OIRT FM Band
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OIRT FM Band

OIRT FM Band

I'm reading on the Wiki about the FM Band in other countries, The one I'm most in too is the OIRT Band 65.8 to 74 MHz

Does Russia still uses it, I read it was going to be discontinued or was it about other counties..

Can a TV Sound Radio with FM/TV1 be like a OIRT FM Radio that tunes down to 54..Making it 54-108 MHz

I have like 3 TV Sound Radios, I'm just curious about it

Re: OIRT FM Band

The radios with tv sound are set to an exact frequency. For example: Channel 4 was 71.77. If there is a station actually broadcasting at that frequency or say 71.8 then you'd hear it. The G8 can tune down to those frequencies, and up until they shut off analogue tv here in Ottawa, I kept mine set to pick up those stations as I could listen to the national news when walking home from work from CBC tv on Channel 4.

So I can't use the TV sound for the US Radio's in like Japan?

If the frequency used for tv sound matches a station in the OIRT band, then you can use it to hear that station.

If you were using a TV with an knob that can tune between channels then you should be able to use it for OIRT audio, but the audio may sound over modulated since NTSC audio is lower in volume than regular FM.

My Tecsun PL-390 covers the OIRT band and will tune down to 64Mhz.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Tecsun PL-390

All the transistor radios I've seen that tune the former VHF TV bands tune the them just like you tune any other band on the radio.

But not all radios that tune the TV band tune straight across. The CC radio and the CC radio plus were tuned to speceific frequencies...each marked channel(s) 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. when you tuned from one to the other, it just went up by channel.

Quote Originally Posted by mimo View Post
    But not all radios that tune the TV band tune straight across. The CC radio and the CC radio plus were tuned to speceific frequencies...each marked channel(s) 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. when you tuned from one to the other, it just went up by channel.
    I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.

I have a Radio Shack AM-FM-TV1-TV2-VHF PSB radio that tunes through the TV bands (nothing but hiss there now), and knew of other similar Radio Shack models that tuned that way, so the set-channel-TV radio thing was news to me.

It looks like the original poster's best option would be to get one of the digital SW portables that tune down to 76 mhz and lower, like the Tecsun 390 that Spunker88 mentioned, or the Grundig G2 (which I've read will tune down that far).

The G8 also tunes down that far, and it's easy to set.

btw I mean a Analog Tuning TV Sound Radio, Not a Digital one

I got a Kaito KA321 Pocket-Size 10-Band AM/FM Shortwave Radio with DSP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast