• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dave Mason To Be Assistant PD at KRTH

barman

Frequent Participant
I heard that Dave Mason is leaving The Walrus down in San Diego to become the new Assistant PD at KRTH.

SuperRadioFan said:
Agreed always liked Dave. Do you think he'll get an airshift?

I don't know. I've worked with him at two different stations. He was APD at both, doing an excellent job in that capacity, as well as sounding good on the air.

Great Hire!! Dave is one of the hardest working, most talented (and most fun) programmers I have ever worked with!

KTWV got a new APD as well. I hear it's Alexa Gawlista. Word is she comes from CBS Sacramento.

so does this mean K-earth will stay 60's, 70'S and early 80's? or will they update their playlist? if they go with Dave, it sounds like they are doing nothing but improving the 60's, 70'S, and 80's, they already play, am i wrong on this?

Don Barrett sent out an e-mail to announce the hirings of new APDs at KRTH and KTWV. Rick Thomas said this about Dave Mason: “Dave is very familiar with KRTH and L.A. and he understands our competitive landscape and growth mission very well." Can somebody translate that "PD-speak" into English and make a prediction as to how the playlist might change?

LARadioRewind said:
Don Barrett sent out an e-mail to announce the hirings of new APDs at KRTH and KTWV. Rick Thomas said this about Dave Mason: “Dave is very familiar with KRTH and L.A. and he understands our competitive landscape and growth mission very well." Can somebody translate that "PD-speak" into English and make a prediction as to how the playlist might change?

It means Rick worked with him in San Diego and that Dave has listened to KRTH and knows where LA is.

Even I know how to get from San Diego to Los Angeles. You take the same 5 Freeway that Shotgun Tom Kelly goes back and forth on. :D

36james said:
so does this mean K-earth will stay 60's, 70'S and early 80's? or will they update their playlist? if they go with Dave, it sounds like they are doing nothing but improving the 60's, 70'S, and 80's, they already play, am i wrong on this?

I would look closely at the demographic realities of what it takes to do well in 25-54 in Los Angeles in 2013 and beyond and at the PD's background long before I ever considered that the Assistant PD would cause them to ignore the first two.

michael hagerty said:
I would look closely at the demographic realities of what it takes to do well in 25-54 in Los Angeles in 2013 and beyond and at the PD's background long before I ever considered that the Assistant PD would cause them to ignore the first two.

Yeah, I think this was "give a buddy a gig in LA" more than bringing in a strategic thinker to be APD, which is - what - someone whose job is do the PD's bidding and complete tasks on the PD's "to do list." It gives Rick a loyal ally on staff and that's important if you have been brought in to shake up the status quo and need someone to bounce things off of.

It's cool that Dave gets to add LA to his resume at this late stage in his career (and the pay has to be a lot nicer than doing middays at the Walrus).

In 2007 somebody on another message board started a thread about KRTH. Under my other screen name, I posted the KRTH playlist, complete with years and chart positions for all the trivia freaks. As of January 2011 there were 1087 songs on the list but then most of the pre-1964 songs were dropped. I didn't update the list; you can see it at http://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=88117&start=0

Among the songs that are now being played on KRTH but are not on that list are Super Freak, Throwing It All Away and the Jacksons' Shake Your Body. And yesterday KRTH played Dickey Lee's Laurie. That one was a surprise! As the song says, "Strange things happen in this world." I hope KRTH adds many more of those "oh wow" songs!

In the just-released July PPM ratings, KRTH's audience share rose from 3.7 to 3.8 and the station climbed from seventh to sixth. We've been debating possible changes that KRTH's new PD and APD might make...but, in light of these ratings, is it possible they won't make any changes?

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb003

LARadioRewind said:
In the just-released July PPM ratings, KRTH's audience share rose from 3.7 to 3.8 and the station climbed from seventh to sixth. We've been debating possible changes that KRTH's new PD and APD might make...but, in light of these ratings, is it possible they won't make any changes?

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb003

A tenth of a point increase in the worthless 6+ numbers, Steve.

LARadioRewind said:
In the just-released July PPM ratings, KRTH's audience share rose from 3.7 to 3.8 and the station climbed from seventh to sixth.

Arbitron has a pretty big margin of error so in reality they may have had fewer listeners compared to the previous period.

michael hagerty said:

Within the number of meters, changes of 0.3 to 0.4 on stations in the top quintile of stations is quite normal.

Also worth remembering is that the tight compression of stations at the top is considerable. For example, there are 9 stations between a 4.1 and a 3.4 share, or between 4th and 11th.

So a move of a couple of tenths of a point is meaningless unless it is part of a continual, ongoing trend.

DavidEduardo said:
michael hagerty said:

Within the number of meters, changes of 0.3 to 0.4 on stations in the top quintile of stations is quite normal.

Also worth remembering is that the tight compression of stations at the top is considerable. For example, there are 9 stations between a 4.1 and a 3.4 share, or between 4th and 11th.

So a move of a couple of tenths of a point is meaningless unless it is part of a continual, ongoing trend.

That cannot explain KFI's downturn. It is significant. As I mentioned last month, less stimulating radio has lead to consistently lower ratings. It is also emblematic of the disillusionment in the conservative movement, which is very palpable these days. A lot of these people are not turning the station, they are just turning the radio (and other forms of media) off.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I meant to put this on the July Ratings thread. Sorry for the right turn off of the main discussion.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom