• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why we still need NDB's?

Yes, absolutely. I think too often we as a society drop old reliable technology before our newer technology has all the kinks worked out.

Of course, beacons can be hi-jacked too. I believe it's called meaconing. Such techniques have been used in Iran to crash American drones, and it's been theorized that something like this is what caused the KAL 007 shoot down.

I think we have just found a use for the MW band once it is reclaimed from AM broadcasting. This is a compelling reason to shutdown AM broadcasting. The lower end of AM frequencies is just a natural extension of the current NDB allocations.

There are NDBs that are very close to the AM band. One example is INE 521 in Montana - just 9khz away from 530, where all the TIS stations (and Cuba, and CIAO) are on. Also there's LYQ on 529 in TN which has been caught all over the East and Midwest.

-crainbebo

I think we have just found a use for the MW band once it is reclaimed from AM broadcasting. This is a compelling reason to shutdown AM broadcasting. The lower end of AM frequencies is just a natural extension of the current NDB allocations.

BCB frequencies don't propagate the same as lower medium wave and LW, they are more impacted by atmospherics, less constant so less safe for people relying on them for direction finding.

I don't know if the possibility of GPS spoofing shows a need for NDB's. Aircraft already have a system of VORTAC antennas they use for navigation.

Still, I hate to see the NDB's go away. My guess is they keep them on because they probably don't cost all that much to run.

More and more NDBs are leaving the air....if they are damaged, they are not repaired....Southern Avionics Company (SAC) in Beaumont, TX still builds NDBs but just about all of their sales and service is overseas. GPS is slowly taking over.

That's all great until GPS goes dark, and someday it will. Then let's see how well the flight crews are able to navigate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom