• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings: July 2013

pjc1961

Star Participant
Chicago: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb005

Overall age 6+ publicly released data for subscribing stations for the July 2013 survey period covering Thu. 6/20/13-Wed. 7/17/13.
Next survey period will be for August 2013 (covering Thu. 7/18/13-Wed. 8/14/13) with the data release date being Tue. 9/3/13 (delayed one day due to Labor Day holiday).

AllAccess PPM Ratings Analysis with demo breakouts for July 2013 (scroll down for Chicago):
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-presents-exclusive-july-ppm-

Look what has happened to a long time heritage radio station WLS AM!! And everyone coments on WLS-FM. They are holding their own, even with the change in music. I wonder if the AM is feeling the effects of no Don Wade and Roma!!

radioaircheck said:
Look what has happened to a long time heritage radio station WLS AM!! And everyone coments on WLS-FM. They are holding their own, even with the change in music. I wonder if the AM is feeling the effects of no Don Wade and Roma!!

WLS-AM used to be one of the highest rated stations in Chicago! Then Cumulus took over.

RayInChicago said:
radioaircheck said:

WLS-AM used to be one of the highest rated stations in Chicago! Then Cumulus took over.

Cumulus is amazing. They seem to have a special talent to take successful stations and ruin them.

radioman148 said:
Cumulus is amazing. They seem to have a special talent to take successful stations and ruin them.

Irrespective of one's opinion of Cumulus and the cloud people, the damage to WLS (AM) was done by Farid, Citadel and Associates. In fact, that crew pretty much did in some of the other legendary AM stations from the already long-in-the-tooth ABC portfolio, the most notorious being KGO and KABC.

Please someone send WLS-AM 890 and WIQI 101.1 FM a life jacket. They're drowning and sinking like the Titantic.
I grew up listening to WLS and would have gone crazy without them in the 70's and 80's. Of course they played music then, but I don't want them to go down the drain. Listened to Q-101 a lot in the 80's and early 90's 'til I moved to Nashville (now in NJ) ..... but who cares about me ...just save the stations! Get new management or change formats. They need to stop acting like rim-shots (and maybe some even have higher ratings) ...remember, guys, you're in the 3rd largest city in the country. Get your ____ together! :eek:

^ Well, Merlin just sold their station in Philly and they sold off in NY last October. Maybe they're not doing anything with 101.1 because they're holding it until they can sell out of Chicago. Otherwise, they need to bump 87.7 up to the better 101.1 signal.

The last time WLS-AM had ratings like that was twenty-five years ago when the decision was made to change from music to talk.

roadrunner said:
Please someone send WLS-AM 890 and WIQI 101.1 FM a life jacket. They're drowning and sinking like the Titantic.
I grew up listening to WLS and would have gone crazy without them in the 70's and 80's. Of course they played music then, but I don't want them to go down the drain. Listened to Q-101 a lot in the 80's and early 90's 'til I moved to Nashville (now in NJ) ..... but who cares about me ...just save the stations! Get new management or change formats. They need to stop acting like rim-shots (and maybe some even have higher ratings) ...remember, guys, you're in the 3rd largest city in the country. Get your ____ together! :eek:

Hate to tell you this, but once you've destroyed an AM station (even a 50,000 watter like WLS), it's very hard, almost impossible to resurrect them. The last time I can recall seeing it done was when Randy Michaels (sorry, I know you don't like him, Chi-town) took a 5 share 12 plus WLW and rebuilt it. Unfortunately, though, that was almost 30 years ago.

Can WLS be rebuilt? Perhaps...though I have some doubts. AM radio is not in good shape these days. Not when you accept the fact that few people under the age of 50 even sample it anymore...

roadrunner said:

Well they should just GO BACK TO MUSIC like they were in the 70s!!

Im sure they MAY still have all the records they played then... WOULDNT IT BE GRAND IF THEY STARTED PLAYING THE GOOD SOUNDS OF ANALOGUE AGAIN??

Yes it sure would!!!!!!!!! (We are surrounded by all this digital crap now .... IT WOULD BE NICE HEARING SOME GOOD STUFF AGAIN ON RADIO!)

Re:  

The Dude said:
roadrunner said:

Well they should just GO BACK TO MUSIC like they were in the 70s!!

Im sure they MAY still have all the records they played then... WOULDNT IT BE GRAND IF THEY STARTED PLAYING THE GOOD SOUNDS OF ANALOGUE AGAIN??

Yes it sure would!!!!!!!!! (We are surrounded by all this digital crap now .... IT WOULD BE NICE HEARING SOME GOOD STUFF AGAIN ON RADIO!)

WIQI *is* a music station, grandpa. And why should radio stations program to 70-year-olds.

Show me where ANY AM radio station that went from talk to music has succeeded with listeners, or with advertisers...(here's a hint: it's never happened)

Yes, if WLS went back to oldies, there would be a brief groundswell of nostalgia that would bump the ratings temporarily...but advertisers would avoid it, due to the older demos the station would get.

Play new music? Forget it. Young people will not switch from FM to AM. Even if its WLS...

Oh yeah, radio stations don't play "records" anymore...

if you dig through the numbers nationally, 76% of the people that do listen to radio, do NOT listen to AM. The audience AM has is loyal (but most also listen to FM), and listens longer.

This is what what Jason Roberts said holds so true,,if you have a loyal audience you can keep them, but building an audience on AM is extremely hard today.

The reason many AM's are adding translators isn't so the current audience can listen on FM, its because there are just too many people (remember, 76% of radio listeners) that will never be exposed to a station thats just on AM,,,and you have to replace listeners that move, die or change what they want to listen to just to keep your current listeners

IMHO 890 WLS (and a bunch of other stations) that have gone the conservative talk show route will rebound next election cycle. Kind of like the all Christmas Stations only every other year cycles rather than the 5 to 7 weeks before Christmas. After the last election a lot of folks (me included) are burned out on constantly hearing of the evils of the other political party.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom