• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAJZ, 106.5, Llano

bturner

Leading Participant
Leaving town Sunday I checked KAJZ, operating from the frequency they currently hold a CP for. This is the latest move for this FM that has been around at least a few years. In its early days it sounded like a Roy Henderson station. At one point it was Nostalgia (big band, MOYL, etc.) and at one point a 70s Hits. In each instance it was automated and I heard no commercials during these formats. Then it seems a big boy purchased the station, one of the Spanish Language radio groups. Later it became KAJZ.

KAJZ is Smooth Jazz and a well done format. It is constant music with an ID at :60 and :30. I've never heard a commercial on the station the past few years, only a short PSA (my mental clock says it was under 30 seconds). It seems an unusual format for the area although I like it. It seems there are several formats that would gain a larger share that are not being done locally (country and oldies are covered).

I have always suspected the station would move, becoming an Austin station. Now I wonder. Since I think Henderson and a group owner have held the license I always figured it a pawn in a multi-station move-in plan if not a station that would edge their way toward Austin. The more recent moves have not indicated a move toward Austin would happen but it might be possible the station is moving to make way for other stations to move around just as KBEY in Burnet has done over the years. If that is the case, once the moves are made and the cash collected by the licensee will KAJZ go on the block?

106.5 (nee 96.3) is currently owned by Austin resident Bryan King. He also owns 102.9 in Llano and 95.7 in Mason.

KAJZ at 106.5 can't really move into Austin because of first-adjacents on 106.3 in Belton and Gonzales, a first-adjacent in Terrell Hills (San Antonio) on 106.7 (and another 106.7 in Hewitt south of Waco) as well as being short-spaced with third-adjacent 105.9 in Round Rock. Those are off the top of my head, there might be other spacing problems too. At 96.3 it would have also been impossible to move in because of second-adjacent 96.7 in Georgetown.

Oh, so he owns KITY and KOTY. It seems odd he's going with Smooth Jazz and not selling a 'combo' buy with KITY in the Highland Lakes. It still makes me wonder if the moves are the result of other stations moving around and throwing a little cash his way to do so.

Going back a little more than 10 years, there was a proposal that would have moved about 20 stations from just south of Oklahoma City to San Antonio that was ultimately scuttled either because one of the parties backed out or disappeared and couldn't be reached. One of the proposed moves called for what's now KAJZ to move to 107.3. There was the thought that the station could be moved either closer to Austin as a rimshot, and one of the big broadcasters, I think HBC/Univision, purchased an option to buy the station or bought it outright through a subsidiary.

Since the deal didn't end up happening, the station was sold again, not sure if to Bryan King or someone else in-between.

bturner said:
Oh, so he owns KITY and KOTY. It seems odd he's going with Smooth Jazz and not selling a 'combo' buy with KITY in the Highland Lakes. It still makes me wonder if the moves are the result of other stations moving around and throwing a little cash his way to do so.

I can't speak to the current situation, but I do believe (and perhaps Mr. Fybush can add some additional details) that KAJZ when it was at 96.3 was a puzzle piece in the proposed massive realignment that would have shuffled dozens of stations across Texas (and a few in Oklahoma too I remember).

Some of the highlights of the plan were to move 97.7 fully in to the San Antonio market and shift KWTX from 97.5 to 97.3 and move it from Waco to Lakeway (Austin). In doing so, 97.3 in San Antonio was moving down to 96.9 and 96.7 in Austin was going to 96.5. That's where 96.3 in Llano fit in. There was a lot more moving parts to the proposal, but I think it is all basically dead at this point.

bturner said:
KAJZ is Smooth Jazz and a well done format. It is constant music with an ID at :60 and :30. I've never heard a commercial on the station the past few years, only a short PSA (my mental clock says it was under 30 seconds).

I remember hearing those PSAs too, and I did hear one of those Red Cross commercials, at least I think it was that or some other non-profit national organization.

Ryan Williams said:
Some of the highlights of the plan were to move 97.7 fully in to the San Antonio market and shift KWTX from 97.5 to 97.3 and move it from Waco to Lakeway (Austin). In doing so, 97.3 in San Antonio was moving down to 96.9 and 96.7 in Austin was going to 96.5. That's where 96.3 in Llano fit in. There was a lot more moving parts to the proposal, but I think it is all basically dead at this point.

The long and short of the proposal was that it would move KLAK into DFW on the Wise County tower 96.7, 98.3, 101.7 and others are on. KWTX-FM would move into Austin, and what's now KZAR 97.7 would move to the Tower of the Americas. I never understood why Clear Channel agreed to participate in it. It didn't look like it gained anything out of the deal. It would have ended up with exactly the same number of stations in Austin and San Antonio, would have had to divest one station in Austin, and wouldn't have been able to acquire another DFW station. I believe there was also a deal that allowed Clear Channel a right to first refusal on purchasing Waco's 92.9 if the deal was granted, but that would mean it would have had to pay extra to replace the station it lost in Waco.

Whatever the reasoning behind it, the Texas and Oklahoma shuffle is long dead. The southern half of the proposed move was presented as a counterproposal to a new allotment as recently as 2005, but the new allotment was granted over the counterproposal. I don't remember why the FCC found it defective that time, but the decision pretty well spelled out that the FCC was sick of hearing it. Since Univision has sold 97.7, we can pretty well assume they've given up the ghost of ever getting that stick moved into San Antonio proper.

I was up there in the area a couple weeks ago and 106.5 was definitely off the air. Couldn't receive it, or it's translator.

This is the reason you didn't hear them (excerpted from an STA request filed in early July): [SIZE=-1]

KAJZ SILENT REQUEST

KAJZ WAS ISSUED BMPH-20110825ABP TO CHANGE FREQUENCY AND CONSTRUCT NEW FACIALITIES ON CH 293A. CONSTRUCTION WAS DONE BUT THE MOUNTING SYSTEM OF THE ANTENNA WAS NOT DEEMED SUBSTANTIAL. DURING THE REMOVAL OF THE ANTENNA TO REMEDY THAT MOUNTING SYSTEM, THAT ANTENNA WAS DAMAGED. A NEW ANTENNA HAS ALREADY BEEN ORDERED FROM THE FACTORY. THE STATION WISHES TO REMAIN SILENT UNTIL THE NEW ANTENNA IS DELIVERED AND CAN BE INSTALLED. THE APPLICANT BELIEVES THE NEW ANTENNA AND CONSTRUCTION CAN BE COMPLETE WITHIN 6 MONTHS.[/SIZE]

Drove through these areas several weeks ago and did not hear the NAC/SJ at either location, guess they're still not on the air

The long and short of the proposal was that it would move KLAK into DFW on the Wise County tower 96.7, 98.3, 101.7 and others are on. KWTX-FM would move into Austin, and what's now KZAR 97.7 would move to the Tower of the Americas. I never understood why Clear Channel agreed to participate in it. It didn't look like it gained anything out of the deal. It would have ended up with exactly the same number of stations in Austin and San Antonio, would have had to divest one station in Austin, and wouldn't have been able to acquire another DFW station. I believe there was also a deal that allowed Clear Channel a right to first refusal on purchasing Waco's 92.9 if the deal was granted, but that would mean it would have had to pay extra to replace the station it lost in Waco.

Whatever the reasoning behind it, the Texas and Oklahoma shuffle is long dead. The southern half of the proposed move was presented as a counterproposal to a new allotment as recently as 2005, but the new allotment was granted over the counterproposal. I don't remember why the FCC found it defective that time, but the decision pretty well spelled out that the FCC was sick of hearing it. Since Univision has sold 97.7, we can pretty well assume they've given up the ghost of ever getting that stick moved into San Antonio proper.

Sounds like a Roy Henderson docket. I remember he had a grand plan in Michigan which involved moving and upgrading several stations. This didn't happen, but some new allocations were dropped in. Read it here: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=00-69

The Station Is On The Air Playing Smooth Jazz Love The Choice Hate How Jazz Has Been Treated Since About 2006!!

I Have My Own Idea On What I Like The FCC To Do With Texas Radio Since About 2001 When I Was In A Shop In South Austin!!

I too remember driving through the area listening to KAJZ and the K271BC translator. Wonder if the translator, too, is back? Haven't been out that way in a while......that NAC in the area should be enjoyable as always!

Yes the 102.1 translator is also on the air, it gives KAJZ a good signal where 106.5 is a little weak (but better than it was before).

I wish KAJZ had a webstream of some kind. Would like to hear if they are sat-fed "The Smoothest Place on Your Radio" which is mostly bleh, or is it a localized jukebox ala KOAZ ABQ, KYSJ Coos Bay etc?

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom