• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Avicii - Wake Me Up! -- Crossing Over to Alternative?

Hey everyone,

On my way back from Lowes, I had SiriusXM's Alt Nation on and thought I was listening to BPM. They now have Avicii - Wake Me Up in rotation. Would love to see promoters push this to increasingly dance friendly alternative stations, who already have a hit with Daft Punk's latest.

I'm sure it won't be long before KHTS/Live 105 San Francisco adds this, and other stations follow. Nice to see dance penetrating not only the hip hop scene, but also alternative.

Yeah, that would be nice.

On another note, can't stand the use of alternative anymore. What is it really an alternative to? It's not like what alternative music originally was, more obscure music which included dance.

I think it's time for a new genre...maybe we can call it "Level Alternative" or something more obscure. A genre that plays more obscure modern rock, dance, etc... a level mix of different types of music...stuff that doesn't get regular airplay.

The reason the rock stations will play it is because Incubus guitarist Mike Einziger worked on it. Similar to last year's deadmau5 track "Professional Griefers" getting play on "alt" stations thanks to the appearance of My Chemical Romance's Gerard Way.

Heard this on AAA stations CIDR/93.9 The River (Windsor/Detroit) and WQKL 107.1 Ann Arbor. Won't be surprised if Alt Rocker CIMX - 89X and CHR's Channel 955 and 98.7 Amp Radio jump on this track soon.

Let's face it....the EDM "sound" has become the new alternative in that sense. At first I thought only dubstep would be "adopted" into that side but now it's grown further.

Maybe a dance/EDM station is something I should avoid and push on alternative stations? At least they're giving this a chance.... :(

Nothin to get excited over really. Just another watered down song that will fizzle in a couple months, then back to regular programming

lol!

Well, I heard it on the New @ 2 Drive Thru Mix on 101.5 KZON.
After the song played the guy on air said "Now I know many of you are wondering what the ---- is this?" Then he announced the artist and title. If my memory serves correctly I think the song is ok. I should take another listen though.

It's been showing a good amount of strength at Triple A--up to #10 for the current week; that prompted Billboard to do a story...

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/radio/5687179/rock-radio-is-up-on-dance-superstar-avicii

Personally I wish I had a beat up pick-up truck and drive it through farmlands and the countryside :)

Well, there was a recent CMT Edge interview/feature about the song...

http://www.cmtedge.com/2013/09/03/avicii-adds-acoustic-guitar-americana-to-edm

:p

I don't get him.......and never will. Reminds me of Chris Brown (what's all the fuss about).

Hi guys, I left a year ago and am back.........had some issues with this site and LEFT.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom