• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gary McHenry,WFLA

flwfg

Frequent Participant
Haven't listened to WFLA 970 AM in a long while... and maybe I missed something here... but what happened to Gary McHenry???

Re: Gary McHenry

Yeah, but he had been back on the air after that, wasn't he??? Nothing on WFLA's site or even Tedd Webb's Where Are They Now site...

I haven't been listening to WFLA much lately, but I'm pretty sure I've heard him doing traffic recently. I remember at the time marveling at the fact that he still has a gig. It's a beautiful thing, that guy is a legend.

Cedric said:
I haven't been listening to WFLA much lately, but I'm pretty sure I've heard him doing traffic recently. I remember at the time marveling at the fact that he still has a gig. It's a beautiful thing, that guy is a legend.

The last time I heard him doing traffic I was up super early (5 am or so) but that was also earlier this year

Most days, I heard Daisy Ash doing traffic on WMTX and WXXL. Recently I heard another guy doing reports on WMTX while Daisy was still on WXXL.

I've been paying closer attention to the radio the last few weeks, and it's become pretty obvious that Gary's not on the air. I'm surprised no one here has the dish on this. Gary's a link back to the salad days of talk radio in this area. Hope he's OK. I know he's had health problems in the past. Can anyone provide some clue?

I see Gary almost everday. As James said he is fine and has been working out of the Gandy building for sometime now.

r

I was under the impression G-Mac did his traffic reports entirely via ISDN now. In a BTLS song during the 98 Rock era, "Ned" pointed out how McHenry is "just a [expletive] slouch; ain't in a plane, he's doing traffic from his [expletive] couch."

I'll never forget the time towards the end of Lassiter's last gig at WFLA Bob thought he could throw Gary for a loop by telling him to give the current traffic for his hometown area in New Jersey. Without missing a beat Gary proceeded to do so flawlessly. All Bob could manage in response was, "I hate him."

I'll never forget the time towards the end of Lassiter's last gig at WFLA...

I miss Lassiter.
A friend and I were discussing his show just a few days ago over breakfast. One of a kind. A real talent.

Sad news, RIP David Gary McHenry, there is a short obituary in this past Friday's Tampa Bay Times that I just located online. When I listened to AM radio, I always enjoyed his humor during his traffic reports. I know that last time I did hear him probably 2 or 3 years ago, I noticed the speech problem that made me think he may have had a stroke and after reading the posts here, I have found out he did have a stroke. 61 years on this earth is too short of a time. RIP David Gary McHenry.

(Also much to my surprise if he's listed on the Central Florida website; I could not find a mention of him.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom