• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAYD rebrands as NASH

radioinsight.com broke it, but it's not like they're really hiding it. Despite the sweepers saying "perhaps we've said too much" about the 3:00 launch, for the past hour if you go to kayd.com it's 101.7 Nash FM. Prepare for the same launch audio all the others have used in about 15 minutes.

stan said:
I know what is intended by this, but this is the image I have - http://fivesgear.com/Nash/Nash-Metropolitan.html#.UdVQJ2S9LTo

Parents had a '58 Rambler when I was a kid. If I had a dollar for every warm body I ever hid in the trunk for free admission when we'd go see a movie at the old Airline Drive-In... :D

Sorry...back on topic. They've rebranded KAYD, which is like rebranding KILT "The Bull". Call it what you like, but it'll always be KD 97/101 to the oldtimers.

Actually, 101 will always be Oldies 101.7 to me, in its brief version as KIOL, after KWDX moved to Silsbee. ;D

stan said:
Actually, 101 will always be Oldies 101.7 to me, in its brief version as KIOL, after KWDX moved to Silsbee. ;D

You're right. What I meant was that the stations' handle itself will always be "KD" to the oldtimers like us, regardless of it being at 97.5 or 101.7. BTW, IIRC the call for Oldies 101.7 was KLOI. I don't remember the KIOL calls in SE Texas before Cumulus brought them down here to "replace" KLOL.

It seems in Beaumont; Cumulus have always been the losers. Clear Channel (or iHeartRadio) have continuously dominated Beaumont. For Cumulus it is one of their most laughable and pitiful markets.

I think, ever since Cumulus made that foolish move to put KD97 on 101.7, they lost their momentum against KYKR. Cumulus shot themselves in the foot by moving KAYD to 101.7 instead of 97.5. 97.5 has a stronger signal, and could even reach Houston. While KYKR 95.1 is a small little class C1 that could barely make it to Houston or Lake Charles. So for Cumulus this was a totally boneheaded move.

By the way, does anyone know the original format of KWDX? I do not remember what they used to play. Also, were they always on 101.7 or was it moved there? (I know there used to be a station in De Ridder located at 101.7; dunno if there was any interference between the two stations.)

I think, ever since Cumulus made that foolish move to put KD97 on 101.7, they lost their momentum against KYKR. Cumulus shot themselves in the foot by moving KAYD to 101.7 instead of 97.5. 97.5 has a stronger signal, and could even reach Houston. While KYKR 95.1 is a small little class C1 that could barely make it to Houston or Lake Charles. So for Cumulus this was a totally boneheaded move.

A C0 is hardly "little" and is more than adequate to cover the market. There is no added revenue potential from rimshotting Houston or Lake Charles.

It seems in Beaumont; Cumulus have always been the losers. Clear Channel (or iHeartRadio) have continuously dominated Beaumont. For Cumulus it is one of their most laughable and pitiful markets.

By the way, does anyone know the original format of KWDX? I do not remember what they used to play. Also, were they always on 101.7 or was it moved there? (I know there used to be a station in De Ridder located at 101.7; dunno if there was any interference between the two stations.)

KWDX was country, then moved toward Beaumont from Silsbee, the calls changed to KIOL, and the format to oldies. This was before KCOL came to be.

By the way, Cumulus has the top rated station in the market - KTCX.

While that may be true that KTCX is dominating - I could say the same for Townsquare in Lake Charles, for 107 Jamz KJMH is actually dominating KYKZ 96, when this has never been seen before.

All I am saying is if Cumulus put the KAYD format on 97.5 they would have put (Clear Channel) iHeartRadio in it's place. Relocating it to 101.7 was a huge mistake. There are people in Lake Charles that even listen to KISS 104.5 as well as Big Dog 106. KYKR is at a disadvantage there; and does not have a strong enough signal. Do you see the point I am making? KYKR is only winning because KAYD is no longer at class C station 97.5

Look at this miserable string of bad luck by KAYD:

http://www.stationratings.com/sr_ratings.aspx?market=149

Just goes to show that putting Country on a small C3 is going to get boring, fast. Now even an AM station like KLVI is getting more ratings! There is almost no competition, either! Now that is just pathetic. Texans are supposed to like their country music, and KAYD is the lowest station and plays country!!

I bet you a Beaumont country listener will only listen to KYKR and then will switch right to the Lake Charles stations. (KYKZ 96.1 and KNGT 99.5) for alternatives - that would be the only explanation why KAYD is sucking pretty bad in this market.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom