• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGWG in Boiling Springs going Internet only

I'd love to see it go to WNCW. I live in Indian Land, SC and neither their main signal nor their two LP feeds in Charlotte are clear enough to listen to. I actually get a pretty good signal from WGWG.

nelsonincharlotte said:
http://152.44.63.252/newscenter/?p=5338

Sad for the loyal listeners. Will be interesting to see who buys the 88.3 frequency. Maybe it will become Charlotte's first FM sports station.

Charlotte already has a Radio Station operating on 88.3 FM - W202BW. It transmits out of Harrisburg, N.C., making it all but impossible to get WGWG in Center City, Charlotte. Start traveling out of Center City, say about 12 to 14 miles and you can get WGWG (for now). They actually play some great music on that station. I have always listened to it when I travel to Tennessee. Steve.

Im in Gaffney about 15 miles south of WGWG...no need to simulcast WNCW on it, we get a good signal on 88.7 even with WNSC a bit stronger right next to it. Another option would be Richburg Educational (owns WRBK) or sell to someone who'll continue the format...it's got a lot of listeners in Gaffney & Spartanburg.

As a listener, I"m sorry that Gardner-Webb is joining the list of colleges that are using online as a reason to cash out their broadcast signals. I do understand the business side of it, given the pressures many small private colleges are facing.

I'd say the most likely buyer of the station will be religious, both because they are the ones making most NCE purchases these days and because the college is Baptist-affiliated. Another possibility could be as a repeater for the Charlotte or Asheville NPR station.

One factor that could play into who might buy WGWG is whether it could be moved into the Charlotte market. If so the value would go up significantly. I'm not an engineer, but maybe a C2 from the WBAV tower would be possible. It would have to be directional to protect the 88.1 in Hickory and 88.5 in Winston-Salem. Since translators are secondary, the Charlotte signal on 88.3 would not be a factor.

Neil Griffin said:
As a listener, I"m sorry that Gardner-Webb is joining the list of colleges that are using online as a reason to cash out their broadcast signals. I do understand the business side of it, given the pressures many small private colleges are facing.

I'd say the most likely buyer of the station will be religious, both because they are the ones making most NCE purchases these days and because the college is Baptist-affiliated. Another possibility could be as a repeater for the Charlotte or Asheville NPR station.

One factor that could play into who might buy WGWG is whether it could be moved into the Charlotte market. If so the value would go up significantly. I'm not an engineer, but maybe a C2 from the WBAV tower would be possible. It would have to be directional to protect the 88.1 in Hickory and 88.5 in Winston-Salem. Since translators are secondary, the Charlotte signal on 88.3 would not be a factor.

I would love to see this happen. Boot the translator station off the frequency, and have 88.3 come to Gastonia, NC -&- re-transmit ''Oldies'' from WRBK 90.3 FM. I appreciate all forms of music from the '70s, '80s, '90s and going forward. ''Officially'' bringing WRBK to Charlotte would be good for Charlotte since there is currently no Oldies format. But WRBK is about the "home town sound" of small towns in South Carolina, and that mentality would most certainly all but be lost if WRBK went ''commercial'' and focused on Charlotte. One can hope, though, because WRBK has said ''No!'' several times when asked for a feed from the web. Time will tell. Steve.

Would love for BBN on 91.1 WYFG to swap with 88.3.
91.1 has a good signal from Greenville to Gastonia and is just a few miles away from me.
I bet the AAA format would do well and get lots of listener support,
But I don't see 91.1 BBN in Gaffney going away. :(

KyleAndMelissa22 said:
Would love for BBN on 91.1 WYFG to swap with 88.3.
91.1 has a good signal from Greenville to Gastonia and is just a few miles away from me.
I bet the AAA format would do well and get lots of listener support,
But I don't see 91.1 BBN in Gaffney going away. :(
What's sad about that? We need good Christian music.

KyleAndMelissa22 said:
89.3 & 91.5 and Hangar Radio Z in the Upstate as well as 106.9 WMIT have us inundated extremely well,
so does 89.7 from the midlands.
On the way to the beach, somehow the "scan" function on my car radio picked up 89.7 and wow, that was bad. Really bad.

91.7 FM in Florence has some good Christian music.

vchimpanzee said:
On the way to the beach, somehow the "scan" function on my car radio picked up 89.7 and wow, that was bad. Really bad.

89.7 WMHK has a throws a very strong signal east-west from Columbia and easily reaches most of the Pee Dee.
Surprised it can make it up here as good as WCOS even with a directional null towards the north.
Where did you try scanning for it...

Back on topic, I'd really like to see WGWG's format stick around, perhaps they can sell to WNCW (Isothermal CC) who can operate it as-is,
would complement WNCW's format which is sometimes similar especially the World Cafe with David Dye.

KyleAndMelissa22 said:
89.7 WMHK has a throws a very strong signal east-west from Columbia and easily reaches most of the Pee Dee.
Surprised it can make it up here as good as WCOS even with a directional null towards the north.

Forgot to note the 89.7 translator in Greenville (His Radio Praise)
which has the same CCM format as the 89.7 in Columbia & the 89.3 also in Greenville.

KyleAndMelissa22 said:
vchimpanzee said:

I would have never intentionally tried scanning for THAT, but somewhere between Hamlet and Bennettsville.

The end is near for WGWG, at least as an over the air station. They have been sold to Columbia International University, owners of 9 WRCM and WMHK. The application also includes a main studio waiver request to co-locate with WRCM. Given WRCM's signal limitations to the west, the 88.3 signal is a good fit.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101586067&formid=314&fac_num=23156

Sorry to see WGWG leave the air. I wish them well as an online only station. I hope the 1.2 million is put to good use at GWU.

Would Columbia International be able to move the station east a little bit? Maybe a little east of Shelby so the station could better cover Gaston County?

As of this week, WGWG on 88.3 is no more.
88.3 is now simulcasting WRCM "New Life 91.9"
The call letters have also changed to WRZM.
They still ID themselves as New Life 91.9

Just heard their ID as "WRCM Wingate & WRZM Boiling Springs, Shelby & The Upstate"

I figured this had probably "went down" recently, as the 88.3 Repeater from Harrisburg, N.C. was coming in "way too well" for me all this week.. What a loss for parts of Charlotte and surrounding areas. Steve.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom