WSOC 103.7-FM has the HD blinking but does not lock on except at night. Probably due to further distance unless they can increase power.

The V-101.9 HD signal has been down due to technical difficulties. Apparently they are working on it, as well as 95.1. Hopefully the HD will be working again for these 2 CBS stations as the technical issues are corrected.

UPDATE: V-101.9 and Kiss 95.1 are now broadcasting an HD Radio signal again. And 95.1 seems to have a strong HD signal, but not sure if they are at full power. But they still need to correct the problem of analog fall back when the HD drops out. Dead air is not good. And there is currently no radio data with playlist info during the HD, but it worked on the analog. So they still have a few technical issues to work out. But the signal seems good as I am locking in with rabbit ears in Greenville, SC.

I noticed that WSOC-FM was running HD. I thought they couldn't due to the high TPO. Did something change?

I have the Sangean HDT-1 and it can't decode the text on WLNK, the Clear Channel and CBS stations. It can however decode the text used on WDAV, WFAE, and the Radio One stations. They must be using older software.

The formats have flipped around a bit on the HD-2 channels. I wouldn't make a heavy investment in HD radios. Then again if you're looking for anything but a car radio HD capable radios are scarce.

Yea finding a home HD Radio receiver is now difficult. But their are several HD car radio versions available at Best Buy. There is a good Kenwood model for $99, and the Pioneer for $119. Fortunately I bought some Sony, Sangean, and Accurian HD home receivers when they were available. The Sonys have real good reception, and the radio data works on all channels that send it, including 107.9.

And the HD appears to be down again today on 95.1, and the analog seems to be reduced power. I guess they are still working on technical issues, hopefully the radio data and analog fall back. I guess it may be a big project to add HD to a full power analog system. Hopefully they will get it back up and running soon and at full power.

About a week later and it appears the HD is still down on 95.1, and possibly 103.7 as well. Apparently still working on technical issues. And perhaps somebody can explain if 103.7 has a stronger transmitter than some of the other channels? I get good reception from 95.1, 96.1, and 107.9, as expected, from the tall Dallas towers which are closer to my location in Greenville, SC. But I can surprisingly get a strong signal from 103.7 with just rabbit ears, and they transmit from a further location in east Charlotte.

Noticed the other night here by the beach in South Carolina WLNK was showing on the display but was still hearing the local station Gator 107.9 playing country music. It was the HD feed of WLNK that came in for a few seconds at different times. But just weird that it would come in over the local WGTR.

Last edited:
Once you enter the Columbia area on 77 or 26, then the Gator 107.9 signal begins to interfere with WLNK. Get south of Columbia, and the Gator signal takes over. I am not sure when the Gator signal originated on 107.9, but WLNK modified their antenna pattern in 2005 with more of a null to the west, and a strong signal toward Hwy. 74 east in NC. Not sure if any changes were influenced by Gator 107.9, as WLNK always dropped out around Columbia.

Once you enter the Columbia area on 77 or 26, then the Gator 107.9 signal begins to interfere with WLNK. Get south of Columbia, and the Gator signal takes over. I am not sure when the Gator signal originated on 107.9, but WLNK modified their antenna pattern in 2005 with more of a null to the west, and a strong signal toward Hwy. 74 east in NC. Not sure if any changes were influenced by Gator 107.9, as WLNK always dropped out around Columbia.
Gator signed on in 1993.

I would think Rewind from Hilton Head/Savannah would reach that area if you couldn't pick up WLNK.

Gator signed on in 1993.

I would think Rewind from Hilton Head/Savannah would reach that area if you couldn't pick up WLNK.

Well when you get near Columbia, a 107.9 signal from the coast begins to interfere with WLNK. Not sure which one it is.

About a week later and it appears the HD is still down on 95.1, and possibly 103.7 as well. Apparently still working on technical issues. And perhaps somebody can explain if 103.7 has a stronger transmitter than some of the other channels? I get good reception from 95.1, 96.1, and 107.9, as expected, from the tall Dallas towers which are closer to my location in Greenville, SC. But I can surprisingly get a strong signal from 103.7 with just rabbit ears, and they transmit from a further location in east Charlotte.
So does 103.7 have a stronger transmitter than some of the other stations? They appear to have a very strong signal, and they are not even on one of the taller Dallas towers ... Meanwhile, I have heard they were indeed some technical issues with the HD on 95.1 and 103.7. And it looks like it will possibly be the first week of September before it is up and running again.

So does 103.7 have a stronger transmitter than some of the other stations? They appear to have a very strong signal, and they are not even on one of the taller Dallas towers ... Meanwhile, I have heard they were indeed some technical issues with the HD on 95.1 and 103.7. And it looks like it will possibly be the first week of September before it is up and running again.
The WSOC-TV tower, which is likely where they broadcast from, is not one of the taller towers in the area. It is farther east and i have gotten very good results from the station in the Bennettsville area. Not that I want to. I want REAL country.

The WSOC-TV tower, which is likely where they broadcast from, is not one of the taller towers in the area. It is farther east and i have gotten very good results from the station in the Bennettsville area. Not that I want to. I want REAL country.

103.7 and 104.7 are on the old WCNC-TV tower off Hood Rd. They moved 103.7 off the WSOC-TV tower not long after it was traded off to EZ Communications.

103.7's TPO is around 52 KW. This is due to a few factors. One is gain of the antenna and the other is loss in the transmission line. Antenna gain is the main factor. Many engineers feel that more TPO and less gain in the antenna works better. I don't think you can argue that.

t123

Have not heard a recent update on the HD Radio for 95.1 or 103.7. But something supposedly malfunctioned at the initial installation back in the summer, and replacement parts were needed. But don't know when that will happen. But 107.9 HD continues to come in good since they boosted their power, as I receive them reliably in Greenville, SC to the west. But I would be curious how far to the east their HD can now be received, since their antenna pattern is now optimized more in that direction.

They have apparently increased the digital power on WBT 99.3HD, and improved the overall analog and HD signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom