• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.7 OKC

hello4

Frequent Participant
Certainly a 1) testimony to their low ratings, and 2) how little anyone cares about anything in this market, but does anybody have any scoop about the Eggman and Shawn being gone from mornings at 99.7? Did they decide to save money and go satellite 24/7? Was the audacity of playing requests (of songs that were not sufficiently tested and vetted by appropriate consultants) too much of a turnoff to the listeners, who've been zombified into wanting to hear "Higher Love" every 7.3 hours?

I listened to them in Tulsa quite a bit when the Tropo ducting was strong enough, and it was alright. Decent station. If they would have actually had an online stream, i would have listened regularly. Not having a functioning website or online stream is quite a turn off for listeners, most don't even know of its existence.

hello4 said:
Certainly a 1) testimony to their low ratings, and 2) how little anyone cares about anything in this market, but does anybody have any scoop about the Eggman and Shawn being gone from mornings at 99.7? Did they decide to save money and go satellite 24/7? Was the audacity of playing requests (of songs that were not sufficiently tested and vetted by appropriate consultants) too much of a turnoff to the listeners, who've been zombified into wanting to hear "Higher Love" every 7.3 hours?

There are too many stations in OKC competing for the same listeners.

All these stations, though each of them has their own unique sound, are pretty much competing for the same listeners and playing a lot of the same music. 99.7, 92.5, and 107.7 sound decent in my opinion. Flip 94.7 and 96.9 to some other format and watch the ratings for the remaining stations increase.

Somebody could clean-up in this market with an old WKY/KOMA style personality radio station complete with over-the-top contests, fun jingles, high-energy fun DJ's, with a large playlist from 1965-1985. KOMA was almost there at one time, but it's become Hard Oldies or Lite Classic Rock (take your pick). The only good thing about KOMA is a very nice PD and two great personalities in Ronnie & Fred.

bchristi said:
hello4 said:

There are too many stations in OKC competing for the same listeners.

All these stations, though each of them has their own unique sound, are pretty much competing for the same listeners and playing a lot of the same music. 99.7, 92.5, and 107.7 sound decent in my opinion. Flip 94.7 and 96.9 to some other format and watch the ratings for the remaining stations increase.
I agree, OKC doesnt need 3 Classic Rock Stations. I love Classic Rock, But OKC seems a bit oversaturated with that format.

Okay, seems not too many people here are fond of 99.7. I, on the other hand, am a listener of it. I got sick of the Classic Rot that KRXO and Bob-FM were burning into ground. I don't want to hear Skynyrd, Seger, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, or AC/DC anymore. KOMA these days is a joke as far as I'm concerned. No one in OKC is doing anything close to an oldies format except 99.7 KZLS, despite the fact it's satellite from NYC.

To Scott Shannon's credit, he does a REAL oldies show Sunday evening from 7pm to midnight: Cruisin' America. Five hours of music from '56 to '66. If you have a craving for oldies, this show is where you get your fix. This has become my salvation for Sunday evening. And Scott always mentions us here in Oklahoma City. I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told OKC is the biggest market of his TOC and that he's gunning for KOMA to take it down a few notches (Tyler may have helped him out). The only real complaint I have about 99.7 is the timeframe of music. Scott's playing tunes ranging from the 50's well into the 80's. IMO once you get past about '73, it's no longer oldies, but more like Classic Rock, but that's just my opinion. It's one thing to hear a tune from 1961 and know it's an oldie, but to chase it with something from 1982 makes it hard to think you're still listening to an oldies station. Someone earlier commented about music from '65 to '85 for oldies. I say back it up ten years: '55 to '75.

Locally, I never was a fan of Eggman. He's been replaced by Dave Martin, formerly of KOMA afternoon drive. He and Shawn Carey are local/live from 6am -10am. I wish the True Oldies Channel all the best and would like to see it become a real contender in this market.

okcbill said:
And Scott always mentions us here in Oklahoma City. I don't know if it's true or not, but I was told OKC is the biggest market of his TOC and that he's gunning for KOMA to take it down a few notches (Tyler may have helped him out).

True Oldies is carried in three bigger markets than OKC, though it's on HD2 only in two of them and a class D AM in another.

You can get his list of affiliates (I don't know how current) at http://trueoldieschannel.com.

joelr said:
Good to hear that Dave Martin landed on 99.7. He was my favorite jock on KOMA.

I'm glad Dave landed a job at KXLS and I think he's a very nice guy. But KOMA's best jock? With Ronnie and Fred? Ronnie is a legend who works just as hard today on his show as he did in his heyday (last I heard). I think Dave Martin was the weakest link personality wise at KOMA, IMO. He always sounded like a country jock on an oldies station. He wasn't quick on his feet, sometimes allowed some really poor grammar to come out, and to me anyway, sounded out of place. But there's no question Dave is a good man and I wish him well at 99.7.

For the record, I love Shannon's playlist. I wish he had more jocks. With Scott doing all the voice tracking he seems like the busiest, hardest working jock -- who apparently never sleeps. He's on the air too many hours. Canned sidekicks with generic quips never work either.

But lots of potential at The TOC. I don't have faith in Tyler running KOMA; at one time not just a great Top 40 radio station, but, also at one time, one of the best oldies radio stations in the entire country.

Bob T.

BobbyTbone said:
joelr said:
Good to hear that Dave Martin landed on 99.7. He was my favorite jock on KOMA.

I'm glad Dave landed a job at KXLS and I think he's a very nice guy. But KOMA's best jock?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I said Dave Martin was my favorite jock. That is very subjective from person to person. He might not be the best technically or the most well known, but I've always enjoyed Dave on the air. Ronnie Kaye is a market legend, but his Elvis programming gets old. No question, I also enjoy Fred when I'm back in OKC. (And he tells the greatest radio stories on Facebook and on this board as well).

Mr Martin was one of my favorites on the station. I've never met Ronnie or Fred, but I've talked to many people who know them and they all speak highly of them both.

I listened to 99.7's morning show not long ago. I hope that Dave and Shawn can get in the groove. In my opinion, they are good at what they do, but it didn't sound to me like the chemistry was mixing well between the two of them. Dave may be a better jock when he's by himself as opposed to being on with a partner. But what do I know? I'm just a toe. I wish them well.

Maybe they will have it on both stations. While I would love to have an oldies station on AM, I would hate to lose it on 99.7. They seem to be selling some OKC advertising with it on 99.7. I would think selling OKC advertising on 1640, without 99.7, would be very difficult.

The biggest loss for me would be that 1640 is in the x-band, so the vintage radios in my collection won't be able to get it in. My vintage AM-FM radios have no trouble getting in 99.7.

Last edited:
Get ready to "Crank the Hank" on 99.7. The classic country format Tyler got rid of will be coming to 99.7. New calls will be KNAH ("Hank" spelled backward).

In terms of programming, it's a really smart move. Classic country on KKNG 93.3 got really good ratings before being shuffled to the lesser signal. Of course, it wasn't an easy sell, but the demand is very much there in terms of ears. I hope Dave Martin doesn't get shafted for the second time in a year. He's a good guy and, from everything I heard, was always well-liked and did more than what was asked of him.

Get ready to "Crank the Hank" on 99.7. The classic country format Tyler got rid of will be coming to 99.7. New calls will be KNAH ("Hank" spelled backward).

In terms of programming, it's a really smart move. Classic country on KKNG 93.3 got really good ratings before being shuffled to the lesser signal. Of course, it wasn't an easy sell, but the demand is very much there in terms of ears. I hope Dave Martin doesn't get shafted for the second time in a year. He's a good guy and, from everything I heard, was always well-liked and did more than what was asked of him.

Oh boy, this is going to be interesting on so many levels.

OKC has never been able to support a fourth country station long term, despite how popular the format is here. It's been tried many times and has never lasted. My guess is either this station won't last long, or it will become a big hit and ClearChannel will flip KXY. I am not sure how long KXY has been classic country but I remember it used to be new country back when KKNG was doing classic country on 93.3. I don't really see classic country in particular being popular enough to support more than one station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom