• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Classic Rock Dying?

One more thing, the creation of 'Classic Hits' over the past 10 years or so has reduced a lot of that variety in classic rock. Classic rock is going out of it's way to distinguish itself from classic hits so it's rare a classic rock station will play stuff like Alan Parson's Project, Steely Dan and many of the woodstock artist excluding Hendrix of course.

AAA and Alternative formats kill each other as well because they force each other to remove certain songs from their playlist in attempt to sound apart. I guess commercial alternative is the same way with commercial active rock. Today, most (not all) alternative stations will not touch harder industrial rock like Nine Inch Nails. Active Rock tends to focus more on those artist. Same with Tool; Hell, first time i ever heard of Tool was on Alternative 99X in atlanta. If Tool came out with a new song tomorrow, it may get some airplay on alternative but active rock will own it. Not that Tool can't be considered alternative but Active and Alternative go at lengths to not override each other which kills variety in my opinion.

Another classic rock station dies on Friday -- WCCC Hartford, sold to EMF which will flip it to bird-fed K-Love. All local talent shown the door. Until last year, this was an active rock station.

Another classic rock station dies on Friday -- WCCC Hartford, sold to EMF which will flip it to bird-fed K-Love. All local talent shown the door. Until last year, this was an active rock station.
WCCC going classic is what killed the channel. Even tho it gained ratings the spark was never there that they had when they were Active Rock. The main issue with CCC is that the money dried up. I don't think any format was going to help it.

Today, most (not all) alternative stations will not touch harder industrial rock like Nine Inch Nails.
The Clear Channel alternative station in Charlotte was playing something weird last night so I decided to see if the DJ would identify it. It was a special program, which was one reason i knew there was a DJ. But it was Nine Inch Nails. Now it is true this station has always rocked harder than most so-called "alternative" stations.

I see lots of Alan Parsons Project and Steely Dan titles on Classic Rock playlists.

Classic Hits might play 'Sirius' or "Eye In The Sky" from Alan Parsons but play plenty of Steely Dan titles too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom