• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Amazing long distance reception sat eve

Saturday Evening.....in the nine oclock hour, driving 275 N in Tampa all Orlando stations were BOOMING in. Not only were most of the stations locking in on a channel scan, but they were locking HD !......(in and out of HD to be fair)

101.1 WJRR was in and out of HD lock on 275 N of I4.........well, it was pretty amazing.......this has happened before but NEVER NEVER so clear. 105.9 Thunder was getting torn up by 105.9 in Orlando, crazy !

Rob

That doesn't qualify as "Amazing Long Distance Reception"... WJRR's coverage map extends almost to Tampa as it is. And the 105.9 in Deland (not Orlando) is much more powerful than the 105.9 in Englewood. The Deland station's coverage map extends to the eastern edge of Tampa.

HadYourPhil said:
That doesn't qualify as "Amazing Long Distance Reception"... WJRR's coverage map extends almost to Tampa as it is. And the 105.9 in Deland (not Orlando) is much more powerful than the 105.9 in Englewood. The Deland station's coverage map extends to the eastern edge of Tampa.
Agreed. Amazing is a few hundred miles. :)

Yeah well......WHAT-EV_A

Normally its nothing but pure static, so to get intermitten HD lock on 275, yes.....that was amazing. I have not seen that happen before

and I wasn't talking about 105.9 in Englewood. I was talking about 105.9 in Tampa

miserable people......lol

To be fair, there was some amazing tropo over the weekend. On the way home from work on Sunday night CC's translators were getting CRUSHED again. I'm not sure which stations were crushing them, but all three translators were getting drowned out on the Bayside Bridge. I also got a good solid copy on WJRR, but as previously noted, that ain't jack. Anyway, I didn't have time to log any stations, as I was in my car dodging traffic... but there were a bunch of "mystery" stations on the dial.

MW DX has been great lately too. I've been listening to WLW, WBT, WSB, WLS, etc crystal clear all night long. Of course those are all big clear channel stations, but this is on a crappy little desk radio, booming in loud and clear. I love it! I hope AM radio goes another 100 years. :)

Cedric said:
To be fair, there was some amazing tropo over the weekend. On the way home from work on Sunday night CC's translators were getting CRUSHED again. I'm not sure which stations were crushing them, but all three translators were getting drowned out on the Bayside Bridge. I also got a good solid copy on WJRR, but as previously noted, that ain't jack. Anyway, I didn't have time to log any stations, as I was in my car dodging traffic... but there were a bunch of "mystery" stations on the dial.

MW DX has been great lately too. I've been listening to WLW, WBT, WSB, WLS, etc crystal clear all night long. Of course those are all big clear channel stations, but this is on a crappy little desk radio, booming in loud and clear. I love it! I hope AM radio goes another 100 years. :)

For those newbies out there: Notice clear channel in this case means no other stations on that frequency. Not Clear Channel as a company.

105.9 in Tampa is a 250 watt translator! I would expect that one to get overrun by other, more powerful stations. Happens all the time!

Cedric, you're fortunate to be further north than I am. Many of those great AM's are overrun by Cubans down here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom