• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1650 NOAA?

Anyone know where the nonstop NOAA audio on 1650 is coming from? Tedious details:

1650 (LPR) unidentified, west central Florida; interesting is an unidentified nonstop NOAA Weather Radio here. First noted by the editor in early July, 213, barely audible on both the Courtney Campbell and Howard Frankland bridges (see WQQJ297 log), and weakly around Feather Sound and the High Point area of Pinellas. Unable to confirm which NOAA site is being relayed, but there was a mention of "seas 2-4 feet" and (presumably) state current temperature synopsis, with "Orlando, 89-degrees" heard, so certainly Florida. Not audible in west Tampa, so surely not one of the two FDOT I-275 transmitters. And, only barely audible along the north/central side near the water path Tampa Bay east side of Pinellas County. Thinking this would be one of the three Sunshine Skyway Bridge TIS’s recently listed as activated in the FCC dB, I drove to Ft. DeSoto mid local morning, July 6, 2013. At the east end, with the bridge in view to the SE, only a threshold trace of this. Pointing the Sony ICF-7600GR portable to the NE, a huge carrier was present, which is one of the new WQQJ297 transmitters on I-275, Tampa, the one that airs the quasi-malfunctioning default date and keypad entry instructions on programming access (female compu-voice that appears only every 20 minutes!) via whatever the phone number I could do so with if only I knew the number. So where is this from? Gerry Bishop, driving north on the Suncoast Parkway SR-589 toll just after noon local July 7, 2013, had this peaking around Mile Marker 7, roughly Zephyrhills area to the east if indeed located east of this point. The Suncoast Parkway FDOT transmitter on 1640, located a bit north of here, remains on and with the Turnpike DOT loop, so not that one re-purposed to 1650 with NOAA.

Callsign: WQQJ297 Licensee: Florida, State of Radio Service: Public Safety Pool, Conventional (PW) City: Tallahassee, FL Status: Active Grant Date: 01/04/2013 Expiration: 01/04/2023
Site: 1 Address: HAR-01 I-275 @ Exit 39 City: Tampa, FL County: HILLSBOROUGH Coordinates: 27° 56' 54.0" N, 82° 31' 52.6" W
Frequency: 1.65000000 V
Site: 2 Address: HAR-02 I-275 @ Exit 44 City: Tampa, FL County: HILLSBOROUGH Coordinates: 27° 57' 25.3" N, 82° 27' 45.2" W
Callsign: WQQY809 Licensee: Florida, State of Radio Service: Public Safety Pool, Conventional (PW) City: Tampa, FL Status: Active Grant Date: 03/28/2013 Expiration: 03/28/2023
Site: 1 Address: Skyway Bridge North City: Saint Petersburg, FL County: PINELLAS Coordinates: 27° 40' 0.0" N, 82° 41' 0.0" W
Site: 2 Address: Skyway Bridge South City: Terra Ceia, FL County: MANATEE Coordinates: 27° 35' 0.0" N, 82° 36' 0.0" W
Site: 3 Address: I-275 @ Highway 41 City: Palmetto, FL County: MANATEE Coordinates: 27° 35' 9.0" N, 82° 32' 26.0" W

TerryKay said:
Anyone know where the nonstop NOAA audio on 1650 is coming from? Tedious details:

1650 (LPR) unidentified, west central Florida; interesting is an unidentified nonstop NOAA Weather Radio here. First noted by the editor in early July, 213, barely audible on both the Courtney Campbell and Howard Frankland bridges (see WQQJ297 log), and weakly around Feather Sound and the High Point area of Pinellas. Unable to confirm which NOAA site is being relayed, but there was a mention of "seas 2-4 feet" and (presumably) state current temperature synopsis, with "Orlando, 89-degrees" heard, so certainly Florida. Not audible in west Tampa, so surely not one of the two FDOT I-275 transmitters. And, only barely audible along the north/central side near the water path Tampa Bay east side of Pinellas County. Thinking this would be one of the three Sunshine Skyway Bridge TIS’s recently listed as activated in the FCC dB, I drove to Ft. DeSoto mid local morning, July 6, 2013. At the east end, with the bridge in view to the SE, only a threshold trace of this. Pointing the Sony ICF-7600GR portable to the NE, a huge carrier was present, which is one of the new WQQJ297 transmitters on I-275, Tampa, the one that airs the quasi-malfunctioning default date and keypad entry instructions on programming access (female compu-voice that appears only every 20 minutes!) via whatever the phone number I could do so with if only I knew the number. So where is this from? Gerry Bishop, driving north on the Suncoast Parkway SR-589 toll just after noon local July 7, 2013, had this peaking around Mile Marker 7, roughly Zephyrhills area to the east if indeed located east of this point. The Suncoast Parkway FDOT transmitter on 1640, located a bit north of here, remains on and with the Turnpike DOT loop, so not that one re-purposed to 1650 with NOAA.

I gave it a listen again today but hear nothing. Actually the Suncoast is quite a ways west of Z-hills. So if it is a new 10 watt TIS, it most likely would not be heard in this direction.

The NOAA broadcast on 1650 is from WQQY809 (Skyway), which is running two of its three transmitters as of Wednesday. The north antenna is near MM 13 and the south antenna is near MM 7.5, both of which are just off the northbound 275 on-ramps from each rest area. The site at 275 and 41 is not on the air but I did spot a new wood pole at the interchange that resembles the ones used by the other two sites, but no antenna as of yesterday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom